E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > $500 Bmw 3 Series (325i) and $1000 Bmw 3 Series (330i)

06-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

$500 Bmw 3 Series (325i) and $1000 Bmw 3 Series (330i)

Okay so upon my search for parts needed to do repairs to the $500 2006 325i that I just bought, I have discovered another car for sale. I need help to decide if this is a good idea or not. Now keep in mind I am the guy who always makes out for the better somehow. Call it luck or divine intervention or skill I don't know but 99% of business dealings pay off in the end or I at least break even. Without the knowledge and advice of you guys on here this may be the 1% so I await your input before buying. I just don't know enough about these cars to make a decision. I am the kind of person who is a doer and I will research and repair these cars on my own regardless of what they need Where there a will there a way. My thought is the ditch the running 325i project and take on this other bmw project because well the car is immaculate. The 325 will never look close to this unless I spent a fortune on it way more than its worth plus the 325 has 200k on the clock. this other car has 122k on the clock
The car is being sold for $1000 and it is a 2006 330i dark blue tan interior. Exterior is 9/10 very clean the interior is 10/10 looks mint which must be rare with tan interior. The lady is telling me that the fuel pump went out and she just didn't fix it. Tags are 3 months overdue ( I have a dmv hack for that I will share). She says she has kids and needs a car that doesn't require as much maintenance as a BMW does . What could be the worst case scenario about this fuel pump issue ? Could we possibly have a completely wasted motor? How do i know if it doesn't run or start that it is really the pump thats the issue ? Maybe its only a fuse or filter even? Maybe a hose has come loose or ? Should I take the chance on it? The car in super super clean looking beautiful actually .
What do you guys think? I need to decide quick before its gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Check codes to confirm pump failure. And any other surprises
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Christ man, if you like trouble so much why not get an e46?

How much disposable cash do you have? If enough, fuck it, get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't love trouble but not scared of it either. I'm a single guy with no bills to speak of, no debt, my business brings in cash daily, I've got nothing really to do with it and I have been looking for a project for awhile, something to keep me from wasting money on women, drugs, and booze.
To pull codes will I need a BMW specific scan tool or just a standard OBD2 reader? if BMW specific where would I find this locally as there no time to order something this car will get snatched up.I like my Chrysler 300 no scanner needed, do the key dance and codes are displayed on the dash.
So the lady just told me its her nieces car and she was told by her mechanic that the fuel tank was bad but the ad said fuel pump. I read on some post here about a known issue with the fuel tank on the 330i. Does this mean anything to anyone? Fuel tank an expensive repair? Can a tank from a 325i of the same year be used in the 330i?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I don't know how a fuel tank "goes bad". It's plastic. Unless it has been ruptured, I just don't see how it "goes bad".

The fuel pump is under $200 and takes about an hour to install. Pull the back seat cushion, remove the access plate, pull the pump and reinstall the new one.

Like someone already said, scan the car and pull the codes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #6
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3series View Post
I don't love trouble but not scared of it either. I'm a single guy with no bills to speak of, no debt, my business brings in cash daily, I've got nothing really to do with it and I have been looking for a project for awhile, something to keep me from wasting money on women, drugs, and booze.
To pull codes will I need a BMW specific scan tool or just a standard OBD2 reader? if BMW specific where would I find this locally as there no time to order something this car will get snatched up.I like my Chrysler 300 no scanner needed, do the key dance and codes are displayed on the dash.
So the lady just told me its her nieces car and she was told by her mechanic that the fuel tank was bad but the ad said fuel pump. I read on some post here about a known issue with the fuel tank on the 330i. Does this mean anything to anyone? Fuel tank an expensive repair? Can a tank from a 325i of the same year be used in the 330i?

I was going to post this when I saw your original post but did not want to sound negative. But a $500 325i E90 is almost always a parts car. They are mostly base model cars and in worse shape than the 330i of that era.

The good news is the 325i and 330i are mostly the same parts. Intake manifold, rear end, transmission software, exhaust are slightly different. Plus 330i got many standard options such as xenon lights, leather seats and logic 7 stereo.

