E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Home Weather Stations

06-25-2022, 09:42 PM   #23
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
But the rest of the data is surprisingly accurate when compared to the local NWS stations. I haven't seen any rain yet, but I'm waiting for that to see how good the haptic rain gauge is.
The haptic sensor has really evolved in 2 years. Originally I had a big issue with false rain detection, which was common at the time and generally blamed on vibrations getting to the sensor, and the recommended fix was to ensure that the mounting situation was properly rigid. But that wasn't my problem as I'm on steel pipe on a block fence and that puppy doesn't move, vibrate, nada. This went on for a few months and was generally only a problem in severe winds, which are super common here in the spring.

Eventually they got it sorted out and were able to tune out whatever was causing it from their end (Weatherflow peeps), and I haven't had a false rain detection since. They also adjust your measured rainfall data based on a number of data points, which turns off some people but the end result is what appears to be quite accurate data for what is essentially a hobby device. And I love the lack of ANY moving parts on the entire thing, which are all failure points.
      06-25-2022, 10:25 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The haptic sensor has really evolved in 2 years. Originally I had a big issue with false rain detection, which was common at the time and generally blamed on vibrations getting to the sensor, and the recommended fix was to ensure that the mounting situation was properly rigid. But that wasn't my problem as I'm on steel pipe on a block fence and that puppy doesn't move, vibrate, nada. This went on for a few months and was generally only a problem in severe winds, which are super common here in the spring.

Eventually they got it sorted out and were able to tune out whatever was causing it from their end (Weatherflow peeps), and I haven't had a false rain detection since. They also adjust your measured rainfall data based on a number of data points, which turns off some people but the end result is what appears to be quite accurate data for what is essentially a hobby device. And I love the lack of ANY moving parts on the entire thing, which are all failure points.
Even though the wind data I get is not representative of the true wind speeds in the area, they are accurate for the wind in my yard, which is surrounded by tall trees. And as you say, all that with no moving parts. Pretty impressive indeed.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 02:58 PM   #25
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Thunderstorms last night left us with 1.05" of rain according to NWS. My Tempest recorded 1.06". I'll take that level of accuracy.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:25 AM   #26
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
It's a hobby. A very popular one.

Take a look at my current data...

https://tempestwx.com/station/18897/grid

Then, click on some of the individual readings, like wind speed. You get a chart showing speeds and peak gusts, going back hourly. All the data since the station was put up over 2 years ago is there. Same for temperature, rainfall, lightning strikes, etc. And I never have to lift a finger, ever - other than 2 reboots in 2 years.

Weatherflow also collects data from these stations and other NWS sources to create a micro-forecast for my specific location. It's consistently 2-3 degrees below the NWS forecast for my (tiny but spread out) home town, and is consistently more accurate. 2 weeks ago it predicted rain 2 days in advance on a day that NWS had the chance of rain at zero at that point. Rain it did.

At the bottom of the screen is a map. Click on it and you'll see all the other Weatherflow stations in my area. You can click on any of those and see their data (unless someone has chosen not to display it publicly, which is an option but everyone seems to share). Cool stuff.
I've got one ordered; always been a weather buff, I like how this one operates without moving parts. As posted earlier, might be coming back to the thread to ask questions. Thanks for sharing your experience!
      10-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #27
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

Thinking about buying one of the tempest. Any advice on what to purchase, accessories, subscriptions, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #28
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
Thinking about buying one of the tempest. Any advice on what to purchase, accessories, subscriptions, etc.?
I *think* you catch a deal on shipping if you buy the mounting arm for the Tempest when you buy the weather station. I tried a DIY mount and didn't like the way it looked, so I bought the Tempest mounting arm after and paid a bit for shipping.
Attached Images

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0