E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > suspension creaking noise

10-20-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
bmwPIguy
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 330i

I recently purchased a 2006 330i 6MT RWD with a sport package. it has 75k miles on it. It has original sport suspension on it.

I am hearing a creaking noise coming from the rear drivers side corner after going over rough pavement or turning. The noise is somewhat intermittent. I am wondering what you guys recommend doing to remedy this issue.

I have seen the suspension refresh kits on ECS tuning which are reasonably priced for aftermarket parts (unless you guys think OEM is necessary).

Any advice on what I should replace first, how you would go about diagnosing or if I should just go ahead and purchases that refresh kit and put it on would be much appreciated. labor is a non issue as I have a friend who is a mechanic and will put on the parts once I purchase them.

pics for clicks.

thanks guys.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

See if you can reproduce the creak when pushing down on one corner, then maybe get it on a lift/jack and see if you can wiggle anything.
Had a creak from the front when hitting bumps and could hear it just from pushing down on the hood. Ended up just being a loose sway bar end link.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
bmwPIguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangorang
See if you can reproduce the creak when pushing down on one corner, then maybe get it on a lift/jack and see if you can wiggle anything.
Had a creak from the front when hitting bumps and could hear it just from pushing down on the hood. Ended up just being a loose sway bar end link.
Thanks I will try that.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwPIguy View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 330i 6MT RWD with a sport package. it has 75k miles on it. It has original sport suspension on it.

I am hearing a creaking noise coming from the rear drivers side corner after going over rough pavement or turning. The noise is somewhat intermittent. I am wondering what you guys recommend doing to remedy this issue.

I have seen the suspension refresh kits on ECS tuning which are reasonably priced for aftermarket parts (unless you guys think OEM is necessary).

Any advice on what I should replace first, how you would go about diagnosing or if I should just go ahead and purchases that refresh kit and put it on would be much appreciated. labor is a non issue as I have a friend who is a mechanic and will put on the parts once I purchase them.

pics for clicks.

thanks guys.

Congrats, Nice car. Check for your wheel bearings.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:41 PM   #5
bmwPIguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwPIguy View Post

pics for clicks.

thanks guys.

Congrats, Nice car. Check for your wheel bearings.
Thanks, appreciate it. I have been enjoying it. And I will check the wheel bearings
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
I had the same issue after installing M3 rear suspension bits. I took it back to the shop and they put it on a lift. One of the shop guys pulled down on the chassis and we discovered it was one of the braided stainless steel brake lines that rubbed against a rear suspension part on the passenger side wheel. They bent the connecting bracket to lift the brake line high enough to avoid grating against the suspension arm, which had a sharp edge that could possibly and eventually cut through the SS brake line. It helps to get it up on a lift to explore the underbelly.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0