E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 rod knock/spun bearing tracking

12-19-2020, 12:08 AM   #397
AJN55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
I think the first critical mistake in any analysis here is to not be open minded about the possibilities. Especially when we are working with very limited data.

The second mistake is when we try to compare the N55 to n54. In most ways these engines are similar but yet they are very different. Especially the oil system. So it doesnt actually matter how many rods n54s spin. Because they are not a truly apple to apple comparison. In engineering world, EVERY nut and bolt has to be the same to compare these two engines.

This is a N55 issue. And it has to be looked at as such. Forget n54.

The fact that one has 1 turbo and the other 2 tells you that fundamentally the oiling is completely different.

So for the love of god dont tell us how many n54s fail. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

You might as well tell me how many boxer subaru engines fail...
2011 335 owner and first time forum poster here. I was told by an “expert” independent bmw mechanic that the N55’s will spin bearings when you corner too hard while at a high RPM sending the oil to one side of the engine to where the oil pump doesn’t pick up enough oil and “starves it of oil” causing a spun bearing
Not sure how accurate that really is, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 06:06 AM   #398
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJN55 View Post
2011 335 owner and first time forum poster here. I was told by an “expert” independent bmw mechanic that the N55’s will spin bearings when you corner too hard while at a high RPM sending the oil to one side of the engine to where the oil pump doesn’t pick up enough oil and “starves it of oil” causing a spun bearing
Not sure how accurate that really is, but who knows.
That has been discussed and makes alot of sense. It could very well be a reason for X amount of fails.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #399
AJN55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Come to think of it, I do recall some discussion about oil pump upgrades / swaps that will supposedly eliminate this issue. However, that still doesn’t solve why some have had their engines lock up while casually cruising down the highway without any warning beforehand. Although those cases do seem to be pretty rare, it’s still concerning for a lot of N55 owners since this will mechanically total some people’s cars.
Even though I’ve always kept my oil changed around every 4K miles, and it’s always been very well maintained, I’m still a bit reluctant to modify it heavily because of this issue. (Even though I’d really like to)
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #400
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
I think the first critical mistake in any analysis here is to not be open minded about the possibilities. Especially when we are working with very limited data.

The second mistake is when we try to compare the N55 to n54. In most ways these engines are similar but yet they are very different. Especially the oil system. So it doesnt actually matter how many rods n54s spin. Because they are not a truly apple to apple comparison. In engineering world, EVERY nut and bolt has to be the same to compare these two engines.

This is a N55 issue. And it has to be looked at as such. Forget n54.

The fact that one has 1 turbo and the other 2 tells you that fundamentally the oiling is completely different.

So for the love of god dont tell us how many n54s fail. IT DOES NOT MATTER.

You might as well tell me how many boxer subaru engines fail...
it absolutely matters because the entire bases of your "open minded idea" is that the N54 DOESNT HAVE THIS PART and that is why it's an issue on n55 and NOT on n54...

that's why n54 matters... you can't say this part is an issue on N55 because n54's don't have it and then ignore the logic that says that actually doesn't make any sense because "oh were not talking about n54's." that's just idiotic.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #401
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

bbnks2, you just twisted what Pladi said into a pretzel. He pretty much just said to have an open mind of the possibility of the problem being due to this part that is in one engine, but not the other.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #402
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
bbnks2, you just twisted what Pladi said into a pretzel. He pretty much just said to have an open mind of the possibility of the problem being due to this part that is in one engine, but not the other.
the only basis for saying this valve is an issue is that it doesn't exist on the n54. Period. Nothing "pretzel" about that.

Being open minded isn't the issue. Having SOME indication that the part is actually faulty is the issue... nothing was presented AT ALL to suggest it's faulty other then that it exists. So, there is nothing to be open minded about. That's just ignroance.

Are you going to be open minded and entertain my outlandish idea that the reason you see n55 spun bearings is because they don't have an 8 bolt crank like early N54's?

