E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Can you remove bushing by destroy them?

10-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #1
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Can you remove bushing by destroy them?

Hi all.

I just put the powerflex rear subframe inserts on my E92, and the M3 arms as well.

The car feels better but i feel its not stiff enough. The M3 front bushes give me the sensation that my car is now a rabbit with the rears legs on the front the rear dont follow it yet

So i checked whiteline products and i saw a kit of bushes that came cut in half each one, so they fit like the inserts way and then a metal part goes in the hole so at the end its like a solid bush, and i think more stiff than the inserts (by the way are the black series, the stronger ones)

Main problem will be taking out the rubber bushes without drop the entire subframe, my question is if can go the hard way and destroy them using a hole saw or something, from outside looks like the inner part is metal and the exterior rubber, but i dont have x ray vision ...

Regards
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep

Hello?
There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Yangorang
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Not sure exactly which bushing you're talking about, but here are some closeup images of a trailing arm bushing for example: https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-32..._3.0L/ES57658/

You can see there is an inner metal part, then rubber, then an outer metal rim as well. Typically when installing or removing bushings you want to push on that outer metal rim as I understand. I don't think sawing them out would be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

He's talking about the rear subframe bushings. Yes, I think you can remove them by destroying them with a hole saw and a sawzall probably but I've never tried. The stock ones are only metal on the inner part, so you should be able to cut out the metal core and then take a sawzall blade to the outer part until you can pry it out. Sounds like a frustrating job though, all you need to do is drop the subframe a corner at a time to install new bushings, no disconnecting of brake lines necessary.
      10-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmantwo View Post
all you need to do is drop the subframe a corner at a time to install new bushings, no disconnecting of brake lines necessary.
I lowered (in my outcast english drop is remove it enterely to the floor) at corner to do the inserts, but i dont thing is gape enough to remove the bushings with a not custom made tools that i see in many DYG ... i think is gonna be more simple by the barbarian way

Many thanks for the answers by now guys

Last edited by Javi335; 10-28-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Appreciate 3
BSM n54iS2684.50
feuer4275.50
      10-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #7
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Maybe between crazy ideas and jokes we can find the easiest solution to remove the damn bushings without drop the damn subframe chasis

Honestly i dont think the bushings stand a chance against a good big metal drill bit, and once the hole is done is logical that lot of pressure is gone so you can remove it easily using a hook for example ...

Look at the sizes ...

Check what they can do to a steel plate, then like a said ... to a bushing? however the hole saw is going to be enough probably

Last edited by Javi335; 10-28-2016 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

I've heard of people using just a sawzall and a drill to remove the diff bushings, which are just like smaller subframe bushings
      11-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

you guys clearly haven't read the subframe DIY guide thread all the way through...

Lower each corner of subframe, place socket between chassis and bushing, jack subframe up, use weight of car to push bushing out, use $15 torch to heat the bushing up to speed the process. Throwing some weight in the trunk helps too.

Takes 15minutes per corner... just don't set yourself on fire seeing as how youre so keen on destruction.
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
Javi335
Troll but nice
Spain
Rep

Thanks bNk ... i do read that thread and others but my language barrier and mechanichal knowledge as well doesnt allow me to fully understand the process.

Ironically your resumed post now "click it" to m

However, between use a saw or fire and jacks hehehe, both needs care and looks brute force job.

I was already planning do tree holes in a "triangle" at the edges of the bushes and the use the saw from hole to hole. Always if only the center is metal.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #11
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
Thanks bNk ... i do read that thread and others but my language barrier and mechanichal knowledge as well doesnt allow me to fully understand the process.

Ironically your resumed post now "click it" to m

However, between use a saw or fire and jacks hehehe, both needs care and looks brute force job.

I was already planning do tree holes in a "triangle" at the edges of the bushes and the use the saw from hole to hole. Always if only the center is metal.
It's actually pretty easy!:

Last edited by bNks334; 11-04-2016 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0