E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Leather cleaning HELP!!

10-11-2022, 03:35 AM   #23
Bouncer
Carpe Cookius!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 335IC Atl Bl. Wtr Metallic

Garage List
First, I could be wrong but I swear from one of your pictures it looks like you used a "magic eraser" type pad on your seat. If not, I apologize, but if you did, then DON'T EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Your seats are fairly worn, and will likely need to be repainted/dyed. There are a couple different products available, but most are a sort of spray on application and it's recommended you do light coatings, let it dry, then do another light coating until you reach the desired color. The concern with a liquid application is it can be more difficult to do a "layered" approach to changing the color and it's harder to blend.

As for leather cleaning, I use colourlock products and they work near miracles. Keep in mind that it applies as a light/thin foam, and you use a horsehair (or detailer) brush to apply/work the cleaner in, and then wipe off fairly quickly with a microfiber towel. It's very gentle and may take repeated applications in one area to break up determined dirt and dye transfer (from jeans or other clothes). In addition you have to work a smaller area at a time but the end result is returning your seats to near factory appearance.

This is my Dakota Cream Beige seat under rejuvenation (yes, I left it too long before doing the work). It took a good 4 hours to do all the seats, side panels and other interior trim, going slow, being methodical, is the only good way to do this.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2023, 05:02 AM   #24
Madison_S
Registered
Rep
Drives: Kia Carnival

I wouldn't clean it again. You can see in the close-up photos that the seat is worn. The leather has a damaged texture. Maybe I'd look for products that care for the leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:25 PM   #25
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I wouldn't use magic eraser again, a two step product like Leathernique would be better with Chemical Guys one step leather cleaner as a basic step. I have a Luxury Leather Repair kit that I plan on using on my beige drivers seat and door armrest and will post the results when I get to it.