E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Vacuum Lines/Hoses Replacement

10-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Xdrive (E92)

N55 Vacuum Lines/Hoses Replacement

Hey all, does anyone have a solid DIY on this? I have the Bentley manual and can't really find it, and all of the DIYs I'm seeing for this are on the N54, which has quite a different vacuum system from what I understand. I've replaced my boost solenoid and I know that two vacuum lines run off of that unit, so I can follow those lines and replace them. Are there others I should be looking for?

And when I die, make sure you spread my blood on a BMW
2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
Hey all, does anyone have a solid DIY on this? I have the Bentley manual and can't really find it, and all of the DIYs I'm seeing for this are on the N54, which has quite a different vacuum system from what I understand. I've replaced my boost solenoid and I know that two vacuum lines run off of that unit, so I can follow those lines and replace them. Are there others I should be looking for?
I asked myself your exact question. After plugging in the last seven of my VIN on realoemdotcom, I replaced the least expensive and most likely failure points i.e. the rubber composite tubing. The hose/tubing develops both memory brittleness after a few years of exposure to heat, etc. that makes reusing/reattaching the tubing without leakage (e.g. turbo to valve cover) questionable.
I have not come across a dedicated DIY for the N55 platform.

Mike
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
orteeze223.00
      10-12-2018, 03:47 AM   #3
TonyTony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E92 Msport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Ive just replaced mine and could do a diy
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251662.00
      10-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTony View Post
This would be super helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post
I asked myself your exact question. After plugging in the last seven of my VIN on realoemdotcom, I replaced the least expensive and most likely failure points i.e. the rubber composite tubing. The hose/tubing develops both memory brittleness after a few years of exposure to heat, etc. that makes reusing/reattaching the tubing without leakage (e.g. turbo to valve cover) questionable.

Mike
So these lines are different than the ones that run off of the boost solenoid?

2012 E92 335i xdrive | KW V1 Coilovers | ER Chargepipe | VRSF 7" HD | VRSF Catless DP | MHD Stage 2+ | xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehategod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTony View Post
This would be super helpful!

Quote:

Mike
So these lines are different than the ones that run off of the boost solenoid?
Both of the following: Part # 11657605416 is a very short vacuum hose and part #11657588773 is a much longer hose encased in a braided heat shielding material emanating from the pressure converter. The two diagrams above give you a starting point to locate leaks.
If you've already replaced those two lines, obviously the short non-insulated tubing runs to the valve cover. Accordingly, next to the short tube connection point on the valve cover, a longer piece of tubing exits your valve cover and is initially anchored to the bracket that secured both O2 sensors.
Does your car have a golf tee mod?
Appreciate 1
orteeze223.00
      10-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Both of the following: Part # 11657605416 is a very short vacuum hose and part #11657588773 is a much longer hose encased in a braided heat shielding material emanating from the pressure converter. The two diagrams above give you a starting point to locate leaks.
If you've already replaced those two lines, obviously the short non-insulated tubing runs to the valve cover. Accordingly, next to the short tube connection point on the valve cover, a longer piece of tubing exits your valve cover and is initially anchored to the bracket that secured both O2 sensors.
Does your car have a golf tee mod?
The one encased in a braided heat shield - does that need to be replaced with an OEM one? I ordered about 15' of vacuum hose and was planning on replacing everything with that. It does have a "golf tee" mod, I unplugged in the trunk.

Last edited by eyehategod; 10-14-2018 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

N55 is easy to do and honestly doesn't require much guidance. Almost everything is visible and possible with a bit of creativity and care (cut off the old hose rather than trying to wrestle them off and break nipples)
The N55 vacuum plumbing is far less susceptible to damage/ageing than the N54.

If you have done the golf tee mod then cap off the feed at the rocker cover instead.

The hardest part is the long hose from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate actuator and this is the one where creativity really helps.

The hose which i always find the most concerning is the short one from the rocker cover to the wastegate solenoid. It is almost always stiff and feels too easy to slide off. Sometimes the rubber joiner on the plastic line between the vacuum pump and the rocker cover id also a bit loose so a suitable spring clamp may give some more peace of mind. Just remember it is a vacuum system so the whole thing should suck together tighter and nothing will blow off.

I used BMW vacuum hose as I had heaps spare from another job. It used to come in 5m rolls.
Appreciate 1
cranelec102.50
      10-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Also looking forward to that DIY. I don't see many but I do see that hard line going across the engine bay.
I found the braided cloth like vacuum line going down towards the turbo but I can really see where it goes past the thermostat.

I'm assuming it goes to the black nipple (heh) near the front of the turbo in this pic by the wastegate. Looks like fun to get to.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Also looking forward to that DIY. I don't see many but I do see that hard line going across the engine bay.
I found the braided cloth like vacuum line going down towards the turbo but I can really see where it goes past the thermostat.

I'm assuming it goes to the black nipple (heh) near the front of the turbo in this pic by the wastegate. Looks like fun to get to.
That braided vacuum line should go right to the nipple on the wastegate. Pretty sure that the "nipple" you are looking at is a stud for the inlet pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mane View Post
That braided vacuum line should go right to the nipple on the wastegate. Pretty sure that the "nipple" you are looking at is a stud for the inlet pipe.
Ah that makes way more sense. Thank you. Hopefully its easier to reach. I don't really see where the DV vacuum line would go on any diagrams. I'm sure its pretty crusty by now too

Last edited by Rotorocious; 10-23-2018 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #11
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Ah that makes way more sense. Thank you. Hopefully its easier to reach. I don't really see where the DV vacuum line would go on any diagrams. I'm sure its pretty crusty by now too
No vacuum line to the DV, it's electronically operated. Wastegate is easier to reach from underneath the car I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #12
eyehategod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
N55 is easy to do and honestly doesn't require much guidance. Almost everything is visible and possible with a bit of creativity and care (cut off the old hose rather than trying to wrestle them off and break nipples)
The N55 vacuum plumbing is far less susceptible to damage/ageing than the N54.

