E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M3 Steering Rack into the d?

05-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
M3 Steering Rack into the d?

Well my rack experienced a failure so im in the market for a new one/re-manufactured. Seeing as how the m3 is in the same range would it fit? I know some have done it for the gassers. The only difference is the fluid bolt placement. Normal e90s and M3s have 21mm on top i and 19mm on the bottom. The d has 21mm on bottom and 19mm on top. Im curious since well I gotta replace it anyways lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

might be careful there. I thought the M3 track width was a little higher. This might possibly cause the rack to be wider too if rest of suspension parts match in length( 3 vs M3)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
might be careful there. I thought the M3 track width was a little higher. This might possibly cause the rack to be wider too if rest of suspension parts match in length( 3 vs M3)
Thats a good point. I might be a guinea pig for this. You would think it should fit but only barely because M3 suspension bits fit with out a problem. I recall someone doing this.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20517

It was done for an 2007-2008 I dont think much has changed since then in the steering department.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

I dont think there is any track width difference between 335i and 335d, so you might be ok in that departments since its been done on a 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
I dont think there is any track width difference between 335i and 335d, so you might be ok in that departments since its been done on a 335i
Good to hear im still debating. Sourcing a 335d rack is about the same as an m3. Dealership wants 2900$ and I said nope. Sad fact is i have warranty and they wont cover it. They claim "aftermarket/third-party" Therefore if I cant get it settled. I will refund my warranty and never return there. I understand BMWs are wonderful cars and they aint cheap. But what they charged me is outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Good to hear im still debating. Sourcing a 335d rack is about the same as an m3. Dealership wants 2900$ and I said nope. Sad fact is i have warranty and they wont cover it. They claim "aftermarket/third-party" Therefore if I cant get it settled. I will refund my warranty and never return there. I understand BMWs are wonderful cars and they aint cheap. But what they charged me is outrageous.
They cannot do that!
Get a lawyer!
It's complete bullshit!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

I read the N54 link all the way to end. The rack physically fits but the guy hasn't figured out the servitronic what ever that is. It sounds like power assist. The steering ratio is more direct (lower ratio) so it is more of a firm feel. There is a company that is actually called firmfeel that does aftermarket ratio changes for muscle cars (mopars specifically). My 'cuda has a very high ratio (25:1) as it is manual. The M3 rack is 12.5:1. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM View Post
They cannot do that!
Get a lawyer!
It's complete bullshit!
Unfortunately it was probably my fault. I damaged the banjo bolt while doing fluid flush(stripped housing). Hence "third party" I didn't mention anything about it. But they got me so therefore I will save my energy and expense for a more serious problem such as transmission, engine and diff. The rack is well since they wont cover it then ill find other means.

Unless someone has other suggestions. I'm locked into one dealership brand here in my city so I don't know if going to the sister dealer would help. I'm in the system so I doubt I could try again.

I'm going to retrieve the car tomorrow.

As for the M3 rack servo is steering assist but since our cars dont have it I don't think I'm too bothered with the swap. If they wont cover it now then I might as well have some fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Damn NUSHIBO sorry to hear your plight. It happens sometimes we want our cars to perform better and we go try stuff on our own and unwillingly mess it up. Your a man of your word and did not try to stuff the dealer, kudos for you I would done the same problem here is you got caught thats all. Hope you can find something thru ebay or google it and look up slavage yards there is one from Sweden that is pretty good cant remember their name let me see if i can find them for you ok
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Here they are email them:

'nordborg@schmiedmann.com'

'odense@schmiedmann.com'

here is their link:

http://www.schmiedmann.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nushibo View Post
Did you buy the ext warranty/vsc from the store that you bought thye car from? If so...

Call the GM of that store and explain the situation. If I was in his situation (I am a sales manager for a local dealership) I would call my warranty rep from the company that your policy is written with and tell them they need to cover the fix, or at least meet halfway. If they refused, I would cover the claim myself and bill it to internal policy and make sure that you wouldn't pay more than your deductible.

Unreal.
      05-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Did you buy the ext warranty/vsc from the store that you bought thye car from? If so...

Call the GM of that store and explain the situation. If I was in his situation (I am a sales manager for a local dealership) I would call my warranty rep from the company that your policy is written with and tell them they need to cover the fix, or at least meet halfway. If they refused, I would cover the claim myself and bill it to internal policy and make sure that you wouldn't pay more than your deductible.

