E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > e9x center console cell phone plug-in delete

12-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
e9x center console cell phone plug-in delete

In my 2012 e93 center console is a cell phone plug-in that theoretically allows for quick inset of a cell phone into the audio system for charging and data transmission. It doesn't work with modern phones and I needed to delete it without mucking up the wiring involved. This is the story.

Using a small screw driver into the space between the console body and Plug-in unit, pop the device away from the rest of the console pocket.

Name:  File_000.jpg
Views: 1721
Size:  407.6 KB
Name:  File_001.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  400.3 KB

You'll note that the space left behind provides access from the console storage box to fish a USB cable or AUX cable toward the dash.

Name:  File_002.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  364.2 KB

But you are left with a bulky body of the Plug-In module. I simply used pliers and channel locks to break the plastic unit into pieces until I was left with the basic wiring and circuit board.

Name:  File_003.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  320.2 KB

Name:  File_004.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  355.2 KB

Then I wrapped the circuit board with electricians tape to maintain the functionality of the wiring, because it passes power to the rear seats.

Name:  File_005.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  270.4 KB

I tucked the unit into the console beneath and it was gone! I plan to cut a piece of textured black rubber to create a floor for the console box where the Plug-in device was removed and holes are left behind. One could also use rubberized gutter tape cut to size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0