If you have done the golf tee mod then cap off the feed at the rocker cover instead.

The hardest part is the long hose from the wastegate solenoid to the wastegate actuator and this is the one where creativity really helps.

The hose which i always find the most concerning is the short one from the rocker cover to the wastegate solenoid. It is almost always stiff and feels too easy to slide off. Sometimes the rubber joiner on the plastic line between the vacuum pump and the rocker cover id also a bit loose so a suitable spring clamp may give some more peace of mind. Just remember it is a vacuum system so the whole thing should suck together tighter and nothing will blow off.

I used BMW vacuum hose as I had heaps spare from another job. It used to come in 5m rolls.
Hey thanks for this post, really appreciate it. A little lost (I'm a complete noob), as I thought the wastegate solenoid and the wastegate actuator were the same thing? The only vacuum lines I could easily and visibly see were the two that run off of the solenoid, and one of my lines had a very big and visible gash in it that I noticed when I replaced the solenoid, so I know that I need to replace these. My question was if there are other vacuum lines outside of those two?

Also as far as the golf tee mod - can you explain that a little further? I'm not using a golf tee, I've got the cable for the exhaust flap disconnected in the trunk, I haven't done anything else besides that.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 03:14 AM   #13
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Solenoid is the electronic device which controls the vacuum applied to the wastegate actuator to close the wastegate and generate boost. Our cars' wastegates are controlled in the opposite manner to most turbos.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #14
LoneWolfPistol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Decent

I replaced my vac line that connects to the Westgate , Glad I did that braided line was on its way out. Also if you do replace it try to re-route it from the massive heat
      04-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #15
Zachwithnh
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport

Did anyone ever post a DIY for this? i didnt see anything and havent found a good engine pic with the lines outlined.
      04-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

When I did the valve cover, I replaced the two little ones on the boost solenoid. I will do the one to the wastegate actuator next time I am under the car. I recommend hose Candy hose, I have been using it on boosted cars for years, it is thick wall and will not pop off.

http://shop.hosec*********/silicone-hose/
      06-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
xxMike61
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

I tried to replace my solenoid but I couldnt get to the bottom nut and I couldnt even take off the vacuum lines. I'll try again when the engine is completely cold. Whats the best way to get to the turbo wastegate nipple?
      06-10-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
bnd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88, N55 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMike61 View Post
I tried to replace my solenoid but I couldnt get to the bottom nut and I couldnt even take off the vacuum lines. I'll try again when the engine is completely cold. Whats the best way to get to the turbo wastegate nipple?
Have you tried using a 1/4 drive with short extension or maybe a 1/4 drive long socket?

I decided to replace my vac lines while doing some other work, but did not change the solenoid yet. I had extra vac line from my N54, which had tons more than the N55. I used https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/ which was recommended on a thread I read somewhere.

My water pump and thermostat were out, so I probably had more access to my wastegate. I cut the existing line as close to the nipple as possible, then carefully cut length wise down the line with the nipple underneath. Take your time and it should come off or pull off after you release some tension/grip of the line. My existing line wasn't as bad or brittle as I would have expected, I have 65k on my 2011.

The line from solenoid to wastegate runs along the underside edge of your valve cover and is clipped toward the front of the engine. From there it drops down between your inlet and other pipes straight to the wastegate. The wastegate nip is metal, so if you can't see to cut you may be able to pull it without worrying about breaking a brittle plastic nipple. I would still be careful and use slow constant force to pull. The new line should push on pretty easy or at least mine did.

Here's some pics for reference. Also, I apologize that I'm writing this on my phone!
Attached Images

06-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #19
bnd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

wastegate solenoid with new line. You can see the old line dangling. I removed the old line

Last edited by bnd; 06-10-2019 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #20
xxMike61
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just ordered a 3/8 deep 10mm thought that would work. Maybe I can try when getting at it from under the car. Did you use any picks to take off the lines? Mine seemed glued on there.
Yeah I noticed that the vacuum line to the wastegate was really accessible when i was changing the DV. Hoped I wouldnt have to get under the car but it is gonna be worth it haha.
      06-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #21
bnd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMike61 View Post
I just ordered a 3/8 deep 10mm thought that would work. Maybe I can try when getting at it from under the car. Did you use any picks to take off the lines? Mine seemed glued on there.
Yeah I noticed that the vacuum line to the wastegate was really accessible when i was changing the DV. Hoped I wouldnt have to get under the car but it is gonna be worth it haha.
I did not use a pick for the lines. They pulled off after a couple of knife slices. I'm pretty sure a pick would be dangerous if I used it for these vac lines haha, but that's me.

How about those DV hex bolts? The top bolt was a slow pain for me! I was sure the bolt would be stripped.
      06-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #22
xxMike61
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnd View Post
I did not use a pick for the lines. They pulled off after a couple of knife slices. I'm pretty sure a pick would be dangerous if I used it for these vac lines haha, but that's me.

How about those DV hex bolts? The top bolt was a slow pain for me! I was sure the bolt would be stripped.
I bought a long 3/8 ball tipped hex bit set that helped so much. Im glad my car isnt xdrive though