E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is the E90 intake resonator THAT bad?

01-15-2019, 04:17 AM   #1
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Is the E90 intake resonator THAT bad?

I just did a 3-stage conversion that I had to partially redo thanks to a dying small DISA. That said, the second time around I put on the silicone intake inlet in place of the inlet resonator.

I had noticed the nice boost in power from the 3IM, but it was a little choppy as the A/T shifted esp 2-3. When I reinstalled, I deleted adaptations again, now with the silicone inlet on, and wow, the power delivery was so much smoother and consistent.

Actually made me test the DISAs and recheck everything to make sure everything was still working. No codes except the 2FA3. Power seems there but now even the 2-3 shift has smoothed out in DS. Very linear power throughout most of my driving. I almost feel like I'm just driving in D when I was stock (328i).

So should I continue to be weary or does the smooth silicone inlet make that much of a difference? Or maybe its just all in my head and I'm being the idiot that should just "enjoy it."
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I just like the sound. I don't get why BMW silences the natural intake sound on these engines, but then makes fake engine sounds through the stereo on newer cars.. it's retarded.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Well I just ran what I believe is the fastest 1/4 mile pass ever for a n/a 328 n52 this morning with a stock airbox, very dirty 20k miles k&n drop in filter, and a 4” diameter corrugated pipe connecting my stock airbox to the throttle body. As you guys know I had to pull my AFE intake due to codes it was causing so I wanted to see how this rigged set up compared.

I don’t think the resonator is going to make much difference.

Appreciate 1
      01-15-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
dwashy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Well I just ran what I believe is the fastest 1/4 mile pass ever for a n/a 328 n52 this morning with a stock airbox, very dirty 20k miles k&n drop in filter, and a 4” diameter corrugated pipe connecting my stock airbox to the throttle body. As you guys know I had to pull my AFE intake due to codes it was causing so I wanted to see how this rigged set up compared.

I don’t think the resonator is going to make much difference.

What app is that?
N52 | +1mm MILVs | Catless | 3-Stage IM | BPC Tune | 3.64 diff | AirLift Performance 3H | M3 Control Arms | SPL Parts BumpSteer Correction | UUC Evo 3 Shifter | CCV Delete | Valeo SMF Flywheel | CSF Aluminum Rad | VAC Front Hub Extenders | BMS Cowl Filter Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Well I just ran what I believe is the fastest 1/4 mile pass ever for a n/a 328 n52 this morning with a stock airbox, very dirty 20k miles k&n drop in filter, and a 4" diameter corrugated pipe connecting my stock airbox to the throttle body. As you guys know I had to pull my AFE intake due to codes it was causing so I wanted to see how this rigged set up compared.

I don't think the resonator is going to make much difference.

Nice run. So maybe it's all in my head? Still feels smoother, so I'll take that at face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I just like the sound. I don't get why BMW silences the natural intake sound on these engines, but then makes fake engine sounds through the stereo on newer cars.. it's retarded.
Yeah, and if I'm being honest, the silicone is easier to fit into place vs the unforgiving plastic (though I know the Mishimoto version gave people headaches for awhile).

Thanks again for making the 330i flash a reality for the community.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
What app is that?
It’s called Dragy and it’s a GPS timing device like VBox but it pairs with a phone.

https://www.amazon.com/dragy-10Hz-Ba.../dp/B077KKPMTB
Appreciate 0