E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 LCI 330d M Sport Bluewater Build - UPDATED - Suspension Refresh

10-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #45
2real4u
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

You should be able to load new maps without any extra code if lifetime FSC been used before.

If you get any issue to install new maps, let me know and could sent a proper lifetime activation code free of charge.

I had done many Combox retrofits including USB in armrest, bmw apps, Internet, bmw live, office, album art cover. Last Sunday did even snap in media adapter retrofit so video can be play from phone. If iPhone has jailbreake there is also option for phone mirroring on CIC screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 02:55 AM   #46
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Thanks you think that.

Likewise though if you need any help with stuff let me know.

But definitely could be interested in you helping fit an SSD if I go this route. Plus interested to know if it's just coding required as I have full CIC retrofit with DAB and combox etc but don't have internet coming up etc.
No coding required, the SSD is plug and play.

Obviously you will need to copy your current HD over to the new SSD. I used my old PC for this and was fairly simple and straight forward. From memory, I think it took a couple of hours for the copy.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 02:59 AM   #47
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2real4u View Post
You should be able to load new maps without any extra code if lifetime FSC been used before.

If you get any issue to install new maps, let me know and could sent a proper lifetime activation code free of charge.
Thanks very much, I'll let you know...

Quote:
I had done many Combox retrofits including USB in armrest, bmw apps, Internet, bmw live, office, album art cover. Last Sunday did even snap in media adapter retrofit so video can be play from phone. If iPhone has jailbreake there is also option for phone mirroring on CIC screen.
The main reason for me to install a combox is to have Spotify integration (internet, BMW apps & BMW live would be nice as well). I use Spotify a lot and my current setup is via the aux in jack in the armrest plugged in to the headphone socket of my (Android) phone.

What would I need to have retrofitted/coded to enable Spotify integration? I have an old ipod touch that I'm thinking might make life easier?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #48
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_ball View Post
Do you know if the same FSC code is applied to all future map upgrades or do you have to request a new code every time? The reason I ask is I paid for a map upgrade & lifetime FSC code last year from someone off ebay and he now wants money for each map upgrade (he says I only need the map and the FSC codes are free). Thing is, if I can get the maps FOC elsewhere and I've paid for a lifetime FSC code (and it's the same code I've already used) then I don't really want to be paying extra each time I want to upgrade my maps.

I'm also really wanting to do the combox retrofit to my E91 but I'm a bit unsure if I need to do any extra installations or software updates first (it's a 2009 and doesn't have USB in the armrest).

Could you (or someone else) enlighten me please?

Options it has are:

609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
620 VOICE INPUT SYSTEM
633 PREP.MOB. PH. BUSINESS BLUET.INTERF.
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM

VIN is A494084 if that helps.

Thanks
Quote:

No further FSC code needed.

As Simon says, if you bought a lifetime code then you do not require another. I have done two map updates and i did not have to enter the FSC the 2nd time round.

Simon has made a very generous offer to you regarding the FSC. I would recommend him as he helped me out when I was researching and gathering information about the retrofit.

And yes, with the combox you do need a USB in the armrest. I was fortunate as I already had one. Although I believe adding it is not too difficult.

Your CIC firmware also needs to be a later level for it to work with the combox.

You can check via NCS to confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 03:10 AM   #49
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
No further FSC code needed.

As Simon says, if you bought a lifetime code then you do not require another. I have done two map updates and i did not have to enter the FSC the 2nd time round.

Simon has made a very generous offer to you regarding the FSC. I would recommend him as he helped me out when I was researching and gathering information about the retrofit.

And yes, with the combox you do need a USB in the armrest. I was fortunate as I already had one. Although I believe adding it is not too difficult.

Your CIC firmware also needs to be a later level for it to work with the combox.

You can check via NCS to confirm this.
Thanks for the information & apologies for the slight hijack!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #50
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz_ball View Post
Thanks for the information & apologies for the slight hijack!
No worries, let me know if you need any more info
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #51
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
No coding required, the SSD is plug and play.

Obviously you will need to copy your current HD over to the new SSD. I used my old PC for this and was fairly simple and straight forward. From memory, I think it took a couple of hours for the copy.
Cool. Was referring to the coding for the CIC to get all the other functionality you have working. I have combox but don't think I have the internet stuff come up.
      10-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #52
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
Great work! And kudos for the DIY.

I had a Combox installed shortly after I bought my car but have a couple of issues.

Does your phone book partially load the contact list then show .... for a period until the rest update?

Does your internet browser work as mine brings a certification error when trying to navigate away from Google.
Thanks mate.

I'm pretty sure my phone book doesn't do that, it normally takes a few seconds to load the phone book. I'll double check this tomorrow.

What phone are you using? Have you tried a different phone? Or is your combox on the latest software level?

