E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Electronic system loosing power

09-25-2018, 06:44 AM   #1
stephen316
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Electronic system loosing power

Hi guys,
I'm having an issue with my 2005 320d. Erratically while driving I loose electronic power which effects my console (speedometer needle will drop to zero, will get the traction control alarm, sometimes flat tire, battery warning etc.) The vehicle will also give a slight jerk. This lasts for about a second and everything returns to normal. This issue seems to be happening more and more. I currently have 255000km on the clock with no real problems before except the usual wear and tare.
Does anyone perhaps have an idea what's causing this. An auto electrician suggested that it could be the bushes on the alternator as they have never been changed.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Stephen
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There was a recall on the power connection to the cabin fuse
box world wide. Did that apply to your car you might want to look
it up.

I realize yours is slightly outside of the date range but it
doesn't mean you shouldn't check it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
KCoble
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i e93 Cabrio

I do know actually because my 328I just did the same. Google was close as the same tracksion and brake notifications and codes along with DTC button activated seems to help not have it trigger the problem. All things Google and YouTube pointed to wheel sensor, but I took the car in 2 days ago and after diagnosis - it was the Walmart matched battery that I put in car myself 4 months ago. I had noticed a bit of a sluggish start after it would sit a week at airport.
Anyways - the shop said the battery needed mapped and registered. Never heard of it and seemed stupid, but in fact that was the case. The problem is solved. Said the battery is proper but not without the registration adjustment - it was slowly frying my electronics.
Symptoms: Dash navigation and radio would die and Speedo and tach drop for 1/2 second, no feel or sudden jerking, but all braking and traction light and dash notification comes on.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #4
stephen316
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely look into it.
Appreciate 0