E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > CIC not working only radio on

03-12-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
sherlockBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

CIC not working only radio on

Hello,

Recently I've been having issues with CIC iDrive and only the radio works.

I was having starting issues and the yellow battery warning and two garages told me the battery was OK but not charging and the alternator was faulty which has been replaced with a new genuine BMW part.

I also charged the battery up fully and the car is starting fine. As far as I'm aware the battery is the original in the car from 2008, I've had the car since 2012 and not replaced it.

The CIC iDrive is a retro fit using an emulator and has been in the car for 7 years without issue. Prior to that I only had the standard radio & Bluetooth for the phone.

After replacing the alternator CIC would intermittently run OK and I would have full function of Satnav, phone, parking sensors etc.

Now every time the screen doesn't come on and I have no activity from the controller or steering wheel controls for any function. The radio will work from the CIC unit, but will only stay on for 20 minutes, pressing the mute button will get audio back after a few seconds. Although when turning the car off and removing the key the radio will continue to play.

I have no other functions apart from the radio, no Bluetooth no parking sensors etc.

Using the Carly app I have the following error stored under Engine 003EED Power management quiescent current (layer PMRUHVERL)

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockBMW View Post
Hello,

I was having starting issues and the yellow battery warning and two garages told me the battery was OK but not charging and the alternator was faulty which has been replaced with a new genuine BMW part.

I also charged the battery up fully and the car is starting fine. As far as I'm aware the battery is the original in the car from 2008, I've had the car since 2012 and not replaced it.

The CIC iDrive is a retro fit using an emulator and has been in the car for 7 years without issue. Prior to that I only had the standard radio & Bluetooth for the phone.

After replacing the alternator CIC would intermittently run OK and I would have full function of Satnav, phone, parking sensors etc.

Now every time the screen doesn't come on and I have no activity from the controller or steering wheel controls for any function. The radio will work from the CIC unit, but will only stay on for 20 minutes, pressing the mute button will get audio back after a few seconds. Although when turning the car off and removing the key the radio will continue to play.

I have no other functions apart from the radio, no Bluetooth no parking sensors etc.

Using the Carly app I have the following error stored under Engine 003EED Power management quiescent current (layer PMRUHVERL)

Many thanks
003eed is not related to cic, my 330d had that without nav. Again at the time battery was original to car and likely on way out, ended up with new battery when it finally died but that was probably from me barely using the car, was driving other 330d almost all the time. 003eed not been back since new battery. Weird things happen when battery on way out but not sure would explain what you've experienced. I'd certainly start with a new battery and code it properly though, can't hurt and probably needs it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #3
sherlockBMW
Rep

Thanks, I’ve ordered a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
sherlockBMW
Rep

I swapped the battery yesterday, registered it via the Carly app and everything was great and idrive functioning correctly.

Today I get back in and the screen is dead and the radio works as before cutting out after 30 minutes.

I cleared any errors via Carly yesterday after swapping the battery but this morning again I had the 003EED error.

Suggestions for what next to check?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Have you checked how much draw there is on the battery with the car off and asleep?

Have you checked the voltage with the car on and running? Alternator.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:37 AM   #6
sherlockBMW
Rep

With the ignition off battery is reading 12.18 with the car running it’s 14.8.

Alternator has been replaced, how do I check it?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #7
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not convinced this is the same issue but I had similar on my other E92 with CIC pro nav, most of the time was fine but occasionally I'd start the car and things would work like music playback but display was just red screen, putting into reverse would give tones for distance but still nothing on screen, just red. Turn car off/on again and would go back to working again, red screen seems to be a known issue and I got BMW to change out the CIC unit under warranty but you say you have a blank screen instead so maybe not the same at all...

Ps seems I mixed my cars up 003EED was from the nav car not the other, Carly was showing 003EED under engine/motor.

Maybe this still helps, photo attached of the red screen and dates for each... Red screen was a while after 003EED spotted.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:08 PM   #8
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
With the ignition off battery is reading 12.18 with the car running it's 14.8.

Alternator has been replaced, how do I check it?
At 14.8 your alternator is ok.

Your emulator may be at fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 03:09 AM   #9
sherlockBMW
Rep

Thanks,

I’ve never had a red screen so would suggest a different fault.

If I was to replace the emulator will it need coding?

Stupid question if I remove the emulator I assume I will lose sat nav, mine is hardwired into the loom if I was to cut the wires would this work or cause further issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #10
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks,

I’ve never had a red screen so would suggest a different fault.

If I was to replace the emulator will it need coding?

Stupid question if I remove the emulator I assume I will lose sat nav, mine is hardwired into the loom if I was to cut the wires would this work or cause further issues?
OK I missed this was emulator if mentioned before, I'd remove it entirely from the equation. CIC can have self signed retrofit fsc certificates quite easily these days, use same VIN as the car and will be as if it had factory fitted nav and all functions available like bmw apps if wanted. Emulator is just another source of potential problems you can do without and could well be where the problem is. I'm guessing you have CIC Pro retrofitted with Premium maps?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #11
sherlockBMW
Rep

Yes I have retrofitted pro and premium maps.

As the emulator is hardwired into the loom is it OK to just cut it out?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:05 AM   #12
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Hello,

Many thanks
The problem is the emulator has failed and the can bus information is not being passed to the cic from the car.

Either replace the emulator or code the cic to the cars vin and install the FSC certs.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:07 AM   #13
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided1 View Post
I'm not convinced this is the same issue but I had similar on my other E92 with CIC pro nav, most of the time was fine but occasionally I'd start the car and things would work like music playback but display was just red screen, putting into reverse would give tones for distance but still nothing on screen, just red. Turn car off/on again and would go back to working again, red screen seems to be a known issue and I got BMW to change out the CIC unit under warranty but you say you have a blank screen instead so maybe not the same at all...

Ps seems I mixed my cars up 003EED was from the nav car not the other, Carly was showing 003EED under engine/motor.

Maybe this still helps, photo attached of the red screen and dates for each... Red screen was a while after 003EED spotted.
RED screen means that the CIC is faulty, something has got corrupted, i would suggest that you reflash the cic (63,62 and A0), do them with an icom and do them in the correct order.

Fingers crossed it will fix the red screen problem

Last edited by ccfj1; 03-25-2021 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 05:12 AM   #14
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have retrofitted pro and premium maps.

As the emulator is hardwired into the loom is it OK to just cut it out?
No, you will need to resolder the Can bus wires back to the original configuration.

Thats said, it could be just take the emulator/hardwired extension lead (if its been done that way) out.

If you remove the emulator, the nav will gray out, but all other functions (not apps), will work.

You could script the cic so it still works, but updating the maps become more difficult.

Best would be to patch the cic and use the self signed certs and recode the cic to your car. you will need to be running the latest version of firmware for this.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #15
sherlockBMW
Rep

Thank you for al the help. I have removed the emulator and its wiring and everything is now working correctly. As expected Sat Nav is now disabled but that was less of my concern when I wanted everything else to work as the priority.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #16
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Perfect, I would script enable the cic or change the FSC codes to reflect your vin.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #17
Mc 007
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Hello
Have a trouble with my CIC,radio stations vanish, when this happens also the volume vanish from every source,also the navi voice
Other works perfectly,what can be?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:52 PM   #18
TSilver335i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc 007 View Post
Hello
Have a trouble with my CIC,radio stations vanish, when this happens also the volume vanish from every source,also the navi voice
Other works perfectly,what can be?
Did you do any recent coding? I had an issue where RADIO_IBOC changed to nicht_aktiv changing it to aktiv fixed the radio stations
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:05 PM   #19
Mc 007
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSilver335i View Post
Did you do any recent coding? I had an issue where RADIO_IBOC changed to nicht_aktiv changing it to aktiv fixed the radio stations
Yes,i had early navi CCC and from when i install CIC this trouble come out,this happens immediattly when i start drive and after some mins sound come back,also radio station list
If the car stay parked with motor on or off no troubles

Last edited by Mc 007; 01-16-2022 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0