E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New to BMW first time DIY

09-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #1
stockegsix
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

New to BMW first time DIY

Newbie here saying wassup to the forum. It'll be exactly one year next month since I've jumped ship from another car brand(long time enthusiast) to BMW. I'm a DIY person and so far working on my 335D has been very challenging compared to my old 4-banger. I've been having to remove panels to get to more panels to get to the bolt that's holding some sort of a "V" bar that's blocking a torx screw cover that is covering the motor mount bolt... you know what I mean. LOL. Oh, and removing those sensor clips is like trying to solve a puzzle. Over-engineering is an understatement clearly. But overall it's still pretty fun and I really did miss tinkering on cars. BMW is definitely a beast to work on.

Harmonic Balancer took me about 6 hours to remove and install a new one. I'm in the process of an ABC delete and so far the most difficult thing was removing the motor mount from the engine block(had to fish those pesky bolts using a long extension from under the wheel well). This took a lot of time but I was able to get the DPF, SCR and exhaust out eventually. I already have the EGR delete kit and waiting on the rest of the parts to arrive so I can put this car back together. Youtube and this forum has really help me a lot or else I'd be lost.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

When you say enthusiast + 4 banger, I automatically think of fart can civics. Was your previous car a civic si?

If not a civic then a subbie?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #3
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

The electric clips are deceiving simple - you just squeeze them and they come right off.

I took apart the first one removed. Was a pain.

Takes 1 second tho...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockegsix View Post
I've been having to remove panels to get to more panels to get to the bolt that's holding some sort of a "V" bar that's blocking a torx screw cover that is covering the motor mount bolt... you know what I mean. LOL.
I actually did LOL because this is so true
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
stockegsix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
When you say enthusiast + 4 banger, I automatically think of fart can civics. Was your previous car a civic si?

If not a civic then a subbie?

Yeah man, was in the Honda scene for a very long time. So long ago that my first turbo set up fuel management was just an FMU and check valves. Stand alone ecu options didn't come out til years later. It was still fun and rewarding as well because we built our own cars. 12 second factory cars weren't sold at dealerships then. Unlike today where folks can just go to a car dealer and buy a fast vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah man, was in the Honda scene for a very long time. So long ago that my first turbo set up fuel management was just an FMU and check valves. Stand alone ecu options didn't come out til years later. It was still fun and rewarding as well because we built our own cars. 12 second factory cars weren't sold at dealerships then. Unlike today where folks can just go to a car dealer and buy a fast vehicle.
welcome to the club. nice job of your DIY. that takes alot of work. i also came from honda scene. im still in it. i just use my bimmer as my daily. my very well maintained "hooptie". lots of people hate on hondas. its because they got beat by us. so we are the bench mark to beat now.

Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      09-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

ITRs or their bizarros are very different than the base civic or corolla.

I'm an old Nissan guy who modded Sentra/Sunny's to everything with an SR20DE(+T) (or anything we could drop one in). For the record, Nissan's still make more sense

Anyway...enjoy...seems you're already busy
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      09-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #8
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Quote:
Newbie here saying wassup to the forum. It'll be exactly one year next month since I've jumped ship from another car brand(long time enthusiast) to BMW. I'm a DIY person and so far working on my 335D has been very challenging compared to my old 4-banger. I've been having to remove panels to get to more panels to get to the bolt that's holding some sort of a "V" bar that's blocking a torx screw cover that is covering the motor mount bolt... you know what I mean. LOL. Oh, and removing those sensor clips is like trying to solve a puzzle. Over-engineering is an understatement clearly. But overall it's still pretty fun and I really did miss tinkering on cars. BMW is definitely a beast to work on.

Harmonic Balancer took me about 6 hours to remove and install a new one. I'm in the process of an ABC delete and so far the most difficult thing was removing the motor mount from the engine block(had to fish those pesky bolts using a long extension from under the wheel well). This took a lot of time but I was able to get the DPF, SCR and exhaust out eventually. I already have the EGR delete kit and waiting on the rest of the parts to arrive so I can put this car back together. Youtube and this forum has really help me a lot or else I'd be lost.
Congrats on the diesel man! Its gonna be a totally different car after the deletes. You'll have the torque of 3 civics. The motor mount is forsure the biggest pain. Check for cbu as well. A pick tool works real well for the electrical connections.
      09-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
stockegsix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOG View Post
Congrats on the diesel man! Its gonna be a totally different car after the deletes. You'll have the torque of 3 civics. The motor mount is forsure the biggest pain. Check for cbu as well. A pick tool works real well for the electrical connections.

Thanks man, I was actually looking for a low mileage 335i originally but ended up with the 335D instead(i didn't even know the "D's" existed). Been running it with JBD until last week when I put it on jack stands and opted for the full deletes. I'm just waiting for my exhaust & DP to arrive to see what this JR stage 2.5 is all about.
Appreciate 0