E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW ICOM?

12-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

BMW ICOM?

Hi,

I was looking at getting a good san tool for my BWM and came across BMW ICOM systems. Would this be a good alternative to provide some added value and functionality? Or am I getting in way over my head considering plugging this into my car

Here are some of the units ( some are even a few hundred more then a decent scanner)

http://www.cnautotool.com/search.php?keywords=BMW+ICOM
http://www.obdresource.com/category....4#.VIXBD74-DL8

I like several more basic units too (Autel MD704, creator c110) but I don't plan on ever driving anything other then BMW

Any info about the ICON/ISIS (real world exp and reliability ext) or OBD scanners would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

If you just want to scan for faults, clear them and do diagnostics and maybe some light coding you don't need an ICOM. A K+DCAN cable is good enough with either BMW Standard Tools or BMW Rheingold.

RHEINGOLD is ISTA-D and runs natively on windows with K+DCAN cables. It's very good dealer diagnostic software. Pretty much does every function you'd ever need.

ICOM is really needed when updating software on the vehicle where a stable and reliable connection is required over several hours.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Indeed for reading and clearing fault codes a k+dcan cable would be fine. (and is also a lot cheaper)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the replies

The thing with the k+dcan is I would need to get a pc or run bootcamp since I run mac. The draw I see with the ICOM was that some setups came with a pc in the 600-1200 range.

As far as something more modest thats more of a scanner what is a good choice other then k+dcan?

For handhelds I've been looking at:
-BMWhat app ($100 range)
-Autel MD704 ($250 range)
-Creator c110 ($50 range)
-icarsoft i910 ($150 range)

For K+dcan if i decide to run bootcamp on mac:
AutoEnginuity ($250 range)
Bavarian Technic ($300 range)
or
https://www.bmwtechinfo.com (BMW NA provided service but it has a daily charge of 30$)

Any info on if these handled scanners are worth a shot? Or is a full scanner a better option to get a full picture of whats going on under the hood of a sick car (ICOM/auto logic/Lauch/Autel)

Im by no means a professional more of a DIY tinkerer looking to save a visit to the dealer and the wait time of 1-2weeks for a dealer appointment. The ability to change coils,plugs, injectors ect would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I use a Mac sometimes no problem with a windows VMware XP virtual machine and ISTA-D installed.

As I said there is no better diagnostic software. Its dealer level software and It's freely available now all over the Internet. Plus it's very user friendly!

So price is Cable + Windows XP CD key for the virtual machine...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks Sensible, trying to find a good source for this program and looking into how to setup windows on my Mac. Should have listened to my dad when he said not to buy a mac lol.

Does ISTA-D provide technical diagrams and instructions like ISIS/ICOM? Cant find much info online about the software except a few silent videos
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09_335 View Post
Thanks Sensible, trying to find a good source for this program and looking into how to setup windows on my Mac. Should have listened to my dad when he said not to buy a mac lol.

Does ISTA-D provide technical diagrams and instructions like ISIS/ICOM? Cant find much info online about the software except a few silent videos
Ok, i'll try to explain.

ISIS is a BMW server platform for dealers. All updates are downloaded to the ISIS.

From there the ISIS updates ISID (diagnostics) tablets and ISSS (programming) if applicable.

The ISID runs an embedded windows xp OS.

Installed on the ISID is a program called ISTA-D (recent versions are codenamed 'Rheingold')

ISTA-D you can do all diagnostic functions, battery registrations etc etc. it also has wiring diagrams and guides on changing parts.

Some clever russians keep leaking the ISTA-D installer and it can easily be installed on any windows operating system. I can give you download links. They are around 10gb.

In ISTA-D you have a connection manager or how you wish to connect the computer to the odb port.

The common ones are:

ICOM
EDIABAS
OMITEC USB

ICOM is BMW official cable, its predocessor was an OPPS unit. An ICOM is more than just a cable however, it has its own network adapter, mac address, cpu, cooling etc etc. Originals are expensive but you can get cheap chinese clones for around $350 USD.

EDIABAS is a communication protocal which requires you to have BMW Standard Tools installed aswell - which isnt a bad thing! This utilises comport access amongst other connection methods and is configured by an ini file. Most people use this method of connection as its cheap, you can get a K+DCAN cable for under $50 USD now. Just do your research first as there ar bad clones about!

OMITEC is also an original USB interface. These are very rare. K+DCAN cable are copies of the OMITEC cable.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Awsome that clears up a lot surrounding the all the different acronyms. ISTA-D is what I want for troubleshooting and repairs.

So essentially the ICOM is the orange and black WLAN/LAN adapter to connect to the BMW

Like this

http://www.cnautotool.com/goods-4556...30+Laptop.html

And the K+DCAN is the usb to OBD2 Cable to emulate the same result with lower investment

both ways I would still be running the same program in the end ISTA-D

Thanks for all your help Sensible, everything makes a lot more sense now!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Teq
First Lieutenant
Rep

I see online that someone is willing to install it for 100 euro's. I see positive feedback from his customers.
The software in the link is old.
On the mac install vmware, clean windows installation and pay someone who is willing to install it for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teq
I see online that someone is willing to install it for 100 euro's. I see positive feedback from his customers.
The software in the link is old.
On the mac install vmware, clean windows installation and pay someone who is willing to install it for you.
Dude, it's free and easy to install
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
juliano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90, 320d, Touring

On diesel cars (BMW) with PDF fitted which one of these programs can produce/initiate a forced DPF regeneration?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #12
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Rheingold will be best.
      11-24-2015, 03:17 AM   #13
mohalo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 2008

Where can i download the free version Rheingold? I need the software only, or should i buy one here http://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/ic...-hdd-win7.html

Last edited by mohalo; 12-16-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:37 AM   #14
ctuna
Major General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI

http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=10224

this site can point you at the right mega downloads .
There is another kind of like it

http://mhhauto.com/Thread-BMW-Standa...NPA-Tool32-etc

Last edited by ctuna; 11-24-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #15
carol chen
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: benz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohalo View Post
Where can i download the free version Rheingold? I need the software only, or should i buy one here http://www.obd365.com/wholesale/icom...-hdd-win7.html
Many online stores sell the software. I have bought the BMW ICOM from the Auto Repair Tools. I saw the title of the product is same, maybe they are in same company. If you want to buy, you can look at this one: RHEINGOLD ISTA-D for BMW MULTI-LANGUAGE WITH ENGINEER PROGRAMMING SUPPORT WIN8
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #16
lalaura
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
If you just want to scan for faults, clear them and do diagnostics and maybe some light coding you don't need an ICOM. A K+DCAN cable is good enough with either BMW Standard Tools or BMW Rheingold.

RHEINGOLD is ISTA-D and runs natively on windows with K+DCAN cables. It's very good dealer diagnostic software. Pretty much does every function you'd ever need.

ICOM is really needed when updating software on the vehicle where a stable and reliable connection is required over several hours.
but K+DCAN cable seems not for most new cars. i got it before..really worked fine.., but for my new 14' 740Li, i had to buy ICOM emulator
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 05:24 AM   #17
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Of course. But this is e90 forum. F-Series is different. ICOM definitely recommended although there is ENET functionality also...
Appreciate 0