E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Battery Change Code & Registration

02-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Battery Change Code & Registration

09 E90 335i. All I want to do is change the battery in the car from a leaded to AGM, 80 to 90 ah, and register it. I've been trying for 3 weeks!

Bought Carly Bluetooth + App for Android and works perfect on F25. Connects to adapter on E90 but never able to read anything. Gave up after changing settings 1000 times.

Bougth Carly WiFi II + App for IOS and works perfect on F25. Got slightly farther only on slow setting, just reads battery ah and then fails to read anything else. Frustrated after 3 nights of playing with that and useless support I returned it along with getting a refund from the App store since it never worked for me.

So I have a K+Can USB adapter that I got from BPM sport a few years ago so I go down that road...

Get a copy of ISTA/D and reads car fine. Everything seems perfect with it. I stop as I read that only ISTA/P can help me? Can't find a good link to download that successfully anywhere.

Install a couple of different BMW tools, configure EDI successfully for COM9. Watch a few videos. Get INPA up, sees ignition on, off, but all in german, so is NCS expert. Look at a few videos again, looks intimidating.

I think my best shot for ease of use is ISTA/P correct? I watched a video on setting up an F30 battery change and registration and seemed straightforward.

I own my own IT company and have been servicing PC's/software for over 25 years. Windows Servers(Microsoft Partner), VMware(Partner Reseller), etc. I would appreciate any advise on how best to do this myself.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
09 E90 335i. All I want to do is change the battery in the car from a leaded to AGM, 80 to 90 ah, and register it. I've been trying for 3 weeks!

Bought Carly Bluetooth + App for Android and works perfect on F25. Connects to adapter on E90 but never able to read anything. Gave up after changing settings 1000 times.

Bougth Carly WiFi II + App for IOS and works perfect on F25. Got slightly farther only on slow setting, just reads battery ah and then fails to read anything else. Frustrated after 3 nights of playing with that and useless support I returned it along with getting a refund from the App store since it never worked for me.

So I have a K+Can USB adapter that I got from BPM sport a few years ago so I go down that road...

Get a copy of ISTA/D and reads car fine. Everything seems perfect with it. I stop as I read that only ISTA/P can help me? Can't find a good link to download that successfully anywhere.

Install a couple of different BMW tools, configure EDI successfully for COM9. Watch a few videos. Get INPA up, sees ignition on, off, but all in german, so is NCS expert. Look at a few videos again, looks intimidating.

I think my best shot for ease of use is ISTA/P correct? I watched a video on setting up an F30 battery change and registration and seemed straightforward.

I own my own IT company and have been servicing PC's/software for over 25 years. Windows Servers(Microsoft Partner), VMware(Partner Reseller), etc. I would appreciate any advise on how best to do this myself.

Thanks!
I'd use this, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...61&postcount=1 or this, https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads.

Both are easy to set up BMW Standard Tools 2.12 with the latest version of version of programs and daten. I don't have a link to ISTA/P but I've seen the setup procedure and this is far easier. If you have a IT background and follow the included directions it will take longer to download the files than install it and will work on Win XP-10. And most of it is in English.

Coding and registering a battery literally takes two minutes with this software.
      02-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
I'd use this, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...61&postcount=1 or this, https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads.

Both are easy to set up BMW Standard Tools 2.12 with the latest version of version of programs and daten. I don't have a link to ISTA/P but I've seen the setup procedure and this is far easier. If you have a IT background and follow the included directions it will take longer to download the files than install it and will work on Win XP-10. And most of it is in English.

Coding and registering a battery literally takes two minutes with this software.
Wait are you saying ista/p is easier or all those other tools? Is there a straightforward guide to using those tools to do what I need? I have not found one thus far. Also do you use just ONE tool like inpa to do what I need?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Wait are you saying ista/p is easier or all those other tools? Is there a straightforward guide to using those tools to do what I need? I have not found one thus far. Also do you use just ONE tool like inpa to do what I need?
Standard Tools is easier. Sorry for the confusion. Takes 10, maybe 15 minutes to have it up and running. INPA will register if the car is older, Tool32 will register the battery, bimmer_software.com has a free download that will register a battery(minus the underscore), and if you have MHD you can register the battery. Google is your friend with any of those.

You can code it using a combination of NCS Expert and the BMW Coding tool, both of which are found in the software pkgs. The process would follow this video I made expect the module would be your CAS instead of KOMBI and of course the parameter. You would look for 90ah_agm under KLASSE_BATTERIE and check that.

02-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
Kaz26
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Alpinweiß Sedan

I used NCS Expert. Once you get it working it's pretty simple. There's a video on youtube that makes it easy. ISTA-D is fine for diagnosing, but ISTA-P requires updating all the modules to get it working properly from what I understand and it's not necessary for a simple battery coding/registration.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ok everyone I uninstalled what I had and followed those instructions and links on http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...61&postcount=1. I would like to add that one thing I figured out not shown was that the NCS Expert link created on the desktop points to NCS Exper which is all in german. I changed the shortcut to point to NCSExpert_64 and now it looks like the video above, in english.

I downloaded BMWLogger from bimmer_software.com...pretty cool if it works! Thanks especially for that LMB335IS! Going to buy the battery tomorrow morning and give it a shot! I will report back. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Ok everyone I uninstalled what I had and followed those instructions and links on http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...61&postcount=1. I would like to add that one thing I figured out not shown was that the NCS Expert link created on the desktop points to NCS Exper which is all in german. I changed the shortcut to point to NCSExpert_64 and now it looks like the video above, in english.

