E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i clutch master cylinder operation

09-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
alexg
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

335i clutch master cylinder operation

Hi:
My car (2008 3351 coupe) has been developing a slack in the clutch pedal effective travel. The first time it happened I replaced both the slave and master cylinder and got solved for about two weeks or less, and started developing a soft spot of about 1/2 to 1" of pedal travel. No leaks whatsoever, almost brand new BMW original parts installed.

So, it acts like there air in the line, but cannot see where air would come from. I tried to purge it but to no avail. Further symptoms:

1) When pressurizing the master cylinder container, no fluid comes out of the bleeder at the slave cylinder, even totally removing the bleed screw. 25 psi applied. All hoses are free, including the restrictor valve.

2) The old master cylinder, which I still have, does not act as a normal master cylinder, as it does not self prime itself when actuating. It does not suck fluid from the intake, like some valving inside not working.

Has anyone experience similar symptoms? Or does anybody knows how the valving in the master cylinder works? I am quite mechanical informed, but this is a mystery.

Thanks for any help.

AlexG
Appreciate 0