Unreal.
Its from BMW NA so its the actual dealership/bmw extended. I was appalled that they didnt offer any exchanges or help. Just said "Sorry we cant do it, third party work was in your bay. Its going to be 2900 for everything, and we can maybe $500 off with a core exchange." I told them I dont have that kind of money to spare due to the fact that i just spend a large sum on the extended and im only 500 miles out of the original. Is there any way to good will and or at least cut me a deal? Still the answer was nope. I suspect this was a new SA because my old one moved to their sister dealership. He wasnt offering any help at all. I asked him how much was it to remove he said $169 for labor and diagnostic fees. I'm going today to dispute that and have statefarm tow me out for free to an inde. I respect BMW NA warranty hence im going to keep it for other things. But at this point I wont be returning to that particular sister dealership. Id rather drive an extra 10 miles where their sister took care of my car no questions asked. Since im in the system i doubt i can get the same repair done for the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Here they are email them:

'nordborg@schmiedmann.com'

'odense@schmiedmann.com'

here is their link:

http://www.schmiedmann.com/
Thanks amigo! Things happen I understand but the way i was treated at the dealership was absolutely terrible. I see what people mean by "stealership" especially out of original factory warranty. Now if I have to go back to them for engine related problems im going to suit up with a lawyer and take this to the next level. Also thanks for the links ill look into it. Theres a used one on ebay for around 400$ ish I might look into that or source a re manufactured "d" for the same price. Install it and have my original d one machined at a machine shop. That way I have two! I'm looking on the bright side of things. If im going with the long haul with this I might as well enjoy it.

Last edited by Nushibo; 05-22-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

thats true amigo look at it on the bright side you found one cheaper and you got info no one had specially from europe
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
thats true amigo look at it on the bright side you found one cheaper and you got info no one had specially from europe
True true, haha after this ordeal ill take a break and save up for renntech 0.0 pay them a visit haha
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

now now why RENNtech LOL cause I hv one or is it you dont trust the others out there?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #16
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

[QUOTE=Nushibo;16000493]Its from BMW NA so its the actual dealership/bmw extended. I was appalled that they didnt offer any exchanges or help. Just said "Sorry we cant do it, third party work was in your bay. Its going to be 2900 for everything, and we can maybe $500 off with a core exchange." I told them I dont have that kind of money to spare due to the fact that i just spend a large sum on the extended and im only 500 miles out of the original. Is there any way to good will and or at least cut me a deal? Still the answer was nope. I suspect this was a new SA because my old one moved to their sister dealership. He wasnt offering any help at all. I asked him how much was it to remove he said $169 for labor and diagnostic fees. I'm going today to dispute that and have statefarm tow me out for free to an inde. I respect BMW NA warranty hence im going to keep it for other things. But at this point I wont be returning to that particular sister dealership. Id rather drive an extra 10 miles where their sister took care of my car no questions asked. Since im in the system i doubt i can get the same repair done for the rack.

Trust me, take my advise from above. A service writer or service advisor as bmw stores call them, is a sales person, and has limited power in getting things done. Call the GM of the store, or at the very least, do their online survey and give them the lowest marks, which will tank their csi score. I had an issue where I took my car to the local bmw store to do a rear wheel bearing. Whne I got it back, my sunroof didn't work! I was told tough luck. I kept my cool, took their survey online, gave high marks to the SA, but low marks for total experience. The next day I received a call from the GM to bring the car in and fix the sunroof for free.

Take action, and don't take this. The GM will realize if you cancel your ext warranty, they will get a charge back for the remainder of what you have which will likely cost more than replacing the rack.

Incidentally, when my car was in for that sunroof repair that they did free of charge, they gave my car a complimentary check over, and told me that I needed a new steering rack and that it was causing noise in the front end. Bullshit. It had worn sway bar endlinks, I replaced those myself for 50 bucks and the clunk was gone.
      05-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

i did the same thing down here in Puerto Rico and boy o boy everyone called me, even from Corporate headquarters( I made sure they got a copy of the survey) but as our friend above BE PROFESSIONAL about it ok!! and it will get you far. Least to say i havent recieved anymore survey's Im PERSON NON GRATA in there jajajaja
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #18
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Very good salvage yard here in Houston called Lonestar. Here is their link.
http://www.lonestarautoparts.com/

I have been there twice. They are high in comparison to normal american car junk yards but they have "prime" stuff. I believe they ship nation wide. They have lots of BMW and MB.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #19
Nushibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Thanks for the help guys but I wont refund the warranty. I figured that id keep it plus I bought it from Jeff at passport whose proven to be more than beneficial and professional so they do exist. I paid the 200$ to release my car. I'll most definitely leave a bad CS score but in a professional manner. If they choose to make it right then so be it ill be happy. If they dont then well I won't be back for a while. Its just bad timing. My SA left and I got stuck with a grumpy old fella for a new SA. I paid my fee for being stupid, lets see where this goes. Either way ill get this fixed and ill enjoy it when its done. I'm sitting outside waiting for a tow truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Very good salvage yard here in Houston called Lonestar. Here is their link.
http://www.lonestarautoparts.com/

I have been there twice. They are high in comparison to normal american car junk yards but they have "prime" stuff. I believe they ship nation wide. They have lots of BMW and MB.
Thanks for the link. I have a few days to think of my options in that time ill let BMW run their hand. I fold for now waiting for a better one.

Indecently I can't take it here for repairs so I added it to the list of can't warranty because its in their system.

Last edited by Nushibo; 05-22-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #20
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Checked their site looking for M style airbag they wont describe much might as well call them though and good luck
Appreciate 0