I downloaded BMWLogger from bimmer_software.com...pretty cool if it works! Thanks especially for that LMB335IS! Going to buy the battery tomorrow morning and give it a shot! I will report back. Thanks again.
Glad to hear. Shoot me a PM if you have a issue or question.
      02-03-2018, 09:13 PM   #8
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I don't know guys. Things didn't go as planned tonight. Swapped battery. It was bigger so the back hold bracket was to large to fit but I was able to flip it around and install a fender washer on it and get it tied down tight.

Jumped in and fired up BMWLogger just to see if it could 'read' things. Got a green connection and it saw the KCAN fine. Tried to read and got DME read error. Tried several times, ignition off/on/off/on pull cable reinsert. Nothing.

Then I noticed the new INPA I installed didn't always show ignition on when it was. Sometimes if I went into after a while it would but the last time I tried ignition on/off/on/off etc and plugging in cable back and forth I got nothing.

Opened BMW Coding, then NCS Expert. Expert profile, F1, F3, Chassis E89, CAS and then I get a 'VIN is invalid'...tried it several times and no difference. Also unlike the video above I only have the Expert Profile and one other in NCS?

I'm worried as my wife needs the car for work Monday and without registering, wrong AH and battery type it would be dangerous to drive now.

Last edited by ThomasR; 02-04-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ok so I moved on and downloaded the V3 Lite VMware workstation image here: 'http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220039'

INPA is responding correctly. But got the VIN is invalid in NCS Expert again. Found a thread about and am trying the things right now in that thread. Also the car has been coded before, just features no tunes and it does not have a JB4.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #10
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
In INPA when I go to Info I get 'ERROR #100 SYS-0010 INITIALIZATION ERROR API job error or no such result! Continue Script Processing? Yes? No?'

I give up.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #11
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Quote:
In INPA when I go to Info I get 'ERROR #100 SYS-0010 INITIALIZATION ERROR API job error or no such result! Continue Script Processing? Yes? No?'

I give up.
This usually means whatever module you're trying to code is not responding or there's something wrong with your DCAN cable/connection.

Also make sure you're not running INPA and ncs expert at the same time...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 07:40 PM   #12
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post
This usually means whatever module you're trying to code is not responding or there's something wrong with your DCAN cable/connection.

Also make sure you're not running INPA and ncs expert at the same time...
Yes I read that people got this if they were in both at the same time. I made sure I was not. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Ok so I have return to close out this thread with a resolution. After having Joe@topgearsolutions.com, my dealer (who spent 2 full days trying to program it and could not either), and Mike@BPMSport all connect to it and look at it, the consensus from everyone was that either a module on the bus was 'pissed off' and causing havoc or the JBE Junction Box was bad. Everyone who looked at said JBE's do go bad from time to time (kind of rare) but in my case it was unheard of because the car had no faults and otherwise ran perfect. Usually when a JBE is defective other things don't work like window switches, power switches, etc.

So that left me with three options to gamble on:
1. Buy a new JBE from the dealer/bpm at $300-360 which is heavily discounted from normal price of over $400. The dealer can only program NEW ones that have no VIN from the factory. They can't help me with a used one.

2. Of the 21 modules on the car (besides the JBE which is the 22nd, and the gateway to the other modules)...pull one at a time and run INPA to see if the BUS clears up...which would mean a fault code on most which I would not be able to clear until I found the bad one!

3. Buy a used JBE from Ebay. $35-100 + programming for my VIN, $ varies

So I chose used JBE from Ebay with a seller who preprogrammed it for my VIN so it would be plug and play. The JBE was $50 plus $75 for programming.

I got it in Saturday and swapped it out. It FIXED it! INPA worked perfectly. My dealer offered up a nominal fee to register/code for the new battery along with a complete all modules update as it had the original factory versions of all module software. I drove it up to them this morning (1.5 hours one way for me) and they hooked up a charger and it took 6 hours to upgrade and program!

Car was perfect. Issues all resolved.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Ok so I have return to close out this thread with a resolution. After having Joe@topgearsolutions.com, my dealer (who spent 2 full days trying to program it and could not either), and Mike@BPMSport all connect to it and look at it, the consensus from everyone was that either a module on the bus was 'pissed off' and causing havoc or the JBE Junction Box was bad. Everyone who looked at said JBE's do go bad from time to time (kind of rare) but in my case it was unheard of because the car had no faults and otherwise ran perfect. Usually when a JBE is defective other things don't work like window switches, power switches, etc.

So that left me with three options to gamble on:
1. Buy a new JBE from the dealer/bpm at $300-360 which is heavily discounted from normal price of over $400. The dealer can only program NEW ones that have no VIN from the factory. They can't help me with a used one.

2. Of the 21 modules on the car (besides the JBE which is the 22nd, and the gateway to the other modules)...pull one at a time and run INPA to see if the BUS clears up...which would mean a fault code on most which I would not be able to clear until I found the bad one!

3. Buy a used JBE from Ebay. $35-100 + programming for my VIN, $ varies

So I chose used JBE from Ebay with a seller who preprogrammed it for my VIN so it would be plug and play. The JBE was $50 plus $75 for programming.

I got it in Saturday and swapped it out. It FIXED it! INPA worked perfectly. My dealer offered up a nominal fee to register/code for the new battery along with a complete all modules update as it had the original factory versions of all module software. I drove it up to them this morning (1.5 hours one way for me) and they hooked up a charger and it took 6 hours to upgrade and program!

Car was perfect. Issues all resolved.
Glad it's finally sorted out for you. The mystery was solved, and you will no longer lose sleep at night due to this, lol.
Appreciate 0