E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

10-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #1695
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Polestar

Thats a fairly new unit and not one that is included with my comments early about a bad batch, those were 3 years ago....

There are no "known issues" related to the problem you had, if it were common it obviously would have come up in this thread at some point in the last 3 years. I think its just a defective unit and your dealer did the correct repair to address it. Im guessing that perhaps they did not repair those items the first time? By replacing the mainboard and the canbus box they essentially gave you a new unit from an electronics perspective. If the same issue happens to pop up again there is possibly something wrong with the car like a low battery or intermittent connection in the Canbus.

Gavla984

On the info screen, what firmware version does it show and what car does it show to the right of that? Wondering if the software is set to a different car type, it should say BMW 2. The fault you are describing sounds like hardware but your dealer replaced your hardware so we have to look for something else going on....unless the cause is something like a broken ribbon cable and they used the same ribbons when they replaced the circuit boards on your unit.

Last edited by jeffb335; 10-16-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #1696
gavla984
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post

Gavla984

On the info screen, what firmware version does it show and what car does it show to the right of that? Wondering if the software is set to a different car type, it should say BMW 2. The fault you are describing sounds like hardware but your dealer replaced your hardware so we have to look for something else going on....unless the cause is something like a broken ribbon cable and they used the same ribbons when they replaced the circuit boards on your unit.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.
I currently away with work but I'm sure I added the updated firmware after reading this thread.
Good shout with the ribbon as they only mentioned changing some hardware.
Off the top of my head I think the picture shows a bmw...e90 but that is more of a guess at the moment to be honest.
I can not remember seeing bmw 2 anyway though now you mention it.
The unit should be back with the reseller today so I'm hoping for a call from them.
Last time they said changing the circuit board cured the fault.

The issue with the controls all saying LHD in the settings section I have assumed is a issue with software but doesn't seem to be a problem at all other than annoying.

I will update once I've spoken to the guys I bought the unit from and hopefully it can be cured this time found.

I have never read of the problem anywhere before so seems to be a one off with my unit

Thanks
Gav.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #1697
kayfaz
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
There is always going to be a "latest greatest." The N7 is an evolution of the N6, its not radically different. So if you already have a N6, just enjoy what you have.

The latest version of the N6 firmware was pretty mature....I doubt they would add anything at this point anyway.
I can't find the latest firmware update file on Dynavin site for N6-E9X. Do you know where I can download this from?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #1698
gavla984
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavla984 View Post
Thanks for the reply Jeff.
I currently away with work but I'm sure I added the updated firmware after reading this thread.
Good shout with the ribbon as they only mentioned changing some hardware.
Off the top of my head I think the picture shows a bmw...e90 but that is more of a guess at the moment to be honest.
I can not remember seeing bmw 2 anyway though now you mention it.
The unit should be back with the reseller today so I'm hoping for a call from them.
Last time they said changing the circuit board cured the fault.

The issue with the controls all saying LHD in the settings section I have assumed is a issue with software but doesn't seem to be a problem at all other than annoying.

I will update once I've spoken to the guys I bought the unit from and hopefully it can be cured this time found.

I have never read of the problem anywhere before so seems to be a one off with my unit

Thanks
Gav.

Just a update. I have the unit back.
It's version 1.3.0 I think and defo says Euro bmw.
The hard button fault seems to have gone. They have sent me the old tft boards and ribbons....no idea why but fingers crossed it works this time round.

Thankyou everyone for the help. This has been really frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #1699
DryFly
Rep
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red e91 N54/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfaz View Post
I can't find the latest firmware update file on Dynavin site for N6-E9X. Do you know where I can download this from?
I need this too. I never got around to updating my N6. I bought it just two months ago (wish I had known the N7 was coming soon as I would have waited). Then I saw the N7 was coming out and thought I'd better get my N6 updated...and now there isn't a link to the N6 update on the Dynavin site.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #1700
jeffb335
Rep

Just contact your dealer, they should have it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #1701
jeffb335
Rep

FYI guys.....we are going to be down in Las Vegas at the SEMA show with Dynavin showing off the new N7 units among other things.....if you are there come by and see us at booth 50814 in the Performance Pavilion.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 03:13 AM   #1702
whitep
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 220d Tourer

Quote:
There is always going to be a "latest greatest." The N7 is an evolution of the N6, its not radically different. So if you already have a N6, just enjoy what you have.

The latest version of the N6 firmware was pretty mature....I doubt they would add anything at this point anyway.
But there are still lots of glitches in the N6. Such as the audio playing when going into reverse and the stereo is off and the car information being all wrong!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #1703
GizmoPower
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 2006 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitep View Post
But there are still lots of glitches in the N6. Such as the audio playing when going into reverse and the stereo is off and the car information being all wrong!
The latest is listed as beta.

I alsol have bugs.

1. No fix for the Battery and oil temp.
2. Dimmed display in dab screen after reverse
3. All bass disapears after phonecall
3. Sometimes it dosent turn off when ignition is off...
4. Dosent keep on the 20 min it is supposed to.
5. DAB sometimes go silent, and I have to scan for channels again.

I have owned this for over 3 years and they never fixed the bugs.
If they dont keep on development on software I will be very disapointed.
They cant just move to N7 without at least fixing the bugs.
And what happened to apps?

