E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2274 Air Mass

06-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i 6MT

2274 Air Mass

Hello,

Just installed my BMS intake and the first few days it ran fine. No weird idles or CEL, or weird start ups. Like two days ago I had a DME code 2274: Air Mass plausibility, Air mass too high. I deleted the code and yesterday it came back up. Any ideas of what it could be? After installing the new intake I made just everything was plugged back in and tight on. Car hit's boost fine and runs normal. If there is anything I should monitor (MHD gauges) or be aware of or what I can do to find out what is causing this that would be helpful.

2011 BMW 335i e92 N55 FBO MHD S2+

IG: @Verifyez
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640i M-Sport GC

Reset MHD adaptation for intake mass flow/MAF.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBean View Post
Okay will do. I've never done it before so when I reset it, do I just like drive normal for a bit. Then eventually be able to get on it?

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:57 PM   #4
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin__ View Post
Quote:
Okay will do. I've never done it before so when I reset it, do I just like drive normal for a bit. Then eventually be able to get on it?
I'd drive it normally for 5-10 miles to let it learn, then you can get on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd drive it normally for 5-10 miles to let it learn, then you can get on it.
Okay that's what I did yesterday. I'll keep you updated this week. Hopefully the code won't pop up again, thanks dude!

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
E90joee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Had this code on and off for about a year even after cleaning maf, will be switching back to stock this weekend :
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright so the code came back again. Any other tips or ideas I should try?

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Alright so the code came back again. Any other tips or ideas I should try?
I would reflash the MHD map. Is there a check engine light? Does it run normally?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would reflash the MHD map. Is there a check engine light? Does it run normally?
No CEL. Before I reset adaptations I cleaned the MAF then reset it and surprisingly it came back lol. And yeah car runs totally fine. Posted below will be a link to a log I did last night. I'm still in the process of learning how to read them and what to look out for, but by what I know atm it seems pretty good? The car doesn't hesitate or bounce at idle either, I'm hitting good boost like the car runs fine imo. But I'm sure getting that air mass code means I'm running lean which I'm sure that it isn't good for your car? Idk I've read that it's normal for our cars to lean out sometimes.

07-08-19 Log:
https://datazap.me/u/kalv/07-08-19?log=0&data=3-15

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

There's something strange going on with your boost. When you're part throttle at the beginning, it hits 9.9 psi with a target of 0.3 psi, and AFR is 16 which is super lean. I've never seen that before. Your old logs do the same too. At the beginning, pedal position is 42% but it's got throttle closure down to 18. Then in the mid range you're 3 psi off target, but when you shift from 3rd to 4th you hit the 18 psi target. My first thought is a bad boost solenoid, but I'm not sure. Are any of the old logs with the stock intake?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #11
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's something strange going on with your boost. When you're part throttle at the beginning, it hits 9.9 psi with a target of 0.3 psi, and AFR is 16 which is super lean. I've never seen that before. Your old logs do the same too. At the beginning, pedal position is 42% but it's got throttle closure down to 18. Then in the mid range you're 3 psi off target, but when you shift from 3rd to 4th you hit the 18 psi target. My first thought is a bad boost solenoid, but I'm not sure. Are any of the old logs with the stock intake?
Yeah I noticed the boost is strange looking at the logs. What is "normal" for AFR"s? Especially when going WOT? I'm thinking I got a slight boost leak from the boost solenoid. I'd say like a month ago I got that buzzing sound and I've read and watched videos that it is the boost solenoid going out. Yet I haven't had any codes besides the MAF one for like the whole month while being tuned. Also if there a huge play in the pedal position and throttle closure? I don't know too much about that

And yes I'll post these logs below, I put on my BMS intake June 20th so any of the logs before that had the stock airbox.

