E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 335i Project

03-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

My 335i Project

Well I've finally bit the bullet and opted to do some visual and the odd mechanical tweak to my 335i.

Currently she's standard looking

Stuff I've already done consists of black kidneys from the BMW Performance range

and a set of black roundels (wheel ones still in their boxes at the moment)

Performance wise already done a re map courtesy of Simon from E Maps, who done a as usual excellent job plus he catered for my other performance mod namely the VRSF catless downpipe fitment

with the usual oxygen sensor delete to stop the 29F code from ever appearing again.

The other performance or shall I say correct preventive mod I've done is to bit one of Rob Becks PCV valves and one of these

a BMS catch can. As I've suffered this problem

namely oil in the tailpipes which quickly transpired in to turbo failure(and smoke very shortly afterwards) the catch can PCV valve were added at the same time as the turbo install. If you've gotta 335 these items are well worth investing in.

So to where I am. Currently a standard 335i SE I've already got a Sport rear bumper and a BMW performance defuser currently being painted, a pair of 4" Cyba tips purchased from gaza01 on here

Exterior wise looking for a decent ideas re front bumper (with PDC holes) and side skirts wheels well looking at another set of 19"s quite like the look of the staggered set of ISR10's in matt graphite from Ispiri along with the front bumper under development from Chris at CMW and may well see where that leads me over the next few weeks. Oh and I'm gonna look very carefully at Josh's awesome headlights....

But for now done and finished one interior mod photos weather permitting tomorrow.

Performance wise looking for an intercooler / induction kit. Guys on the mods please feed me with ideas known products eBay finds if you know of any...

Let the modding commence

Thanks as always for reading

Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
E92NeilH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 M135i

Garage List
Looks really smart mate love that colour great mods so far
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Looking good...just be prepared to empty your bank account

Personally I wouldn't bother with induction kit, I've got the AFE sealed one, as far as I can tell it makes no difference......otherwise there's the Birds suspension kit, antiroll bars, LSDs, brake upgrades to look into. Once you start it doesn't stop
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

Personally I wouldn't bother with induction kit, I've got the AFE sealed one, as far as I can tell it makes no difference......otherwise there's the Birds suspension kit, antiroll bars, LSDs, brake upgrades to look into. Once you start it doesn't stop
interesting what you say re induction kit mines got a K&N panel on it at present but you're right re suspension one thing that on the chassis front is going higher up my list of chassis options than say the LSD option, epic though it is but the Birds outfit for instance is supposed to transform the car even if driven normally therefore I think this is worthy of looking at very very carefully as one of the must haves re chassis

But as you say it's spend spend spend
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Looks smart mate liking that 1st pic alot!
      03-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #6
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Car looks awesome!

What colour is it

Bluewater or Arctic?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
AXS-7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A van

I like the tweaks. Keep us updated on the progress
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Car looks awesome!

What colour is it

Bluewater or Arctic?
errr Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Looks smart mate liking that 1st pic alot!
ta you do realise that this modding larks all your fault

I'll do things bit by bit the rears sorted with the bumper window tints going in start of April those bloody horrible Ali window trims are being done at the same time as the tints.

Really fining it hard to locate a decent pre LCI front Sport bumper with PDC's as I'd like to go this route rather than do what you've done with the SE bumper but I'm not ruling it out just think the Sport bumper looks a wee bit more aggressive that's all. The other bumper that looks like it requires some further thought as said earlier is the kit Chris is compiling at CMW Wheels.... but it's all down to various things I guess I'm OK with the aftermarket providing it looks feels and fits right if it doesn't then I usually back away but the CMW front bumper for instance looks really good doesn't it. I've sent a PM to Chris re wheels etc. just waiting for a reply.

Regarding the side skirts you've got M 3 spec ones from MStyle have you? I will probably go this route TBH as it a least looks sweet and factory, fit'n'finsh for me though is key and if they don't look / fit right that's a turn off but the body shop I use is shit hot and the owners a friend so know the end result will be OK.

I'd love some thought opinions insight from those who've fettle with their E92'ssome pics wouldn't go amiss too so that I can carefully study who's done what if you follow me.

One mod that's all done and awaiting fitting is my painted interior trims, been done in a satin dark grey looks shall we say different
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #10
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Looking great so far mate.
      03-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Josh1a1h
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AzuriteBlack 335i E92

Wahay! This is a great start! I cannot see it stopping any time soon!

I look forward to seeing your intake valves blasted and looking shiny again Then you can do mine hahahah

Those blue tips are sexy as! Looking forward to seeing the progress mate!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
ta you do realise that this modding larks all your fault

I'll do things bit by bit the rears sorted with the bumper window tints going in start of April those bloody horrible Ali window trims are being done at the same time as the tints.

Really fining it hard to locate a decent pre LCI front Sport bumper with PDC's as I'd like to go this route rather than do what you've done with the SE bumper but I'm not ruling it out just think the Sport bumper looks a wee bit more aggressive that's all. The other bumper that looks like it requires some further thought as said earlier is the kit Chris is compiling at CMW Wheels.... but it's all down to various things I guess I'm OK with the aftermarket providing it looks feels and fits right if it doesn't then I usually back away but the CMW front bumper for instance looks really good doesn't it. I've sent a PM to Chris re wheels etc. just waiting for a reply.