No offense to Jeff. He has given me exellent service!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #1704
jeffb335
Rep

I will have to talk to them about another N6 firmware version once they are past the initial N7 release. GizmoPower, some of those are pretty odd...and depend on multiple factors, not just the N6 firmware.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #1705
JuanSeries
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 320i

Got the N7 Jeff! Sister’s gonna bring it here by december. Will post feedback once installed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #1706
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanSeries View Post
Got the N7 Jeff! Sister’s gonna bring it here by december. Will post feedback once installed. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #1707
Bmwner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i

Can anyone share the latest firmware?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #1708
KishMish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Is the N7 install the same? Do you still cut that small portion behind dash to mount lower part flush
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #1709
jeffb335
Rep

Yes, the install is exactly the same except for slightly simplified wiring.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #1710
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwner View Post
Can anyone share the latest firmware?
Its on our website on the FAQ page.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #1711
jeffb335
Rep

Black Friday is over....thanks for the support guys.

Last edited by jeffb335; 11-29-2017 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #1712
maxoutput
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoPower View Post
The latest is listed as beta.

I alsol have bugs.

1. No fix for the Battery and oil temp.
2. Dimmed display in dab screen after reverse
3. All bass disapears after phonecall
3. Sometimes it dosent turn off when ignition is off...
4. Dosent keep on the 20 min it is supposed to.
5. DAB sometimes go silent, and I have to scan for channels again.

I have owned this for over 3 years and they never fixed the bugs.
If they dont keep on development on software I will be very disapointed.
They cant just move to N7 without at least fixing the bugs.
And what happened to apps?

No offense to Jeff. He has given me exellent service!!
I tend to agree with this, the N6 was never quite ironed out. I have most of the bugs present above too apart from DAB as I haven’t got the DAB option.

Jeff’s Support is Stella and one can’t fault it but Dynavin need to fully develop existing product before jumping onto the next one.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #1713
cochran
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i (E90)

How do i update my firmware?
      11-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #1714
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochran View Post
How do i update my firmware?
Its on our website, in the FAQ under the "help" tab.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #1715
polestar
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E91 316i LCI 2008

Hi everyone,

I own a Dynavin N6 E9x unit which reboots/turns off at random. After the Dynavin CAN interface unit (black box) is disconnected and connected again the problem is solved; only to come back after a few days. Another user has the same problem (posts #1375 and #1617 and my post #1685). Even after a reboot, the unit is behaving strange. Sometimes, everything works except the steering wheel control inputs, PDC/reverse camera and OBC shows wrong/no values. Sometimes, the screen is blank but I can still hear the radio. Latest, the unit is just blank with no 'orange' light that usually glows the buttons. The seller, Auto electronics UK replaced the motherboard and the CAN interface box and I feel they are doing all they can. It was fine for a month but then the problem came back. Since resetting the CAN interface is not a sustainable solution, I have decided to dig deeper in to the problem before contacting the seller/Dynavin directly.

I ran diagnostics using ISTA-D as a first step. This is the same software used by BMW dealers [ PDF's attached: 1) Vehicle details and options list 2) diagnostics summary 3) ECU network tree].

Here are the things that I have noted:

In my vehicle options list, I see 'EMOA - Deletion of MOST adapter'. However I'm a bit confused as to why there is a MOST gateway then, as can be seen from the fault codes below:

S 0376 No communication possible with: MOST Gateway at 123832 kms
S 0375 No communication possible with: Headunit at 123832 kms
00FFF1 MOSTSYS: No communication with headunit at -1 kms

Before installing Dynavin, I had 'BMW Professional' head unit, without Logic 7 (I believe).

Looking at the ECU tree PDF file, one can see two red boxes, which basically means the diagnostic tool is not able to communicate with CCC/MOST mask and MOST gateway. All other ECU's work fine and the car doesn't have any other problems.

I suspect something is going wrong around the CAN interface box or the CAN bus and the unit is shutting down. I read that CAN bus can go down if there is a loose connection or short; like a pinched wire or cable somewhere. First thing to check it tomorrow :=)

Should I be doing any coding? Is there a need for closing any 'MOST loop' as some online posts suggest?

My logic says this can also happen with other aftermarket headunits or even the original CCC unit. I thought of posting it here, before moving to a more generic forum.

In the meanwhile I'd really appreciate any tips/advices/comments. Many thanks to Jeff and Dave for previous replies.

Thank you very much for your time reading this post.

Tenil.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Vehicle_and_options_list.pdf (92.8 KB, 154 views)
File Type: pdf Fault_codes.pdf (85.9 KB, 157 views)
File Type: pdf ECU_tree.pdf (87.4 KB, 150 views)
      12-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #1716
jeffb335
Rep

To clarify how the dynavin works so your troubleshooting goes the right direction.....

There is no ignition turn on wire in the E90 radio plug....on/off functions, button lighting, and steering wheel controls are all controlled via canbus in these cars....so the dynavin canbus interface box generates a switched ignition wire, a illumination wire, and steering wheel control commands for the head unit to use. If you look at the wire harness you can see all of this....red ignition wire, orange illumination wire, etc... between the canbus box and the head unit. You can test these wires with a multimeter to confirm if they are working or not, whether the head unit is present or not.

So if your unit is randomly shutting off, no lighting, no steering wheel controls, then yes its a canbus related issue. The fact that your dealer has replaced both the canbus interface box and the mainboard on your unit and the problems are still present means that the issue is likely on the car side of the canbus, could be as simple as a bad connection. I do think you are going the right direction looking for something going on CAN related.

Another thing to keep in mind. The E9X ALSO does not have a constant power wire in the plug....which as you know is why there is the long yellow battery wire supplied. This power wire not only powers the head unit but the canbus interface box as well. A bad connection OR low voltage on this wire is going to cause you issues as well.

I do not think its a coding thing, Dynavin has had an E9X model since 2011. If there were any common known issues there it would have been known a long time ago.
Appreciate 0