E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pro Tools vs Carley App

01-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Pro Tools vs Carley App

Hi Guys and Gals

Has anyone tried the new Pro tools App??

How does it compare to Carley?? I have Carley and fortunately bought it before the new yearly subscription charge so don't have to pay any more for it.

is it worth upgrading to, or would something like the foxwell unit be a better buy??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:13 AM   #2
mashurst
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i E92 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Hi Guys and Gals

Has anyone tried the new Pro tools App??

How does it compare to Carley?? I have Carley and fortunately bought it before the new yearly subscription charge so don't have to pay any more for it.

is it worth upgrading to, or would something like the foxwell unit be a better buy??

Thanks
I'm about to buy one or the other now so I'd be interested to hear any thoughts too.

FWIW This guys does a good review of Pro Tools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6me7XGLd5Mw

He is from the USA though, so some of this might not apply to us here.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
dappamikey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325D M Sport (Evolved)

I have both..and tbh I use them both for different things as there are certain functions in one that is not in the other..... Really depends what you want it for. For example, I needed to reset 'short circuit count' on my FRM due to a bad interior led bulb and Xenon ballast... Carly cannot do this but Pro Tool can. Initial outlay for Pro Tool is quite a bit compared to Carly
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappamikey View Post
I have both..and tbh I use them both for different things as there are certain functions in one that is not in the other..... Really depends what you want it for. For example, I needed to reset 'short circuit count' on my FRM due to a bad interior led bulb and Xenon ballast... Carly cannot do this but Pro Tool can. Initial outlay for Pro Tool is quite a bit compared to Carly
likes of protool can be sold on though,,the carly app cannot,and a subscription is shite i think...ive already got a foxwell nt510,,but if i didnt id buy a protool
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Burny
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
likes of protool can be sold on though,,the carly app cannot,and a subscription is shite i think...ive already got a foxwell nt510,,but if i didnt id buy a protool
Hi,
I've got the foxwell too, do you know if you can code digital Speedo on the cluster like Carly can? And also do coding for power mirrors.
To be honest I only got it to scan for fault codes and now would like to do some coding if it is capable.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
Giggss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i N52

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Save yourself money, buy a K+DCAN cable and learn how to code, it's really not hard and theres so many guides out there.

Once you've learnt how to use NCS expert the possibilities are endless.

For fault codes use INPA, for me personally I put in the time to learn which wasn't much and now I don't even consider those.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggss View Post
Save yourself money, buy a K+DCAN cable and learn how to code, it's really not hard and theres so many guides out there.

Once you've learnt how to use NCS expert the possibilities are endless.

For fault codes use INPA, for me personally I put in the time to learn which wasn't much and now I don't even consider those.
I had the software before I even bought my E60 BMW. Reading and playing with the software as practice. When I found the carI bought the Bimmergeeks cable and did the coding I wanted.

Protools came out and thought why buy it.
My daughter bought a 328xi E92 recently and I needed something quick because I am usually doing other things on it besides fiddling with a laptop.
I had the cable so the Master license seemed like a pretty damn good deal.

Not once did I entertain the thought of buying Carly, especially now with a subscription service when I have standard tools and ISTA
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:19 PM   #8
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burny View Post
Hi,
I've got the foxwell too, do you know if you can code digital Speedo on the cluster like Carly can? And also do coding for power mirrors.
To be honest I only got it to scan for fault codes and now would like to do some coding if it is capable.
Thanks
nope,,coding is wheer the foxwell aint good,,but i think they will be adding things like that in future,,that was a question i put to them when i first bought mine,,free lifetime updates with mine so if it becomes a feature then alls good..if not im not bothered as i bought mine for trouble shooting
Appreciate 0