E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Did I Ruin my EBC Redstuff Pads

12-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Did I Ruin my EBC Redstuff Pads

This weekend I installed EBC redstuff pads on the front along with Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors. The first couple of miles were fine and then the front wheels started making a pulsing scraping sound. The left side was very loud, right side was not too bad. It sounded a lot like a bad wheel bearing but figured it was the pads since both sides were making sounds. Drove a couple more miles and the sound never improved. The sound also wouldn't change when applying the brakes.

I then went out and did a 60-30mph medium pressure braking maneuver. About halfway through the maneuver the pedal went soft and dropped about 1/2" then firmed up again. I stayed light on the pedal after that and went home.

Upon inspection, the pads have left dark metallic deposit streaks on the rotors. The slots and holes are also filled with pad material. I have to assume this material is the "brake-in" material that coats these pads from EBC. The braking maneuver must have annihilated the brake-in material. I can scrape the material off the rotors with my fingernail, so it's certainly not permanently embedded into the rotor.

I'm concerned that the pads won't break in properly now, or worse the deposits damage the rotors and cause uneven wear and vibration with time. I've put a few miles on the car with light braking but the deposited material doesn't appear to be going away. The brakes feel really good however. The pedal feel is a lot like stock without the initial bite.

I've reached out to EBC for help, but no response yet.

Anyone had this happen to them?
Attached Images

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Why do you need drilled and slotted rotors?
Keep bedding them in. Count on noise from slots and drills to last as long as you have those rotors.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      12-07-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

This is a blessing:

EBC pads are ruined the moment they emerge from the furnace. Or maybe when the fall out of the mold. Regardless they are crap well before they leave the factory. They only get worse when installed on a car
      12-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
This is a blessing:

EBC pads are ruined the moment they emerge from the furnace. Or maybe when the fall out of the mold. Regardless they are crap well before they leave the factory. They only get worse when installed on a car
Despite the photos, I have to disagree. These pads are far better than stock, at least for the street. Less harsh of an initial bite than stock, but a similar stopping power vs. pedal pressure feel. And no dust or noise, at least not yet. Assuming they don't get any worse, these are better than stock for street use, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #5
cruizinmax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 Civic, 09 335i

What you're seeing is totally normal as far as I can tell from your pictures.

Continue bedding as described here. https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/bedding-in/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #6
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
This is a blessing:

I am not sure what are you talking about. I have red stuff on my wife's VW Tiguan. Perform better than OE, dust bit more, but good.
In E90 there is not so much difference. I used their yellow stuff on track and they are good street/track pad.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

EBC confirmed what I feared. The harder than intended braking maneuver wiped out the "brake-in" material and smeared it all over the rotors. They said that I should go out and perform a normal bed-in procedure and it should eliminate the deposits on the rotors and bed-in the brakes as desired.

They indicated that its not uncommon for their customers to go out and bed in the brakes right away instead of doing the 200 mile gentle break in. The purpose of the brake-in material is to enable the customer to bed the brakes w/o having to do dangerous braking maneuvers on public roads.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:43 AM   #8
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
EBC confirmed what I feared. The harder than intended braking maneuver wiped out the "brake-in" material and smeared it all over the rotors. They said that I should go out and perform a normal bed-in procedure and it should eliminate the deposits on the rotors and bed-in the brakes as desired.

They indicated that its not uncommon for their customers to go out and bed in the brakes right away instead of doing the 200 mile gentle break in. The purpose of the brake-in material is to enable the customer to bed the brakes w/o having to do dangerous braking maneuvers on public roads.
First time I've ever seen a brake manufacturer recommend a 200 mile gentle break in. On all my race pads, basically you just give it hell from 60-0 for 6-7 times (st43). Some race pads are really hard to break in and require even more like G-Locs. Race pads require break-in or else they simply won't work. I doubt a street pad like the reds will have any adverse effect.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about those deposits, it'll come off eventually. You should be fine
      12-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #9
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I went out the bed in the brakes...

6 60-30 medium stops
4 60-20 hard stops
2 60-20 emergency stops (ABS activating)

Each stop was separated by about 30-60 seconds of driving to accelerate to the next braking maneuver.

The brakes got very stinky (think big rig braking down a steep grade smell). And indeed the deposits on the rotor surface disappeared. There are still deposits in the rotor holes and slots but I'm not too worried about that. I'll clean them out with the wire brush next time I take the wheels off.
Appreciate 0