E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Axle disassembly for oil pan removal

11-01-2020, 09:22 PM   #1
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Axle disassembly for oil pan removal

'08 335xi E90 manual. Due to oil dilution from a leaky injector, I'm about to replace the rod bearings. To do this, I need to remove the oil pan. If I were just replacing an OPG, I'd leave the AWD assembly intact and just lower it. However, I need full access to the bottom end, so the pan has to get out of the way.
I'm not clear on what my options are for the axles and diff. Since the subframe is off, I have a lot of swing available in the knuckles. Can I just pop the inner CV joints out of the diff and axle support, or do I have to remove the axles from from the knuckles?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
If you were to just remove the inner cv out of the way it would be doable but you'd have to support them with something as the boot is the only thing holding the inner and outer together. However I don't know how you'd manage to pull out the passenger side one without removing it from the knuckle as that axle is very long.

Is it possible to unbolt the strut off the top and control arms and just drop the whole thing down with the subframe? That would be the best way I'd think
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

You can probably get the short side out without removing the outer from the knuckle (may need to unbolt some of the arms) but I doubt the longer one will come out without removing the outer side from the knuckle first
Appreciate 0