E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i mapping

05-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #23
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Electronics; just signals going from A to B. Interception like JB4 does is perfectly legitimate IMO.

The huge advantage of the JB4 is the user base and how well tested it is. Compare that maps being sold all over the place that the installers really don't understand because they bought it from a company in Germany or something. Now multiply that by the amount of places offering "their own" maps worldwide compared to JB4 where your support is the people who developed it.

The DME in the 335 is ancient, any off the shelf processor would crush it. I'm surprised there aren't more ECU swaps or people doing the JB4 route but with something way more powerful as it is also very old these days.
You are right re the Siemens ECU takes an age to modify and download map data compared with the more advanced Bosch EDC set up. Re the JB4 again your correct re signal transfer which it does and as you say just look at the test bed it has re data its enormous yet for me personally its the way its fitted the execution that I'm not a big fan of if you look at the offerings elsewhere Cobb do a far better job, yet the Cobb simply doesn't offer the user the JB4's flexibility.

For me I opted for a map it puts me in a weaker position for so many reasons yet at the same time for me its the most "ideal" answer to re mapping
      05-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #24
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

I wouldn't even bother with the JB4. just get MHD and call it done.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #25
teamshock nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Where can I get the JB4 or the MHD?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #26
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamshock nick View Post
Where can I get the JB4 or the MHD?
Google play store for MHD

JB4 is on Burger Tuning website
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #27
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

Another vote for MHD here, it was a no-brainer for me. Not knocking the JB4, I did lots of research and chose the option that was best suited for my situation. A small part of that decision was also down to the availability in the UK. I have no regrets after many many months of use.

As it has been stated, yes the maps on MHD are OTS (off the shelf, generic N54 maps) but isn't that the case with the Cobb AP, other similar solutions and even the Stock BMW-designed DME maps? MHD does give the option to flash custom maps from a tuner, however after extensive logging the OTS maps are performing very well for my set up.

Many new features are being developed for MHD, and my experiences with support from both MHD and WedgePerformance have been top notch.

Unfortunately can't really comment on the JB4 but from what I have seen the support looks good, with a large very helpful user base (that don't seem to have nackered N54's ).

OP, I would suggest reading the basics of both methods as each system has its advantages/disadvantages , it's just deciding what system will suit YOU best
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #28
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
JB4 is big on every n54 forum and I'll take it over any "custom" map any day. Too many "tuning" companies claim to know what they're doing.

I will always go with products that have been around and tested fully by members.

I've got a cobb map btw OP.

I have used a JB Plus in the past and Terry knows his stuff.

I got no idea what people are after when remapping?

I am after reliability and bhp.

JB4 and Cobb have been around and provide just that.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #29
TGNY 335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
JB4 is big on every n54 forum and I'll take it over any "custom" map any day. Too many "tuning" companies claim to know what they're doing.

I will always go with products that have been around and tested fully by members.

I've got a cobb map btw OP.

I have used a JB Plus in the past and Terry knows his stuff.

I got no idea what people are after when remapping?

I am after reliability and bhp.

JB4 and Cobb have been around and provide just that.

that's all because around these parts all you have to do is pay to advertise and you can do or say whatever you wish. you could say you're a brain surgeon here and if you pay to advertise, its truth.

Also, I get your feelings about the tried and true scenario. but don't forget that the tried and true offering you speak of still has issues everyday. So really, your point is kinda moot in my opinion.

There are a lot of people who know their stuff and a lot of people who don't. Whether its a re-flash tune or a piggyback tune. There are things that some of the companies that been around forever tuning these cars apparently that deem/deemed things as not working, or not useful for years. and until recently didn't realize how wrong they were. and it was a couple of the newer companies that made it known.

Fact is if you're getting a custom anything, your tuner needs to be in tune with your wants, not what the tuner wants. unless the tuner feels the safety limits have been reached specific to the build they are working. the tuners that simply do what they want with your car regardless of what you tell them you want, are the ones you need to stay clear from.

this whole post is just opinion with some factual stuff as well. so it can be taken with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0