The fuel tanks don't really go bad. But the sending units (drivers side) can leak. Smell for gas in the drivers side rear wheel well. Those have hoses that hook to the fuel pump (passenger side) which is plastic and can break when taking it apart. Both parts about $400 together. There are youtube videos of people removing the tank because they don't know these parts can be accessed from under the rear seat. You could easily swap your entire 325i tank into the 330i to avoid breaking the brittle internal parts.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17303.00
      06-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I miss spending money on women and booze....
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17303.00
      06-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
So... you're celibate AND not married?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

[QUOTE=cali3series;24913438] And I have been looking for a project for awhile, something to keep me from wasting money on women, drugs, and booze. /QUOTE]

Hah I need to get into this hobby of restoring cars
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No longer married .....celibate?...lol thats a weird thing to say. Im not joining a monastery, just burnt out on partying my life away, sleeping with a different chic every night and wasting all kinds of cash on buying these nice ladies drinks all night and paying for them to uber home in the morning or afternoon rather by the time we roll out of bed or crawl out from under a rock somewhere. Calling me celibate is like calling Elton John or Richard Simmons heterosexual. Its just as far off as you can get. Besides I will never change my evil ways, I only intend to take a vacation from intoxication, fornication, stimulation, and mutual @##$%^^%$. With the money I don't spend on partying and women I can buy I car a week so why not play around with a few low dollar BMWs just to get my feet wet and learn a little but about these cars and whats involved in doing repairs. I don't plan to be cruising around in a 2006 325 or 330i No offense to anyone who does but if you saw either of mine up close youd understand. I have a 2013 Benz, a 62 SS Impala, and a 2006 Chrysler 300 on 24s which is my favorite car to drive. Here are pics of the gem I just picked up yesterday for $700
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
So... you're celibate AND not married?
Lol, I meant partying with sluts
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #12
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No longer married .....celibate?...lol thats a weird thing to say. Im not joining a monastery, just burnt out on partying my life away, sleeping with a different chic every night and wasting all kinds of cash on buying these nice ladies drinks all night and paying for them to uber home in the morning or afternoon rather by the time we roll out of bed or crawl out from under a rock somewhere. Calling me celibate is like calling Elton John or Richard Simmons heterosexual. Its just as far off as you can get. Besides I will never change my evil ways, I only intend to take a vacation from intoxication, fornication, stimulation, and mutual @##$%^^%$. With the money I don't spend on partying and women I can buy I car a week so why not play around with a few low dollar BMWs just to get my feet wet and learn a little but about these cars and whats involved in doing repairs. I don't plan to be cruising around in a 2006 325 or 330i No offense to anyone who does but if you saw either of mine up close youd understand. I have a 2013 Benz, a 62 SS Impala, and a 2006 Chrysler 300 on 24s which is my favorite car to drive. Here are pics of the gem I just picked up yesterday for $700
My dad had a red 62 impala convertible.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
charlieb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Manual

Quote:
I’d venture to guess buying and repairing old BMW’s would be about the same thing.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17303.00
      06-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I meant my wife stills drinks a lot and still takes my money.

My advice to the young dudes here, if you find a woman who is into horses, run the fuck away.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #15
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
We'll this thread took an unexpected yet also kind of expected turn.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
I meant my wife stills drinks a lot and still takes my money.

My advice to the young dudes here, if you find a woman who is into horses, run the fuck away.
lol my mom is a horse person and I've seen the bills... My wife is pretty awesome, she let me get the car I wanted and barely costs me a penny.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #17
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ya'll some crazy mofo's on here man thats why i love this place I feel right at home here. I thought the word "sluts" would get me in trouble here or I would have used it to begin with. No disrespect to any Ladies here. Theres a huge difference between the two. As for the car its quite obvious its nowhere near what she claimed it to be 10/10 and 9/10 she had shown me a pic of the inside which is pretty nice but in person not quite as nice still good. She had stated the exterior was 9/10. As Im pulling up I see the front end has been replaced and the car is more like 5/10. but the engine bay looks good fuel pump does seem to be all that wrong Im researching the install procedure hoping to do this today

Last edited by Cali_MSport; 06-18-2019 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to make a comment about condition of car
Appreciate 0