E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Back pain in new car

09-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Unhappy Back pain in new car

I've had my car for just over 2 weeks and for the last week I've had pain in the lower back area. I've got it all the time night and day - not just driving the car . I ordered lumber support adjustment to try and prevent this - but hasnt worked for me. No matter how I adjust the seat it doesnt prevent the pain coming on. I have M Sport seats and although they have a large range of adjustment - I cant find the right position to avoid the lower back ache. Its when I get out the car and later on that it seems to be worse - not really driving the car. Theres nowt wrong with the seats as the wife has no problems

In my old pre-LCI with normal M Sport seats I found they didnt support the lumber region so a put a cushion behind my back and had no problems in over 2 years. I dont really want to do the same thing in the new one - thats was the whole point of ordering lumber adjustment. There just doesnt seem to be enough swab support in the seat in my opinion. The BMW is the best car I've ever driven - but the worse seats I've ever had in 20 years+ motoring!!!!

Any tips on seat adjustment?

Cheers.
Andy
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Personally I find the lumbar support a waste of money and pushes too much into your back. Take it right back and keep trying positions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Ive recently let my mates dad who has a brand new X5 borrow my CG Lock. I use this to keep me in place in my seat when im "making progress" it also helps to get rid of back pain.

He was adamant that he would have to sell his recently purchased new pride and joy, untill he borrowed it! Hes seen the light and now has one, and has helped get rid of his back pains whilst driving at least!

I really do recommened them!

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/

http://www.msar-safety.com/detail.asp?p=122
      09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks Danny, I'll check that out!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Personally I find the lumbar support a waste of money and pushes too much into your back. Take it right back and keep trying positions.
Yes I'd agree. When its forward it feels like something stuck in your back rather than a means of supporting your back.
Unfortunatley you dont find these things out until you've owned the car for a while and something that cant be picked up on a quick test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

A mate of mine bought a 5 series a couple of years ago and ordered it with "comfort seats". Said it cured his back problem (that he had with his old 5 series). I dont think you can get these comfort seats for the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Try working on the tilt of the seat too, get your knees a bit higher and this can relieve stress on the back too.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
flying_scotsman
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d Efficient Dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Try working on the tilt of the seat too, get your knees a bit higher and this can relieve stress on the back too.
The experts say you are meant to have your knees in line with your hips.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
mv57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

I've had lower back pain on a daily basis since I got the car but didn't put two and two together. I had problems before but once a month not more. Will also be looking into the seating position. Cheers for raising this.

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

When i first got mine i did also suffer with a bit of back ache and it was all down to the seating position as i have no problems now.

I basically set it up like this.

Height so my head was about 3/4 of the way up the windscreen, about 4 notches up from lowest point

Tilt was fairly flat (like an office chair) so it doesnt compress your hips if it's too tilted.

Backrest was upright so i could only fit my fist between my head and the headrest.

And i think most importantly the seat was a couple of notches closer to the wheel than i would normally put it. I think i was stretching to the wheel which caused the back ache and with the ride quality i wasn't getting enough support. So i put the seat further forward , roughly, stretch out your arms and the top of the steering wheel should line up with your wrists at a comfortable stretch.

Dont have the side bolsters too tight either.

Before i found this to work i tried every position for at least a week. Very low to the floor, tilted backwards, quite high up, backrest further back etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Thanks for that briers I'll try a few of those things. I do sit quite close to the seat usually - but its all the other adjustments to get right! Sometimes you can have too many adjustments.

I like the idea of the CG Lock that Danny B suggested so I ordered one.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
OMLGitzScott
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport Megane R26

I find that the back of the seat doesn't tilt forward enough. I like to be seated upright while driving, but feel more like i have my gangster drug dealer lean on while driving, even at its most upright. I can make it go further, but have to drop my knees down to sacrifice, which is worse. Worst seats I've ever owned, even though they are the "Sport seats"
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Most back pain is caused by poor abdominal condition.
I'm not saying you are flabby in the mid section cus I don't know you! But even seemingly fit people can have weaker abs. Try a few sit ups and leg raises before bed, even just tensioning your abs while you drive can stimulate them to work for you better.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

My previous motor was a 55 reg SE 320i with std seats and always driving with seat back upright, I had very bad lower back pain which caused referred pain to my legs.
I now have a 59 reg 320D M-Sport with sports seats, lumbar support and heated seats. The seat back, I tilt back at quite an angle to take some of the weight from my lower back. It has made quite a difference
My back pain has now vanished and I now have no problems. A tilted seat back plus the sports seats etc. certainly works for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Thanks for that briers I'll try a few of those things. I do sit quite close to the seat usually - but its all the other adjustments to get right! Sometimes you can have too many adjustments.