Why is it so hard to just say "OK yeah the oil control valve being an issue isn't actually supported by anything."
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #403
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Likely these cars will all be long since in junkyards before a definitive answer is known. Like fatty I chose to change out the bearings, as I don't know if the leasee that had the car before me allowed a proper warmup prior to gunning it. And why would he as he / she (it, they) could have cared less as they only intended on having the car for 2 years and 21 k miles. I am glad they leased it as it saved me 22 grand. Ill leave it to you to determine the cause, hopefully before your engine ceases up, and you stand there saying I don't know. I do like the 8 bolts on the crank hub possibility though.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #404
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
it absolutely matters because the entire bases of your "open minded idea" is that the N54 DOESNT HAVE THIS PART and that is why it's an issue on n55 and NOT on n54...

that's why n54 matters... you can't say this part is an issue on N55 because n54's don't have it and then ignore the logic that says that actually doesn't make any sense because "oh were not talking about n54's." that's just idiotic.
All i ask is that you ask yourself. When BMW developed the N55 engine, were they putting the n54 in the engine stand to do all the tests lol. If the answer is NO. Then you just have to retire this n54 fails outlook. Because it just doesnt matter. You cant compare your data with another engine.. for that reason you cant use another engines fails/performance to try and find root cause for some other engine. End of story.

But but but they are similar.. doesnt matter. Not good enough for an engineering outlook.

But i dont blame ur outlook. Doesnt look like you have ever worked on ECNs/ECOs/ECCs. Otherwise you would not try to compare apples and bananas.
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      12-21-2020, 03:04 PM   #405
akk
new
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335xi

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have had my e92 n55 xi (build date 2011-10-13) since september 2019, bought with 91k kms on it, now have 132k kms. Last 20k approximately have been mhd stage 1+, and whoever had it before me was likely using the same (bought the car with bigger IC and charge pipe, and MHD was already installed on the car - although in map 0). I've been using liqui moly 5w30 special tec, OCI approcimately 7-8k kms. Only issues so far have been typical e9x - water pump failed, squeaky belt pulleys, brake pad wear sensor (still havent been able to fix). Never done an oil analysis, although I probably should. I look in my oil filter after every oil change but never seen any specks of metal or any particles really.
      12-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #406
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All i ask is that you ask yourself. When BMW developed the N55 engine, were they putting the n54 in the engine stand to do all the tests lol. If the answer is NO. Then you just have to retire this n54 fails outlook. Because it just doesnt matter. You cant compare your data with another engine.. for that reason you cant use another engines fails/performance to try and find root cause for some other engine. End of story.

But but but they are similar.. doesnt matter. Not good enough for an engineering outlook.

But i dont blame ur outlook. Doesnt look like you have ever worked on ECNs/ECOs/ECCs. Otherwise you would not try to compare apples and bananas.
wow just wow. for the umpteenth time... the only reason why n54 is even relevant is because you presented the idea that THIS VALVE IS AN ISSUE IS BECAUSE IT DOESNT EXIST ON THE N54. your logic and fuer's not mine.

Your argument: "n54's don't spin bearings so this new part they put on the N55 must be an issue"
My counter point: "N54's actually do spin bearings all the time... also, the valve has never been shown to be an issue. N55 oil pressure logs have never shown any oil pressure issues either except under heavy braking and lateral g's (a sump issue).

You're the one comparing "apples to bananas" bud. You're the one with the severe lack of any kind of "engineering outlook."

If the basis for your argument has now changed from "the n54 doesn't have this valve and the n55 does so that's why it might be an issue" to something else then so be it. So then you're literally just saying the valve could be an issue because we need to keep an open mind and anything is possible... got it! no problem I agree! Anything is possible! So investigate it and find out if there is any basis to saying the valve is an issue! Put some actual thought into it. That's what an engineer would do. They wouldn't just make stuff up. Prove my counter-points wrong...

Last edited by bbnks2; 12-21-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #407
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
wow just wow. for the umpteenth time... the only reason why n54 is even relevant is because you presented the idea that THIS VALVE IS AN ISSUE IS BECAUSE IT DOESNT EXIST ON THE N54. your logic and fuer's not mine.

Your argument: "n54's don't spin bearings so this new part they put on the N55 must be an issue"
My counter point: "N54's actually do spin bearings all the time... also, the valve has never been shown to be an issue. N55 oil pressure logs have never shown any oil pressure issues either except under heavy braking and lateral g's (a sump issue).

You're the one comparing "apples to bananas" bud. You're the one with the severe lack of any kind of "engineering outlook."

