E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
12
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (0)

Zaino

Please don't flame me - what exactly is Zaino? Why is it so awesome? How do you apply it, etc.? I'm sure this has been posted a million times but a brief description or link would help greatly. Thanks!
__________________
330i/TiSilver/Black Leather/Step/Poplar/Prem/Sport/Cold Weather/Navi-Idrive/Sirius
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
57
Rep
1,730
Posts

Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
JVFan
Lieutenant
JVFan's Avatar
15
Rep
515
Posts

Drives: Very Well
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lloydminster, AB CANADA

iTrader: (1)

Check out the wax/detail section of this forum ...also zaino.com....never have used it but detailers at forums such as here and volvo's seem to swear by it....one dude here put 10 coats on...a bit OCD for this cat...but whatever floats your boat....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
57
Rep
1,730
Posts

Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVFan
Check out the wax/detail section of this forum ...also zaino.com....never have used it but detailers at forums such as here and volvo's seem to swear by it....one dude here put 10 coats on...a bit OCD for this cat...but whatever floats your boat....
true 3-4 is perfect and the stuff is great! On black its sick!
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 01:13 AM   #5
paullo
Captain
paullo's Avatar
Canada
17
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: ThreeThreeFive
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz5
true 3-4 is perfect and the stuff is great! On black its sick!

I have to agree. I picked up a bunch of Zaino stuff through the local reseller in town and was somewhat skeptical (of the price, and the fact the instructions say to use sparingly...) but fear not!

This stuff is AMAZING on a black car, especially sapphire black, it's truely something to behold. The process is somewhat more labor intensive than say Turtle-wax, but the results are 10 times better. And after a heavy rainstorm last night, the car still looks like it was just cleaned.

Follow the instructions, and enjoy
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #6
bozo5521
First Lieutenant
bozo5521's Avatar
8
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: '04/E53/X5/3.0/PP
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

ZAINO = PERFECTION. And unlike "regular" waxes and polishes, you can apply as many times as you want. everytime you apply another coat, it just gets better and better because of the purity of the wax...which is why its no good for getting rid of water spots..other waxes have cleansing agents that reduce the quality of the wax..

if youre a beginner, its best to just get a bottle of Z2, Z5 and Z6 and go from there...no clay bar, just dawn liquid to "purify" the clearcoat...then move on to the heavier stuff, like ZFX, etc...youll be amazed!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
958
Rep
7,112
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

Zaino Zaino Zaino...sheesh. Fact of the matter is #1 It's good stuff, #2 Neurotic car people love it because the Zaino experience involves lots of neat little bottles of different stuff. #3 Neurotic car people like to spend hours on their cars and that process of applying Zaino is more than happy to help them.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
bimmer4me
Captain
bimmer4me's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
996
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
ZAINO QUESTION...

I'm planning to do the Performance Center Delivery. It's a 500 mile drive back home. Should I dawn and wax my new car before I make my trek home or does it matter?? Oh yeah, and I just made my first Zaino purchase and plan to apply it my 1992 Honda Accord so I can learn how to apply it properly before I take delivery.
__________________

2006 330i Monaco Blue | Grey | Walnut
...Manual | Sports | Premium | Cold | Nav | Comfort Access | PDC | Sirius | Sunshade
...M-Tec Steering Wheel | M-Tec Shifter | TLC
...Performance Center Delivery | Oct 14, 2005
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
campbell1082
Guest
0
Rep
n/a
Posts

Drives:


DONT WASTE IT ON THAT ACCORD! you cant "mess up" zaino on your E90....hell, apply the whole bottle in 1 coat if you want, its not gonna hurt your car.......your just wasting zaino that could be used to add that one last final coat to make it look extra incredible! if you can read squirt liquid onto a cotton towel, and rub in straight lines...then your already a zaino pro!
PS - I would put it on BEFORE the 500 mile trip...REASON being....you want your car to be as CLEAN AS POSSIBLE before applying the first coat of zaino....the cleanest your call will probably ever be is RIGHT at delivery..especially from the performance center....if you get your car dirty or covered in bugs, or anything...you should really use a claybar and remove EVERYTHING..even the tiny little stuff you cant see......point is..if you have an extra hour or 2 before you have to head back home, take the time to strip the wax with dawn, and apply the Z2-Pro with ZFX (so that it will set quickly).....email me at campbell1082@Aol.com if you need more instructions
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
6
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: 2006 325I
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tempe, AZ

iTrader: (2)

I agree, do it before. Once you get home the bug remains that will inevitably be all over the front of your vehicle will slide right off with no effort at all. Actually if it were at all possible I would have the 3M Clear Bra or similar installed before the trek home as well. Nothing would suck more then having a few nice rock chips on that brand new car.


Jesse
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #11
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
129
Rep
6,386
Posts

Drives: 04 X5 3.0, 07 530xiT
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hudson, Quebec

iTrader: (1)

I am now a Zaino clay bar sworn member. It takes less than two minutes to clay bar the front bumper, and it is PERFECT.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
4701
Rep
5,623
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell1082
DONT WASTE IT ON THAT ACCORD! you cant "mess up" zaino on your E90....
NOT true, because I did mess up, and there are straight line scratches on the hood to prove it. Wife can't see them, but I do every time I wash it. Practice on the Accord, especially if you are going to hold on to it. No reason any car can't look showroom bright. (No, I don't get any reimbursement)
I put too much on the 2nd coat (or maybe the Z6/8 in between), and while removing the Z2, it bunched up on the rag and scratched the hood. There were these little clumps of Z2 in the cloth fibers. They were soft enough to pull out of the fiber and mash around in my fingertips, but tough enough to scratch the hood.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 10:04 AM   #13
dnh325i
Private
United_States
0
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: '13 128i / Al Wht / Blk Lthr
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer4me
ZAINO QUESTION...