I like the idea of the CG Lock that Danny B suggested so I ordered one.
Nice one mate, let us know how you get on, could help alot of people out by the looks of it!
      09-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
http://drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk...re%20guide.pdf

Initial driving position and posture guide
Take the time to familiarise yourself with ALL the adjustments (e.g. seat, steering wheel, seat belt).
Start by getting the seat into the ‘initial set up position’, where adjustable:
 Steering wheel fully up and fully forward
 Seat height at its lowest
 Cushion tilted so that front edge in lowest position
 Back rest approximately 30 degrees reclined from vertical
 Lumbar support adjustment backed off
 Seat fully rearwards
Suggested sequence of adjustments for highly adjustable driving packages
1. Raise the seat as high as is comfortable to improve your vision of the road.
 Check you have adequate clearance from the roof.
 Ensure you have maximum vision of the road.
2. Move the seat forwards until you can easily fully depress the clutch pedal and accelerator pedal.
 Adjust seat height as necessary to give good pedal control.
3. Adjust cushion tilt angle so that the thighs are supported along the length of the cushion.
 Avoid pressure behind the knees.
4. Adjust back rest so it provides continuous support along the length of the back and is in contact up to shoulder height.
 Avoid reclining the seat too far as this can cause excessive forward bending of the head and neck and you may feel yourself sliding forwards on the cushion.
5. Adjust the lumbar support to give even pressure along the length of the back rest.
 Ensure lumbar support ‘fits’ your back, is comfortable with no pressure points or gaps.

6. Adjust steering wheel rearwards and downwards for each reach.
 Check for clearance for things / knees when using pedals.
 Ensure panel display is in full view and not obstructed.
7. Adjust the head restraint to ensure the risk of injury is reduced in the event of a car accident
Repeat stages 1-7 and fine tune as necessary
Be aware that many cars will not allow you as much flexibility of driving posture as you may like.
Particular cars may cause you to adopt a ‘coping’ posture. For example, limited headroom forces a reclined posture, making reach to the steering wheel a problem. This leads to excessive forward bending of the head and neck and a ‘slouched’ posture
      09-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #17
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_scotsman View Post
The experts say you are meant to have your knees in line with your hips.
I believe it's recommended that the knees should be slightly lower than the hips to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Most back pain is caused by poor abdominal condition.
I'm not saying you are flabby in the mid section cus I don't know you! But even seemingly fit people can have weaker abs. Try a few sit ups and leg raises before bed, even just tensioning your abs while you drive can stimulate them to work for you better.
Poor abdominal condition is one of many causes of low back pain, and also low back problems can cause weak lower abs/core muscles. It's possible the seat is causing the problem, but is always worth getting it looked at.

I've recently been treating a patient who was convinced his back pain was due to his new car and was ready to sell it again at a huge loss. However, I've sorted his back and he can now travel very long distance with no low back discomfort and he's happy with the car
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Poor abdominal condition is one of many causes of low back pain, and also low back problems can cause weak lower abs/core muscles. It's possible the seat is causing the problem, but is always worth getting it looked at.

I've recently been treating a patient who was convinced his back pain was due to his new car and was ready to sell it again at a huge loss. However, I've sorted his back and he can now travel very long distance with no low back discomfort and he's happy with the car
What was his course of treatment?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #20
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcampbell View Post
What was his course of treatment?
Mind control?

Relaxation techniques and an explanation of the placebo effect?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

I haven't driven my BMW for 3 weeks now - because of a current back problem. The car wasn't to blame for the original problem, but it was near impossible to drive it while I've had the problem. I'm currently cruising in a Merc E class or a Q7 and can't wait to get back to my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 01:56 AM   #22
seamaster
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 325d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post

I have had a similar experience, went to a chiropractor with a sprained knee, the chiropractor found all sorts of problems with my lower body alignment, and has realigned everything, its like having new legs and lower back, and I dont get sciatica in my legs when I drive my lovely car anymore.
Dare I say it has changed my life?
Appreciate 0