E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Possible XDrive LSD options and feedback.

10-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
N54weezy
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi N54

Possible XDrive LSD options and feedback.

XDrive lsd options and review.

What's everyone's setup for lsd in the XDrive system.

Pros and cons ?
Would like to hear everyone's feedback and mileage update with the lsd. Track car or daily driven .
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:30 AM   #2
hughrd1_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A Bimmer

Following
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54weezy View Post
XDrive lsd options and review.

What's everyone's setup for lsd in the XDrive system.

Pros and cons ?
Would like to hear everyone's feedback and mileage update with the lsd. Track car or daily driven .
There shouldn't be any negatives other than the cost and effort to have one installed. The only reason the 335 had no lsd is bmw needed to keep the M3 more upgraded than the 335.
Depends what your goals and driving style are. Have you tried Xdelete? I personally don't like the rwd setting with no lsd....But the in between presets are great if you like the car to feel more rwd bias with maintaining the traction of xdrive.
I should add that if you are planning to keep the normal xdrive settings but add an lsd, you probably won't even notice you have an lsd unless driven to the absolute limits on a track...Too much power get sent to the front wheels. If you are wanting a rwd car then Xdelete with a lsd would be ideal.
      11-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
torrque
Banned
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430, E92 M3, 335xi

Garage List
2005 Ferrari F430  [9.08]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
335xi is a boat on the track... tried it. Not worth it. too much understeer, too heavy, shit suspension for track... Just keep it as a cruiser.
If you want a track car, and BMW, buy an M3
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
N54weezy
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
335xi is a boat on the track... tried it. Not worth it. too much understeer, too heavy, shit suspension for track... Just keep it as a cruiser.
If you want a track car, and BMW, buy an M3
Thanks for the feedback, how was your 335xi ownership. What mods did you put in before jumping to an m3.

Haha Yes m3 is just a different beast on the track. Unfortunately the weather here is more snow and winter. 😢

Just seeing how the modded 335i's are holding up over the years.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
torrque
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, how was your 335xi ownership. What mods did you put in before jumping to an m3.

Haha Yes m3 is just a different beast on the track. Unfortunately the weather here is more snow and winter. 😢

I own both, and I don't track the M3, I track the GT350R, much quicker car

The 335xi is a nice car, very powerful when boosted, see my sig for mods...

... but it was not easy to get here. I had 2 huge problems with the car, one with the crank angle sensor going, and someone installing an aftermarket one, which looked and felt like original, and threw me into a loop of changing all sorts of other parts and DME's for 1 year, before we go to do the crank angle sensor again, and car was good.
Soon after that, turbo's started to smoke more and more, so I had to do it on my own...shops around here quote around 10k for turbo job, so... I lost skin and knuckles, and did it myself. Needless to say, that studs broke into the engine when trying to remove turbos due to rust , etc. It was a hell of a job, but I did it, car is back up and running...

Dollar for dollar, you can't get a nicer car than this... mine has all comforts and sport seats, etc. But if I had to go again, and knowing what I had to do to bring it to a decent shape, I would have never bought it.

Engines seem to be very tough when maintained, mine does not burn any oil at over 130k miles now... Expect to change everything by 100k miles: coil packs, both fuel pumps, plugs, injectors, cam cover, turbos with all lines associated, water pump, thermostat, battery, alternator, fuel pump sensors...
The oil pan gasket will leak like a bitch, so might as well do it when you swap the turbos...
Fun fun fun

But the M3, is a different kettle of fish... hop in, let it warm up, and push that "M"button.... rev her close to 8K rpms... You forget about the 335i, trust me.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
N54weezy
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrque View Post
Quote:

I own both, and I don't track the M3, I track the GT350R, much quicker car

The 335xi is a nice car, very powerful when boosted, see my sig for mods...

... but it was not easy to get here. I had 2 huge problems with the car, one with the crank angle sensor going, and someone installing an aftermarket one, which looked and felt like original, and threw me into a loop of changing all sorts of other parts and DME's for 1 year, before we go to do the crank angle sensor again, and car was good.
Soon after that, turbo's started to smoke more and more, so I had to do it on my own...shops around here quote around 10k for turbo job, so... I lost skin and knuckles, and did it myself. Needless to say, that studs broke into the engine when trying to remove turbos due to rust , etc. It was a hell of a job, but I did it, car is back up and running...

Dollar for dollar, you can't get a nicer car than this... mine has all comforts and sport seats, etc. But if I had to go again, and knowing what I had to do to bring it to a decent shape, I would have never bought it.

Engines seem to be very tough when maintained, mine does not burn any oil at over 130k miles now... Expect to change everything by 100k miles: coil packs, both fuel pumps, plugs, injectors, cam cover, turbos with all lines associated, water pump, thermostat, battery, alternator, fuel pump sensors...
The oil pan gasket will leak like a bitch, so might as well do it when you swap the turbos...
Fun fun fun

But the M3, is a different kettle of fish... hop in, let it warm up, and push that "M"button.... rev her close to 8K rpms... You forget about the 335i, trust me.
100k miles does seem to be the magic number for N54 to start needing big ticket items. Just had waterpump and thermostat done. Luckily no wastegate rattle or turbo smoke sofar. Bought the car and did the standard bolt ons (intake,charge pipe +bov, fmic, downpipes,inlets, exhaust) and all the flash packs available (Mhd, xhp,xdelete).

Looking more into suspension upgrades now as it's getting tired after so many miles.

Thanks for the feedback. Gt350r, m3 and 335i LOL must be hard to pick.

Luckily I have a few friends with f80 and e92 m3 to show me what I'm missing out on 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #8
torrque
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Gt350r, m3 and 335i LOL must be hard to pick.
Not really... It's always the R , unless weather is crap, nothing comes close.

The M3 is second, and 335i always last... But my wife loves the M3, so I don't get it all that often
Appreciate 0