E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Price Check 2011 335is

11-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
LarryFish
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330xi

Price Check 2011 335is

Looking at a 2011 335is tomorrow. The guy is pretty firm on 20k but I know its not worth that.

Heres the link:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=285340299

I got the Carfax. It reports the value as $17,982. The car was hit in the rear and received a minor damage report.

It is up to date on all major services. HPFP, Injectors replaced. Ignition coils and plugs. Oil filter housing gasket. New brakes on front and rear im unsure about tires.

The car is also missing a piece of convertible top trim. Its about $90 from ecs new primed.

So here's the question, What should I pay for this thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

It's pretty low mileage and a desirable color combo. Not sure how much the convertible part adds/subtracts from the going rates. CarGurus seems to think it's a good deal. What do other 35is's go for in your area? Market plays a considerable role. Used car prices have also gone up with the pandemic.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It has had three owners, a bit of wear on the drivers seat for 50K miles and an accident. I would not come close to the asking price but might offer $17K if it had a good PPI and I really want it.
      11-15-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
LarryFish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
It has had three owners, a bit of wear on the drivers seat for 50K miles and an accident. I would not come close to the asking price but might offer $17K if it had a good PPI and I really want it.
Quote:
I just went to see it, guy is firm firm firm. I showed him the carfax and kbb values he considered it. He said he has other interested parties that are gonna get a loan so I get that. Nice guy though. Im hoping this buyer claiming hes waiting for bank approval backs out. Hopefully he comes down a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It’s easy to decline the first offer, he may have a reality check and lower his expectations or get lucky and find a buyer that will pay asking price.
      11-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
LarryFish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's easy to decline the first offer, he may have a reality check and lower his expectations or get lucky and find a buyer that will pay asking price.
What do you think its realistically worth? Im thinking like 17.5k and thats highballing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I am not an expert, I would simply do the research and determine what I was willing to pay for a car. Odds are, the longer a car sits the more willing the seller is to adjust the price. He is likely emotionally attached to the car and that clouds the fact that it was in an accident, it’s a three owner car and is nearly ten years old.
      11-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Honnestly I'd say that price is kinda accurate for what it is. Mine was similar and I paid similar price.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
LarryFish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Honnestly I'd say that price is kinda accurate for what it is.
Even considering its missing roof trim, drivers seat is worn and minor damage report? It also has two decent scratches on the deck lid.

My offer today was the car fax price. 17,900. Really nice guy said he had to consider it see what was going on with the other guy with financing. Im trying to avoid spending 20k as its really getting close to 435i/235i prices. I have seen a number of f32s with 70k mileage for around 20k so its tough to justify that much for a 10 year old 3 owner car. But is an is, unmolested for sure, babied and stored on a lift.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
LarryFish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
It's pretty low mileage and a desirable color combo. Not sure how much the convertible part adds/subtracts from the going rates. CarGurus seems to think it's a good deal. What do other 35is's go for in your area? Market plays a considerable role. Used car prices have also gone up with the pandemic.
One in Ct went for 20k. 63k miles 6 speed 2013 model. So its close to value but i wanna know if the carfax value is accurate. They determine value to be just shy of 18k. I feel like 17.5k-18k is appropriate. maybe 18.5k but i feel that 19-20 is a lot
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #11
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFish View Post
Even considering its missing roof trim, drivers seat is worn and minor damage report? It also has two decent scratches on the deck lid.

My offer today was the car fax price. 17,900. Really nice guy said he had to consider it see what was going on with the other guy with financing. Im trying to avoid spending 20k as its really getting close to 435i/235i prices. I have seen a number of f32s with 70k mileage for around 20k so its tough to justify that much for a 10 year old 3 owner car. But is an is, unmolested for sure, babied and stored on a lift.
Okay yeah maybe a few grand less, that offer I'd probably take if that was me.

I was in the same boat I didn't want to pay that much for a E92 when newer generation cars were like right on the same price but the day I test drove the 435i and notice the awful steering I figured it isn't to bad. And couldn't afford a M4 yet. And a IS is more special.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #12
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I think the lack of 19's on it really retract from asking value, since it only has 18 313's you should pay what you want on top of accident imo

Seat is a little beat up..
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:49 PM   #13
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

I think the real price hit comes from it being a convertible. 3 owners isn't out of the ordinary for 9/10 years old, miles are low..if this was a coupe he'd get 20k in a heartbeat. 18k estimate on carfax seems to be more accurate...before the pandemic it would've been a 16k car max.

If you REALLY want a convertible IS you just gotta ask yourself if any extra 2k is worth paying for this specific one.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
I think the real price hit comes from it being a convertible. 3 owners isn't out of the ordinary for 9/10 years old, miles are low..if this was a coupe he'd get 20k in a heartbeat. 18k estimate on carfax seems to be more accurate...before the pandemic it would've been a 16k car max.

If you REALLY want a convertible IS you just gotta ask yourself if any extra 2k is worth paying for this specific one.
why being a convertible affect the price? , if anything being a convertible increases the price a bit more. All the convertible I ve seen online cost more than non convertibles, and it makes sense , the car is sportier....
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #15
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Convertible is sportier? That's news to me. Didn't think extra weight and a less rigid chassis meant sportier.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1366.00
      12-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #16
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
why being a convertible affect the price? , if anything being a convertible increases the price a bit more. All the convertible I ve seen online cost more than non convertibles, and it makes sense , the car is sportier....
3 series convertibles have ALWAYS sold for less than an equivalent coupe on the used market. They're perceived as having more potential issues, and they're not at all sportier than a coupe counterpart--the convertible variant is always going to be both heavier and have a floppier chassis.

