E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Good Ideas for checking boost leaks

09-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
LoneWolfPistol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Decent

Good Ideas for checking boost leaks

Please share your exsperinces, I was told to do a " Smoke test ". Getting that done but still open to suggestions. SN: I checked all piping (i.e. Chargepipe, intercooler connections and found nothing.
      09-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplev33 View Post
Please share your exsperinces, I was told to do a " Smoke test ". Getting that done but still open to suggestions. SN: I checked all piping (i.e. Chargepipe, intercooler connections and found nothing.
With all of the boost leaks I have chased down and fixed, typically I go in this order to get to the bottom of them.

1. Can you hear a leak? I have had bad boost leaks that sound like a whoopie cushion and also ones that just sound like more turbo noise. If you can hear the leak, more than likely its a bigger one. Typically I try to track down its location by sound first.

2. Visual inspections. Throw some gloves on and dig around the engine bay. Pinch some of the couplers and make sure they haven't slid off from their original locations.

3. Smoke test. Sometimes its hard to find smaller leaks if they're hidden deep in the engine bay. Smoke testing will assist in finding cracks, loose connections, and other smaller leaks that are open. The down side of a smoke test is the turbo plumbing is not under pressure, so if a leak only occurs under boost it probably won't show it.

4. Running a "diag test" through ISTA. I know this isn't available to everyone, but it is really helpful for finding boost leaks that only occur under pressure. Unfortunately the car does not build boost if you just rev it in neutral. ISTA has a test that builds full turbo pressure in the system to help locate expanding turbo plumbing.

Hope this helps!
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
LoneWolfPistol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

still no luck, Smoke test next
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #4
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Smoke tests do work very well. I've owned other turbo cars in the past (Supra mostly) that had 2-3 boost leaks that I found using a smoke test.

Granted I did them myself so they were free, are you just doing this as preventative maintenance or chasing a problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
Smoke tests do work very well. I've owned other turbo cars in the past (Supra mostly) that had 2-3 boost leaks that I found using a smoke test.

Granted I did them myself so they were free, are you just doing this as preventative maintenance or chasing a problem?
Where did you attach the smoke machine?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
Kev0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW E92

I've seen people attach them on the intake side by removing the filter. That's how my local mechanic found 2 leaks on the intake side up to the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
LoneWolfPistol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post

Chasing a problem, I already found one major. but theres a second I haven't found as of yet
      09-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
LoneWolfPistol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0 View Post
I've seen people attach them on the intake side by removing the filter. That's how my local mechanic found 2 leaks on the intake side up to the turbo.
Hmm. Seems like I would have to cap off a lot to keep the pressure. I honestly never done this before so pics diagram help a bro out lol
      09-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
lwgrenier
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i XDrive

Boost leak test worked for me. I followed this DIY:

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1143853
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2018, 05:45 AM   #10
LoneWolfPistol
Private First Class