E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > need help on paint shades

11-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

need help on paint shades

had to have front bumper repainted (vermillion red) was originally done by same paint shop and they gave me the paint mix details. had a scrape went in and the first time the colour was too light, second time the paint is too dark. bumper was black when first painted as is primer on car im thinking the bumper needs priming black first then painting. does anyone have painting experience thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

From personal expereince the colour of the primer does tend to have an affect on the final colour

for example if the primer was grey and the final colour was alpine white, you may get a different shade say if you used a white primer or black primer

i would say find out what the original primer colour was.

Dont rule out the paintshop may not have mixed the colours correctly
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I learnt that car paint is an absolute bloody mine field. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
From personal expereince the colour of the primer does tend to have an affect on the final colour

for example if the primer was grey and the final colour was alpine white, you may get a different shade say if you used a white primer or black primer

i would say find out what the original primer colour was.

Dont rule out the paintshop may not have mixed the colours correctly
the car primer is black, the bumper was black, when the paint shop painted the bumper (m sport) the first time the paint match was perfect and they gave me the paint calculations to keep for future reference. when they repaired the scratch i gave them the claculations but the colour looked 2 shades too light so it went back and this time it is too dark. i think the first mix was probably correct if they had black primed the bumper first.
Appreciate 0