Yes I do get that certificate error on a few websites, I believe it's a know BMW issue. To be honest, I've not really looked into a fix for it as I'm not bothered about it.
If you could check your phone, that would be magic.

I'm using an iPhone; they've all done it from memory. My Combox was updated last February along with the car but the CIC was left on V42 to maintain 6NR.

Any chance you could upload your CIC and Combox trace files?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #53
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_Beach View Post
If you could check your phone, that would be magic.

I'm using an iPhone; they've all done it from memory. My Combox was updated last February along with the car but the CIC was left on V42 to maintain 6NR.

Any chance you could upload your CIC and Combox trace files?
I did check today and it behaved as I mentioned yesterday, works fine.

Have a look in idrive for the combox software, here is the latest update. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1064602

It may have something to do with your CIC firmware version not being the latest. One of the reason I didn't get BMW apps because I didn't want to downgrade to an old firmware version.

The newer firmware levels has improvements and bug fixes which you might be missing on.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #54
2real4u
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

I always update or downgrade CIC to version bmw apps free. I did all CIC firmware versions and in my opinion I don't see anything difference between latest and 6NR unlocked one.
Combox has three firmware versions and here could be an issue for most people. Personally use latest cmediar.c05.

Problem with certificates are common in many websites, doesn't matter which head unit is CIC, NBT or NBT EVO.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:52 PM   #55
E90-AMD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Individual E93 330d

Still patiently waiting on that sound system setup post
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:09 AM   #56
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Lol, will hopefully get round to it soon. I need to writeup my DAB retrofit next.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #57
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I have had a few PM's on the combox retrofit, main question being fitment. Any combox will fit that has BN2000 on the sticker.

BN2010 will NOT fit, they are for F series BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #58
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB
Quote:
Happy to help.

Although a man with your capabilities, I reckon you could fit this no problem!
Thanks you think that.

Likewise though if you need any help with stuff let me know.

But definitely could be interested in you helping fit an SSD if I go this route. Plus interested to know if it's just coding required as I have full CIC retrofit with DAB and combox etc but don't have internet coming up etc.
Internet and bmw online is activated on your car. I know as I fitted one and activated in your car.
You should turn on tethering on your phone, all the cic settings (under bluetooth) to use mobile date, go under bmw connected drive and update the settings.
Once they are updated then you should be able to use bmw online and internet.

Exception is that if you have changed coding on cic or on combox.

Sorry OP, spotter a comment so thought to update him.

Nice car b/w and I have never found a combox as cheap as you found.
      10-11-2016, 07:42 AM   #59
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Sam for the kind comments. Yes I maybe biased but i'm very pleased with the car as it is, it's a very good all rounder.

Also helps that my mods are costing me very little and making a noticeable difference.

I agree about the combox price, just shows that online isn't always the cheapest place and sometimes parts can still be bought from good old fashion breakers yards.
Appreciate 1
makkan00885.50
      10-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #60
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I planning on painting the brake hubs and calipers shortly but currenly undecided on the caliper colour.

Obviously the hubs will be silver but debating caliper colour. Most people go for either silver or black.

Don't want silver as it's too bright for my liking and black is too dark and hidden.

I am thinking of something in the middle like grey. Any opinions?

Something like this;

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #61
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

I bought some grey like that for mine.

Decided against it in the end as it was too boring and went for metallic blue instead.

It's 150ml unopened if you fancy it (well opened to check colour but unused)
      10-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #62
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

How much are you looking for it?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #63
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Quote:
How much are you looking for it?
It was about £20 posted when I bought it so £15 inc postage?

I used the same sized pot for my 335i calipers, gave them all 2 coats, new spring clips about 4 coats and still have 3/4 pot left. It's proper paint too so needs thinners to wash out a brush.
      10-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #64
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll have to give that a miss as I can get it cheaper online.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #65
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
January 2016

Since I bought the car, the front ashtray never closed. I removed it and noticed the mechanism was broke. Tried to repair it but no luck so had to replace. Used ones go for around £30 from eBay.

I thought this was quite expensive. After a bit of googling I found another option was a storage tray.

To me this looked far more useful than the ashtray. Phoned BMW and to my surprise this was only £18! I bought one and when it arrived it I just had to swap the top aluminum cover from the old ashtray.

All looked OK except for the storage tray does not have any illumination. This was soon rectified! I took the harness from the old ashtray which has 2 orange illumination lights and incorporated them into the new tray.

A bit of modification and ended up with this;

Also decided to add a 12v supply as I had to no cigarette lighter. I bought one of these from eBay for a couple of quid;

The wiring was tapped from the 12v supply from the old cigarette socket.

Final result;
You should really post a DIY for the ashtray light.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #66
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks. It's a fairly straight forward mod and I have given as much info as I can/have got.

Anyone looking to do this, any questions, ask and i will happily help

I would recommend it as it is much more useful than the old ash tray with I hardly ever used.
Appreciate 0