This was true when I bought my e30's almost 10 years ago, about 3.5k for a clean convertible and 4.5-5k for a coupe. It's been consistent for e36, e46, and e93.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:12 PM   #17
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
3 series convertibles have ALWAYS sold for less than an equivalent coupe on the used market. They're perceived as having more potential issues, and they're not at all sportier than a coupe counterpart--the convertible variant is always going to be both heavier and have a floppier chassis.

This was true when I bought my e30's almost 10 years ago, about 3.5k for a clean convertible and 4.5-5k for a coupe. It's been consistent for e36, e46, and e93.
i dont know man , I can put money down that a hard top convertible is perceived more sportier , luxurious and expensive than the counter part. In my area convertibles cost more than coupes last time I check.

heavier and floppier sure, but majority of people do not care about that, the 335 is a luxury car, not a sport car. You want a sport car , get a m3 .

As potential issues? , sure , same can be said for a 335 coupe alone. People buying these cars are usually people that can afford repairs on them.

I ll take a convertible over a coupe in a heartbeat, damn , I ve been looking for a convertible at a reasonable price for a while but they are always more expensive than the coupes. If I want a true sport car , I ll be looking somewhere else. I would think 99% of people buying a 335 are not looking to go on a track and throw it around. All these talk about handling is pure BS , very few people , if any , are pushing these cars nowhere close to its limits.

Im sure there will be a lot of internet racers saying that they do , highly doubt it. Most of these kids wont be able to afford tires and brakes or repairs once every 3 months .
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #18
rick100
Colonel
Rep

this is around my area... This is usually the case with 335s around here. I check from time to time to see a good deal on a convertible but very rarely I see them under 20 000$ with low mileage . Coupes, there is a dozen of them always under 20 000$ and low mileage. The 335is is the other one hard to find under 20 000$ here, if they are convertible even worst, people asking close to 30 000$ sometimes

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/bmw/3...advancedSearch

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/3%20...206C3&sprx=100
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #19
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
this is around my area... This is usually the case with 335s around here. I check from time to time to see a good deal on a convertible but very rarely I see them under 20 000$ with low mileage . Coupes, there is a dozen of them always under 20 000$ and low mileage. The 335is is the other one hard to find under 20 000$ here, if they are convertible even worst, people asking close to 30 000$ sometimes

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/bmw/3...advancedSearch

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/3%20...206C3&sprx=100
For some reason, in other parts of the world people love convertible. Like all the Germans at my work think it's so cool to come to the USA and buy a convertible Mustang GT, etc.. While most people in the USA see them as chick or mid life crisis cars. Plus as said they are more likely to have issues(more parts/more complex) and they are heavier and less tight. I've never seen convertibles priced higher than normal coupe/sedan when looking at used prices in the USA
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:46 PM   #20
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
For some reason, in other parts of the world people love convertible. Like all the Germans at my work think it's so cool to come to the USA and buy a convertible Mustang GT, etc.. While most people in the USA see them as chick or mid life crisis cars. Plus as said they are more likely to have issues(more parts/more complex) and they are heavier and less tight. I've never seen convertibles priced higher than normal coupe/sedan when looking at used prices in the USA
but the 335 is viewed mostly as chick car regardless, even in the usa, I mean even on american movies you do not see the guys driving around in their 335. You could argue the 335 is more capable of 90% of the cars presented on movies, however you would see american V8s , subarus , hondas , nissans way before you see a bmw , and if you get to see a bmw , its probably a M one.

To be honest with you heavier and less tight does not mean crap for the market of the bmw 335. It is not a sports car, its more of a luxury car. 99% of people buying these cars are not going to go anywhere near a track period. They will not even drive the car to 50% of its potential on curves.
People are already scare enough with the maintenance bill on these cars to be risking potential mechanical issues for driving them hard.

This heavier argument is also not really valid , a 303 hp car is plenty capable , and they can even be tune for more power. Convertible or not , this car is fast for the street. The less tight argument is even worst, I have yet to see someone throwing their 335i around outside the track like it was a Miata.

To me BMW brand is more about style, luxury and some sportiness in that order.

I understand these cars are more accessible now and more people are trying to make them sports cars, but again the market is floated with 335i coupes, I have seen them as low as 8000 $ canadian . I have never seen a convertible for that price. To me a convertible is marketed for the guys with deeper pockets that want something up from a regular coupe. Someone that wants to look rich , have a garage queen type of car , and still have some sportiness

I actually would prefer a used convertible over a coupe if I were to use it around town. Chances are the guy who owned it did not race the car , or track the car . You can even argue that the few convertibles for sale are usually in better shape than the coupes. A lot of the coupes I see for sale are usually somewhat modded too , so I kind of know whoever owned it probably beat the crap out it hahah

Last edited by rick100; 12-01-2020 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #21
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Well..... there is that convertible iS going for 30k so we'll see eh

But it's the DCT that is the factor that will drive the price up opposed to a mt, not coupe vs. conv.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #22
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I drove an E46 325Cic for seven years and my perception was that convertibles are heavier than coupes and slower as a result. The coupe was designed for racing and are the standard for the platform. I never got the impression that the 335 was a chick car and couldn’t care less what someone thinks about it. I enjoy doing the DIY projects and keeping it running well.