E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

01-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #2509
ckanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Wanted to write a quick review on Stage 3

I have a 2013 335I drive with a JB 4 on stage 1. The transmission always felt like it wasn't matched to the car. Hard to describe it, it just felt off. Plus the kick down was terrible.

I was very hesitant to install stage 3 because i drive this car for work and sometimes with clients in it. I couldn't have some boy racer hard shifting transmission. I went with stage 3 on a hope.

Turns out its amazing, in daily driving in D, no one would ever guess this trans has been tuned. Even at full throttle upshifts in D, they are smooth and very quick. No jolt, no hard shift, nothing. It shifts exactly how it should have from the factory. M mode is incredible. It's like driving a stick, shifts are fast and smooth, and most importantly, they are done when you click the paddle.

Haven't messed with S mode yet.

Simply put, this is the best 200ish dollars I have spent on the car. I used an Amazon Fire HD tablet, and a 18 dollar cable off amazon. I didn't disconnect my JB4. Install was smooth with no problems.

To anyone on the fence, buy it. It's worth it.
Appreciate 5
      01-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #2510
crazyazz
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Is development finished for the 135i? No more planned revisions to the OTS files?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:48 AM   #2511
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 335i F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyazz View Post
Is development finished for the 135i? No more planned revisions to the OTS files?
Nothing planned at the moment, but that does not mean it will be so forever.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #2512
rborane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N55

Just flashed stage 3 along with MHD stage 1.

The shifts are great but now my car feels like it lags, is not as responsive, and takes a lot more throttle in D mode and down in low RPM's to build power.. Anyone else experience something similar?

Last edited by rborane; 01-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #2513
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Just flashed stage 3 along with MHD stage 1.

The shifts are great but now my car feels like it lags, is not as responsive, and takes a lot more throttle in D mode and down in low RPM's to build power.. Anyone else experience something similar?
Did you choose the linear throttle option when flashing MHD?
2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | JB4 w/ MHD BEF | xHP Custom TCU tune | Phoenix Racing Chargepipe | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catted Downpipe | M Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler | Lux H8 180
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #2514
rborane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
Did you choose the linear throttle option when flashing MHD?
No. Stock throttle.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:57 PM   #2515
Street of Rage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

If you purchased customization module, enable displaying gear on screen "Actual Gear" and see what happens. By default, I believe gear display is "target gear" to be shifted to

Also If you're picking up speed from 5-10mph range from braking, 2nd gear is probably engaged. Just a thought.
      01-15-2019, 10:42 PM   #2516
Coupes33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spollie View Post
Can someone please clarify? The descriptions about shift speeds in the manual and in the app are contradicting:

What setting gives me the faster shifts? Slider to the right (positive value) or slider to the left (negative value)?
I haven't been on this thread for a while and have just read this post. It explains the issues I have encountered with my transmission. When the customisation mode became available, I purchased it specifically for the shift speed changes. I needed to improve my time down the strip by 0.04s to get into the 10s and thought slightly faster shift speeds may do the trick. I made the shift speed changes on the day I went to the drags as per the directions in the Manual. I had 3 runs with the best a 11.127s and the TCU through up a fault code for the 1st time and the transmission started to make some strange noises. After reading this post and realising that I had made the shift speeds slower instead of harder and faster, the cause for the slower times, TCU fault code and noises was obvious. The settings for shift speed were causing more clutch slippage. I have now reset the shift speeds in the correct direction and appears initially that the noises have gone. Whether the clutches have been damaged, time will tell. All due to poor management of the Manual content. It is imperative that the app and manual give the same and correct information.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #2517
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

No setting in the app is able to trigger noises from the clutches. It's not your clutches squeaking, it's your bushings being worn out and transmission's shafts having too much play. (common 6HP fault)

The setting is there for fine-tuning the shifts. Most noticeable for the driver is the torque-kick on shifts getting harder or smoother with that setting. But as said, that is fine-tuning. No way you can create a transmission fault with this setting, unless the trans is already at the fringe.

The description in the app is correct. The directions got reversed a few weeks after introduction because most users did it wrong, despite the description. The text in the app was immediately updated accordingly, but we missed it in the manual. Sorry for that.

Update of the manual is in progress!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #2518
E82_Dann
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

MHD Tune and XHP Flash

New here and I have been trying to read up to find an answer, but so far nothing. I've been trying to read up and find out if I have to uninstall my MHD tune before going ahead and installing the XHP flash, or can I just go ahead and do it while MHD tune is still on car?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #2519
lucasmiller2015
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82_Dann View Post
New here and I have been trying to read up to find an answer, but so far nothing. I've been trying to read up and find out if I have to uninstall my MHD tune before going ahead and installing the XHP flash, or can I just go ahead and do it while MHD tune is still on car?
Nope, MHD and xHP are on separate control units so you don't have to uninstall MHD before you flash xHP. However, it is recommended that you re-flash whatever MHD map you're running and select the xHP option (for N54) or the manual option (for N55) so that the correct torque values are reported to the transmission.
2011 E90 335i | Black Sapphire Metallic | JB4 w/ MHD BEF | xHP Custom TCU tune | Phoenix Racing Chargepipe | VRSF 5" Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catted Downpipe | M Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler | Lux H8 180
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #2520
Coupes33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
No setting in the app is able to trigger noises from the clutches. It's not your clutches squeaking, it's your bushings being worn out and transmission's shafts having too much play. (common 6HP fault)

The setting is there for fine-tuning the shifts. Most noticeable for the driver is the torque-kick on shifts getting harder or smoother with that setting. But as said, that is fine-tuning. No way you can create a transmission fault with this setting, unless the trans is already at the fringe.

The description in the app is correct. The directions got reversed a few weeks after introduction because most users did it wrong, despite the description. The text in the app was immediately updated accordingly, but we missed it in the manual. Sorry for that.

Update of the manual is in progress!
I doubt the bushes are worn out in the transmission as it has only done 2,000kms since being installed and the transmission is a fully rebuilt and upgraded transmission. There were no issues with the transmission before the last meeting. Regardless, it is good that the manual is being updated so it reflects the same information as the app.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #2521
E82_Dann
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmiller2015 View Post
Nope, MHD and xHP are on separate control units so you don't have to uninstall MHD before you flash xHP. However, it is recommended that you re-flash whatever MHD map you're running and select the xHP option (for N54) or the manual option (for N55) so that the correct torque values are reported to the transmission.
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to jump into it without being 100%
Appreciate 1
      Today, 03:44 AM   #2522
RBT-Tuning
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
I doubt the bushes are worn out in the transmission as it has only done 2,000kms since being installed and the transmission is a fully rebuilt and upgraded transmission. There were no issues with the transmission before the last meeting. Regardless, it is good that the manual is being updated so it reflects the same information as the app.
Then someone went wrong during re-build. A trans does not squeak or squeal when properly assembled and clearances OK. Never.
Appreciate 0