E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335i brake upgrade on N53 e92

12-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #23
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
To be fair the rotors were marked up passenger side and drivers side so I put them on the way the manufacturer specified and seeing as they make brake systems for championship race cars I have all faith in the markings lol.
the rotor vanes are not directional, at least from what one could see from the photos you have posted above so how the slots are wound not make much difference, if any at all.

"For slotted rotors with straight internal cooling vanes, the direction of the slots is totally up to you and what you think looks best. In this case, there is no wrong answer"

you can read more here:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_pro...all_rotors.htm

I have been doing brakes long enough to have to read labels :-) I can tell of the bet just by glimpsing at the rotor
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #24
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
the rotor vanes are not directional, at least from what one could see from the photos you have posted above so how the slots are wound not make much difference, if any at all.

"For slotted rotors with straight internal cooling vanes, the direction of the slots is totally up to you and what you think looks best. In this case, there is no wrong answer"

you can read more here:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/how_to_pro...all_rotors.htm

I have been doing brakes long enough to have to read labels :-) I can tell of the bet just by glimpsing at the rotor
And don't forget BMW performance rotors for the F30 have no left/right they are the same and they are slotted.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 02:56 AM   #25
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

So I finally got off my ass and fitted the 335 rears to my 325 and they work a treat.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #26
Sotek
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 328i xDrive

Looks very nice, how is the rear install compared to the front?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 04:35 PM   #27
Jimmy-F46 M-sport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f46 220d msport, R56 Cooper s

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
So I finally got off my ass and fitted the 335 rears to my 325 and they work a treat.

Very nice mate, I've just bought a full set of 130i brakes for my 120i and most people on Babybmw have said don't bother with the rear calipers due to the handbrake issue but after seeing your set up Im gonna give them a go lol

Can you tell me the dimensions you needed to cut the 185mm shoes down to? It doesn't look much more then 15-20mm
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:19 AM   #28
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotek View Post
Looks very nice, how is the rear install compared to the front?
Everything is straight forward. The shoes are a bit fiddly to change over and you got to modify them too but besides that everything else is straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 03:26 AM   #29
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-120sport View Post
Very nice mate, I've just bought a full set of 130i brakes for my 120i and most people on Babybmw have said don't bother with the rear calipers due to the handbrake issue but after seeing your set up Im gonna give them a go lol

Can you tell me the dimensions you needed to cut the 185mm shoes down to? It doesn't look much more then 15-20mm
I can't remember what the dimension was I did make up a template but I found if you stand the 2 shoes up side by side you can use a pencil or a fine line marker to draw around the radius of the old shoe. That's the best way and you can't go wrong just make sure you take of the brake compound first and it's a lot better to cut with a plasma cutter or burning equipment opposed to a grinder.

I had 9mm from the top of the old shoe to the under side of the new one. You will probably have like you say about 15mm as the 120 discs are smaller than the 325 discs.
Appreciate 0