E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Heart Rate Monitors

10-14-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Question Heart Rate Monitors

I'm looking for something for running specifically. I want it to measure how far I run, calories burned, track my performance, timer, etc.

I am thinking the Adidas miCoach would be good for me and it seems better than the Nike+ Sportband (mainly because of the coaching function).

Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Anything that guestimates calories will be retarded. Its the least important feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Anything that guestimates calories will be retarded. Its the least important feature.
i would assume, that after putting in your info, it can calculate a semi-accurate amount of calories burned it's better than nothing...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Garmin 110....looks like a watch....you can get it with a heart rate monitor.

Around 250.

I run 30 miles a week and cycle 100 miles a week(when warm out.)

Calories count works and is accurate.

Calories in....Calories out. Its a simple formula and the one most true and telling for weight loss.

Knowing your calories(burned and intake) and owning a scale are the two most important factors in weight control.
      10-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Double Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i Man/CR/Taupe. 5/08/09

Having run over 71,000 miles over the past 34 yrs and having used many (too many hr monitors and GPS watches) I think the Garmin FR 110 will fit the bill for you. As far as calorie expenditure the watch goes a little further than most other models. It factors age/height/weight and activity level. (There is a chart that shows your activity level based on the number of hours you exercise a week). Having averaged between 40-50 miles of running per week for over 3 decades, weight gain has not been an issue. 5'10' 145-150 lbs, age 67. My motto: Exercise for fitness:EAT foor diet. Nick
      10-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
Garmin 110....looks like a watch....you can get it with a heart rate monitor.

Around 250.

I run 30 miles a week and cycle 100 miles a week(when warm out.)

Calories count works and is accurate.

Calories in....Calories out. Its a simple formula and the one most true and telling for weight loss.

Knowing your calories(burned and intake) and owning a scale are the two most important factors in weight control.
thanks. i actually tried out a couple of these hrms but they're too pricey for me. i tried out the nike+ sportband (it's only $60) and it seems like it is comparable to the garmin, any opinion on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nick View Post
Having run over 71,000 miles over the past 34 yrs and having used many (too many hr monitors and GPS watches) I think the Garmin FR 110 will fit the bill for you. As far as calorie expenditure the watch goes a little further than most other models. It factors age/height/weight and activity level. (There is a chart that shows your activity level based on the number of hours you exercise a week). Having averaged between 40-50 miles of running per week for over 3 decades, weight gain has not been an issue. 5'10' 145-150 lbs, age 67. My motto: Exercise for fitness:EAT foor diet. Nick
wow, that's really impressive! but the garmin is out of my price range, i'm trying to keep it under $100 maybe if i get really serious about running i'll invest in a watch hrm like the garmin or something comparable to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Im a season cyclist and most folks I see uses Polar and will cost you about $100 at most sports stores like REI. It measures Ave HR, set target range, Calories burn.
Chest transmitter normally is good for 3 yrs with every day use. New model chest transmitter can last forever since it has a removable battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
Im a season cyclist and most folks I see uses Polar and will cost you about $100 at most sports stores like REI. It measures Ave HR, set target range, Calories burn.
Chest transmitter normally is good for 3 yrs with every day use. New model chest transmitter can last forever since it has a removable battery.
i'm gonna try out some of these fitness apps on my iPhone that can measure speed, distance, and calories burned just to see how i like it. the apps use the iPhone's gps and are supposedly pretty accurate and they're free.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

I'm glad i stumbled upon this thread, my coach told me to go pick up a HRM, which after reading this thread led me to search for a used 110. Luckily I found a killer deal on one w/ HRM for $120.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I have a Garmin 305 and it is awesome. It records GPS data as well as heart rate, so you can map out your routes. You can use it with Google Earth. You upload the info from the watch via USB and can track your progress over time. If you get the foot pod sensor you can measure distance even if you're on a treadmill. You can also get a sensor for your bike, too. It can do pretty much everything.
Appreciate 0