Oh yeah, and I just made my first Zaino purchase and plan to apply it my 1992 Honda Accord so I can learn how to apply it properly before I take delivery.
I did the same thing on my 2001 Taurus - made it look great!! I almost didn't want to get rid of it! Anybody want to buy it?
__________________
2006 E90 325i / Alpine White / Terra / Premium / Steptronic / Xenons / Fold down seats / No front license plate
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 11:52 AM   #14
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
57
Rep
1,730
Posts

Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
I am now a Zaino clay bar sworn member. It takes less than two minutes to clay bar the front bumper, and it is PERFECT.
Ditto in this, plus the rear bumper collects stuff also, so clay bar is a good idea for these areas.
__________________
13 F10 535xi JB/B working on it
11.75 E93 M3 MR/Black Stock (wifey)
11 F10 535i AW/CB Mods Gone
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 01:25 PM   #15
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
etherbored's Avatar
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: das gut
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here

iTrader: (0)

UncleWede -
would you clarify your gaffe for those of us who haven't used zaino before...?
arigato in advance,
-e-
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #16
campbell1082
Guest
0
Rep
n/a
Posts

Drives:


once again, i highly urge you NOT to waste on your accord...these people who say they have scratched their cars using it, scratched it because of other reasons...NOT the zaino....I simply cannot believe that the "build up" of Zaino scratched the car....it has no physical properties even when dry that could scratch your car.....more than likely, they did not clean their car good enough, and had little grains of sand on their applicator pad, and ended up scratching the surface...NOT the zaino........if you can follow directions correctly, there is NO need to "practice" and waste Zaino on your Accord. If anyone still wants to argue that Zaino can scratch your car, even from "build up", then feel free to post...but I promise it WILL NOT scratch your car in any form that it takes on....liquid or solid....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 02:09 PM   #17
campbell1082
Guest
0
Rep
n/a
Posts

Drives:


i hate to post 2 replies back to back...but I just feel I need to stress how much I disagree with the posts saying that the Zaino scratched these peoples cars....please trust me when I say that it WILL NOT scratch your car, even when dry, or built up from applying TOO MUCH to your car....the reason you get straight scratch lines on your hood is because you probably didnt clean your car good enough...or dont inspect your applicator pad often during applying......a few missed grains of sand..almost invisible to the eye..can scratch your car really easily if they become trapped in your applicator or towel when removing....Zaino isnt fool proof...but it is a miracle worker if you do it right!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #18
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
4701
Rep
5,623
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I had clayed my car, then applied the first coat of Z2/Zfx, then Z6, then Z8, then put on the second coat of Z2/ZFX. While wiping the Z2 off, with a fresh towel, it did clump up and *apparently* scratched the car. It wasn't the applicator, because I started with a new towel and got no more scratches. I base my assumption from the fact that I spoke to the distributor for about 45 minutes, and the clumpy Z2/ZFX was the only thing we could come up with. No, I didn't call CSI to examine the clumps of stuff, to see if there were tiny crystaline entities inside.
But still, there is not a reason NOT to apply Zaino to the Accord, or any car you want to have looking nice. And by doing it to another car that may not mean as much if you do happen to miss a step, or not turn your cloth enough, or . . . is well worth the time, energy, and product to get a little practice in before applying to the brand new car.

That's just *MY* opinion, I could have an A$$hole that I'm typing with
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #19
Hunter399
Major General
Hunter399's Avatar
175
Rep
7,897
Posts

Drives: F90
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (30)

Zaino is really amazing
I was looking at my dads new Sl500 and my car next to each other today and saw how much deeper the black on my car looked than on his.

He looked and was stunned considering that you could have bought almost 3 325s for the price of the SL..

Great stuff!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 03:59 PM   #20
Jesse Wilson
Lieutenant
6
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: 2006 325I
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tempe, AZ

iTrader: (2)

Did you use to much ZFX or wait to long to apply it?


Jesse
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 05:35 PM   #21
etherbored
klactoveesedstene
etherbored's Avatar
1
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: das gut
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here

iTrader: (0)

campbell -
i know you recommended dupont's teflon tire dressing,
but have you used zaino's tire gloss?
-e-
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #22
teamgomez
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: '04 SMG M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

A (few) years ago, I was waxing the freshly painted hood on my 911S and noticed scratches going down as I was waxing! DAMNED TURTLEWAX, I thought.

Did a very close inspection of my applicator and found 1 tiny, tiny grain of sand embedded in my pad. Who knows how it got there, but it sure did a number on my brand new paint job.

I would offer my pink slip if Zaino scratched anybody's car. It would have to be a quality deficiency of epic proportions to slip thru the cracks versus the odds of an applicator picking up MICRO DEBRIS. For the same reason you toss clay if you drop it, you really must have the same protocol with applicators (they can be washed, tho). A few months ago, I was washing my 5 series and picked up on some micro-marring a la targa hood. Looked at my wash mitt and to my horror/disbelief, there was a metal shaving from my workbench embedded in the mitt....

What is Zaino? It's stuff that makes bird droppings run off the car, makes water bead like oil in vinegar, and lasts and lasts and lasts...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST