E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Mishimoto fan advice - worth it?

02-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Mishimoto fan advice - worth it?

Hey everyone, did my water pump and thermostat this weekend, and I'm tired of removing the crappy radiator fan. Pretty sure I broke a hose when reinstalling, so I'm going to have to go back in this weekend and see if I can find the one I need to replace. Has anyone used the Mishimoto fan upgrade? Seems like a pretty easy install, is much smaller than stock so it's easier to remove, and is stated to provide better cooling, higher cfm.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-mishimot...mmfan-14c~msh/
      02-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

what information do you have that makes it an easier install than the original equipment designed part? The radiator fan is a single connector, one screw and paying attention to making sure the clips attach correctly.

The Mishimoto fan appears to be "universal" fit, which to me is always a red flag that mounting such universal part is usually a PIA.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
what information do you have that makes it an easier install than the original equipment designed part? The radiator fan is a single connector, one screw and paying attention to making sure the clips attach correctly.

The Mishimoto fan appears to be "universal" fit, which to me is always a red flag that mounting such universal part is usually a PIA.

My 2 cents.
I probably won't do it. I was referring to the pita of taking the fan out and putting it back in. So much stuff in the way, and I end up taking this thing out quite often. Was thinking a smaller fan might make it easier, but yeah, I don't know enough about how it attaches. Anyway, found a coolant leak so I'm onto something else now.