Logs

https://datazap.me/u/kalv/second-run...32-33-34-35-36

https://datazap.me/u/kalv/run-060419?log=0&data=3-15

https://datazap.me/u/kalv/1st-run-06...og=0&data=3-15

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

AFR should be in the 12's, which yours is at other times. If your solenoid is buzzing then that probably is the culprit. Throttle closure is usually caused by wheel spin or overboost, and you certainly have overboost at the beginning there. Looks like you had the same issue with the stock intake too. Here's the best place to get a new solenoid: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rg-11747626351 The free shipping will say something crazy like 8-10 days, but you'll get it in about 3.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #13
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AFR should be in the 12's, which yours is at other times. If your solenoid is buzzing then that probably is the culprit. Throttle closure is usually caused by wheel spin or overboost, and you certainly have overboost at the beginning there. Looks like you had the same issue with the stock intake too. Here's the best place to get a new solenoid: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...rg-11747626351 The free shipping will say something crazy like 8-10 days, but you'll get it in about 3.
Okay great! I just ordered the solenoid and see if that will fix the boost leak. Also with the new solenoid would that help my car not lean out so much? The solenoid did buzz once like within the first few days my car was flashed. Unless you think the intake is causing my car to lean out? I don't know too much about how cars run lean etc, but obviously I wouldn't want my car to keep running lean. Thanks for the helpful info, appreciate it!

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #14
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay great! I just ordered the solenoid and see if that will fix the boost leak. Also with the new solenoid would that help my car not lean out so much? The solenoid did buzz once like within the first few days my car was flashed. Unless you think the intake is causing my car to lean out? I don't know too much about how cars run lean etc, but obviously I wouldn't want my car to keep running lean. Thanks for the helpful info, appreciate it!
Yeah the only reason it goes lean is because it's going way over boost target, so hopefully the solenoid will fix that. The intake wouldn't cause that. Let me know what you find out.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #15
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the only reason it goes lean is because it's going way over boost target, so hopefully the solenoid will fix that. The intake wouldn't cause that. Let me know what you find out.
Will do. Solenoid should be in here today, will do a few logs this weekend. Thanks for all your help and giving me good information! Appreciate it. I'll keep ya updated

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #16
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey dude! Yesterday I installed my Boost Solenoid. Unfortunately as I pulled the intake tube out it snapped the PCV Crankcase Vent Hose lol. So my friend and I ghetto rigged it. Ducked tape the freak out of it and but a hose clamp on. Ran the car normal for a bit then got on it. Car felt amazing so i did one log last night to see how everything was running. My timing corrections seem to be all over the place but I don't know too much about that. It seems like my AFR's never hit above 15 nor get's pegged at there so I'm assuming I am not running lean anymore? My new Vent hose should be here in a few days so idk if that would have a huge effect on my logs. The link is posted below. Take a look and lmk how it looks!

Link:
https://datazap.me/u/kalv/07-15-19-n...og=0&data=3-15

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
CoffeeBean
Lieutenant
Rep

Those timing corrections are actually not bad. You'll always have some here and there, even on the stock tune. The key is not having sustained corrections much past 5 degrees. The AFR looks good. The parts that are reading high are when you were not WOT so it was still in closed loop using the O2 sensors, so it's going to fluctuate. Notice up top after you went WOT the AFR was in the 12s where you want to be. The really good thing here though is the solenoid did the trick as it's not going way over boost anymore. Get that hose replaced and you should be good.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
Kalvin__
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those timing corrections are actually not bad. You'll always have some here and there, even on the stock tune. The key is not having sustained corrections much past 5 degrees. The AFR looks good. The parts that are reading high are when you were not WOT so it was still in closed loop using the O2 sensors, so it's going to fluctuate. Notice up top after you went WOT the AFR was in the 12s where you want to be. The really good thing here though is the solenoid did the trick as it's not going way over boost anymore. Get that hose replaced and you should be good.
Awesome. Thanks for the helpful information dude, appreciate it! If anything happens down the road or if I have any questions with my logs I'll be sure to get in contact with you again. Thanks!

Appreciate 0