If the basis for your argument has now changed from "the n54 doesn't have this valve and the n55 does so that's why it might be an issue" to something else then so be it. So then you're literally just saying the valve could be an issue because we need to keep an open mind and anything is possible... got it! no problem I agree! Anything is possible! So investigate it and find out if there is any basis to saying the valve is an issue! Put some actual thought into it. That's what an engineer would do. They wouldn't just make stuff up. Prove my counter-points wrong...
you need to go an read again what I have written. If you still don't understand keep re reading until you do. Just keep reading....
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      12-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #408
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
you need to go an read again what I have written. If you still don't understand keep re reading until you do. Just keep reading....
yes... another response with 0 actual content to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #409
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes... another response with 0 actual content to it.
No, no, no....content is there, you just not getting it.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      12-21-2020, 08:23 PM   #410
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

"N55 oil pressure logs have never shown any oil pressure issues either except under heavy braking and lateral g's (a sump issue)."

On the original xcel sheet there should have been a column, did you have the failure while racing. It seems that the failures seem to occur while guys are just driving them down the street though. Many times shortly after the oil housing gasket change.

"Prove my counter-points wrong..."

You are asking for a double negative kind of response.

In two years fatty and me will be the only ones left commenting here, as everybody else will have either blown their engines, or totalled the cars out. We still won't know what caused all of the failures. fatty and me will be debating on whether or not we should do another proactive bearing swap.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:02 PM   #411
james_sparti
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 xdrive

Desperate new poster here. I have (had) a 2013 335 xdrive with a manual transmission and the M Perforance Kit installed. I bought it from a dealership 2 months ago and although it had 80k miles I took it to a bimmer focused mechanic who gave the green light for purchase because it was so pristine. Engine bay was clean as a whistle and so was the interior. I digress...

Perfect car for 2 months, then on an open highway the other night, I opened it up and got 120 and the marbles in the engine noise started. I got home, had it towed in the morning and mechanic says thrown rod, new engine.

What do I do? I paid 17k for it and hold a note. Is there any recourse with BMW NA? I'm so effed. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #412
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

If your mechanic is correct, first that sucks and second engine will be your best bet. You can break down and see if it salvageable but that will take time (labor) and it might not be worth it in the end.

I don't think BMW aknowledges the issue so not sure you will get anywhere there, BUT it wouldn't hurt to try they might throw you a bone. You state also has no protection for used car so dead end there. Sucks to be welcomed to the world of BMW like this but 19 pages of heart ache, you are not alone, surprise there's not a suit on this.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #413
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_sparti View Post
Desperate new poster here. I have (had) a 2013 335 xdrive with a manual transmission and the M Perforance Kit installed. I bought it from a dealership 2 months ago and although it had 80k miles I took it to a bimmer focused mechanic who gave the green light for purchase because it was so pristine. Engine bay was clean as a whistle and so was the interior. I digress...

Perfect car for 2 months, then on an open highway the other night, I opened it up and got 120 and the marbles in the engine noise started. I got home, had it towed in the morning and mechanic says thrown rod, new engine.

What do I do? I paid 17k for it and hold a note. Is there any recourse with BMW NA? I'm so effed. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance
You bought this from bmw dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:18 PM   #414
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
You bought this from bmw dealer?
Exactly, no 6 month, or at least 90 day warranty?
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      07-13-2021, 05:34 PM   #415
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Add me to the club e93 335i built 11/2011 (2012). Got car at 60k miles with no issues and not sure service history. Changed oil every 5k after.. Now knock that started at 82k. Going to try to just change bearing..
No racing or oil dry issue since i have had car.. Always warmed up before driving since i have had car. Really dont think any of that matters with these engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #416
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So sorry TF.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #417
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i

Garage List
I had quite the bearing failure about 6 years ago...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059413

still got the car and other than a pcv issue and now a unresolved vanos solenoid issue its been pretty good to me..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #418
Falko123
China
Rep
Drives: Bmw E93, N55

i can also share some positive on the rod bearings.
i disassembled my engine for upgrading the internals at 184.000km around 120.000kms on MHD stage 2+ and all my rod bearings were perfect.
one of the main bearings had slight marks. maybe that came from the oil filter gasket change i did, or the shredded serpentine belt blocking the oil pump, when I bought it.
Appreciate 0