E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Car has stalled twice, electrical codes

06-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
fisc0h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive/m-sport

Car has stalled twice, electrical codes

Hi All,

Long post, but I was hoping somebody might be able to help me

I have been consistently having some electrical codes thrown. None of them trigger a SES light. More pressing is that I have had my car completely stall on me, twice.

I had been FBO running E40 without issue for years. I then installed PS2, Fuel-It Stage 2 bucketless LPFP, new plugs/coils, JB4+MHD_BEF. Car was actually running quite well, until my alternator died a few days after install(had that and battery replaced). Logs were looking good with pump and E30. Flashed the E85_BEF and xHP Stage 3 and filled up with E40-E45ish. Car was pulling smoothly and extremely hard, in maps 2, 5, and 7.

I was doing a 3rd gear pull, back-to-back (after driving on the freeway for 30min), and on the 2nd run, my car completely died. The car would crank, but wouldn’t turn over. Had my car towed to a shop and it actually started when they checked on it several hours later. The next day, it actually was driving fine. They reset some adaptions and throttle settings (could this have been from the xHP?) with INPA and car actually was driving fine, apart from a boost leak from the hot-side charge pipe. I repositioned and tightened the T-clamp and the boost leak was much better. 3 weeks later, I was doing some pulls in map2 and map7 and things looked OK (stock plastic pipe is probably out of round and I'm waiting for ER or VRSF aftermarket option). Then, when accelerating in 3rd gear, my car stalled, again! I was able to reset adaptations and let the car sit for a few minutes and the car actually started and ran fine.

These electrical codes (below) appear (oil sensor doesn't seem to work when this happens), and the fuel pump codes appear right after the car stalls (hpfp looks ok per my logs). I’m still under CPO for a couple weeks and was going to bring the car to the dealer for a proper diagnosis. So, I flashed DME back to stock. I left JB4 on to do some runs and replicate the codes; however, I wasn’t able to get any of the electrical codes to pop up, despite doing 10 back to back 3rd gear pulls. So, I flashed back to MHD BEF the next day, and after a few pulls, the codes showed up again. What’s weird is that MHD can find more codes, but ISTA/D-Rheingold doesn’t see all of them (3847)?

So, I’m wondering what the issue is causing my car to stall.
- Overheating EKP module?? I’ve ordered a heatsink as my module is scorching hot on the bottom. Seems like both times were after I had been driving the car pretty hard and then under 3rd gear load?
- Can having a boost leak and increased PWM cause issues with the EKP, causing LPFP/HPFP to crash?

And is MHD flash causing an issue, as I have only been able to reproduce these codes with it installed.
- Could it be that the BEF is commanding more load and stressing things more?

Appreciate any help/insight. Thx!

Codes:
- DME active codes -
3446 - BSD, message; oil condition sensor: Missing.
378F - BSD, message; electric coolant pump: Missing.
3792 - Engine cooling system: Coolant pump speed outside the tolerance.
3847 Generator, Kommunikation: Bus-Fehler
38A4 - BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Missing.
- DME shadow (inactive) codes -
2BEC - High fuel pressure after engine shutdown: Pressure too high.

LOGS
http://datazap.me/u/djgj/map-2-3rd-g...log=0&data=1-4
http://datazap.me/u/djgj/stall-1?log=0&data=1-4
http://datazap.me/u/djgj/map-7-2nd-stall?log=0&data=1-4
http://datazap.me/u/djgj/2nd-stall?log=0&data=1-4

also posted my this previously here:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46861
Attached Files
File Type: zip csv_logs.zip (8.8 KB, 60 views)
      06-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
fisc0h
Private
Rep

bump
      08-16-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
sw1183
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Same issues here - would love to know why!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
AJL
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

"Generator, Kommunikation: Bus-Fehler" translates fairly easily to "Generator, communication: bus error".. seems like a good place to start since the alternator was just replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
fisc0h
Private
Rep

Just wanted to update on my issues.

I thought MHD could have been the issue to my car stalling, so flashed back to stock, but kept my JB4. I also thought my EKP module could be overheating, so got a used one of a 2013 328i and coded it to my car. Despite doing these things, my car stalled again, under normal load this time (not during hard runs, high load, as was previously the case). Had HPFP codes and fuel rail codes. Figured it had to be my HPFP failing, although I didn't have the classic symptom of long cranks. Also, per my logs, HPFP pressures seemed to be maintaining.

Since then, had one random instance of half-engine light, with accompanying shadow hpfp codes, but no stalling. Reset adaptations again and car has been running fine, probably for more than 800mi now.

So, I guess my main issue was with a failing hpfp. Haven't had those random electrical codes come back and have been driving my car spiritedly.
      08-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Hellvis
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 11 335i xDrive Msport

Look at your engine ground cable... it's a long shot but worth looking
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:30 PM   #7
noahhrrs47
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (n55)

Was this issue ever resolved. I’ve related to this post so much. I’m having the same symptoms and same issues. Would help me out a lot to know more about your diagnosis and if the problem ever came back
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhrrs47 View Post
Was this issue ever resolved. IÂ’ve related to this post so much. IÂ’m having the same symptoms and same issues. Would help me out a lot to know more about your diagnosis and if the problem ever came back
Have you guys checked to see if the JB4 is responsive during the period after the engine shuts down?

I have experienced stalling and then completely normal operation the next day. I discovered right after he stall event the JB4 is not responsive. When pressing both steering wheel buttons down nothing happens. I believe I have tracked it down to a couple wires being pinched by the DME cover.

Just some thoughts.
Appreciate 0