Regarding the side skirts you've got M 3 spec ones from MStyle have you? I will probably go this route TBH as it a least looks sweet and factory, fit'n'finsh for me though is key and if they don't look / fit right that's a turn off but the body shop I use is shit hot and the owners a friend so know the end result will be OK.

I'd love some thought opinions insight from those who've fettle with their E92'ssome pics wouldn't go amiss too so that I can carefully study who's done what if you follow me.

One mod that's all done and awaiting fitting is my painted interior trims, been done in a satin dark grey looks shall we say different
We all started with this feeling. I blame Sumil (P 5UML) haha. But I'm glad I got into it. I've met some good people along the way and made a good circle of friends so just embrace it and do it till your heart's content

I agree the M Sport does look wee bit more aggressive and if that's your thing then go for it buddy! I only decided on an SE one moulded because it was never done AFAIK in the UK so had to put it down on the map haha. For you however an Msport bumper with the option of doing a front lip in the future is a no brainer! CMW kit looks sweet and hits the mark so you are spoiled for choice

I bought my M3 rep side skirts from ppcgb.co.uk and had them painted and fitted by Dips Custom Cars who has also had the pleasure of doing just about everything else you see. Although Josh procured his M3 sides from MStyle so he may be able to help point you in the right direction. Both mine and josh's fit literally spot on. You'd be hard pushed to tell its non OEM!

This is sounding Hot, I'm game and fully subscribed![

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1a1h View Post
Wahay! This is a great start! I cannot see it stopping any time soon!

I look forward to seeing your intake valves blasted and looking shiny again Then you can do mine hahahah

Those blue tips are sexy as! Looking forward to seeing the progress mate!
Steve, if there's one thing you'd do to the outside..please get your lights done! Can't explain how good they look!
      03-23-2014, 02:17 AM   #13
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve
Quote:

interesting what you say re induction kit mines got a K&N panel on it at present but you're right re suspension one thing that on the chassis front is going higher up my list of chassis options than say the LSD option, epic though it is but the Birds outfit for instance is supposed to transform the car even if driven normally therefore I think this is worthy of looking at very very carefully as one of the must haves re chassis

But as you say it's spend spend spend
Once your start modding there really is no going back I've pretty much finished with my car, probably in total have spent £7k over the last 3 years, which is
£2.5k per year roughly so according up my man maths not that much, but pretty much all the mods have been mechanical so from the outside still looks like a 320d

I would really recommend the Birds suspension kit followed by LSD. Theses are the two mods that have really transformed my enjoyment of the car. I also had M3 subframe bushes fitted which I think was a bit pointless, all that's done is made the ride at the back really firm.

Have fun modding
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:55 AM   #14
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Once your start modding there really is no going back I've pretty much finished with my car, probably in total have spent £7k over the last 3 years, which is
£2.5k per year roughly so according up my man maths not that much, but pretty much all the mods have been mechanical so from the outside still looks like a 320d

I would really recommend the Birds suspension kit followed by LSD. Theses are the two mods that have really transformed my enjoyment of the car. I also had M3 subframe bushes fitted which I think was a bit pointless, all that's done is made the ride at the back really firm.

Have fun modding
Oh trust me if this is works like my old 330d then I will enjoy it

As for the suspension thing personally it's in my mind everyone who's had the mod gives it 5 stars so yep may well be on the agenda, I don't drive my car that hard to be honest, but we all know connecting the car to the Tarmac in the UK is compromised by our poor road/poorish suspension setup for our roads, though I ditched RFL's with 10 days of owning the car for Conti Sport Contact 5's so am kind of in tune with the direction needed to make things better. The LSD gets votes but for me £'s v be idiot to me the jury's out.

Your spending pattern makes sense roughly where I was with the 330d which is acceptable considering the end result, the pleasure and the fact that potentially you may be driving a one off gives you.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #15
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
We all started with this feeling. I blame Sumil (P 5UML) haha. But I'm glad I got into it. I've met some good people along the way and made a good circle of friends so just embrace it and do it till your heart's content

I agree the M Sport does look wee bit more aggressive

Steve, if there's one thing you'd do to the outside..please get your lights done! Can't explain how good they look!
Yep, you're right Sam, the Sport bumper has a tad more aggression that the knockout job you've achieved with the SE smooth look, as you know I've done the smoothing thing before (I was the first over here as far as I know do smooth out the club sport splitters in to the front of my old E46 330d and everyone thought I was mad barking mad to buy a stick on CSL rear spoiler and have it grafted in to the factory boot lid, but I did and know if was the first to do this over hear and from what I gather when I posted on e46fanatics elsewhere too)

Sunil's car from the photos I've seem of it looks soooo clean, having had a good nose around Josh's car the other Sunday this really got me in the mood hence all this and your right headlights will be done already chatted to him re getting these done being Space Grey do I do the black out effect or having seen another Space Grey E92 on his site do I do the body coloured thing behind the lenses
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #16
whateva411
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 430d MSport EB

Was it straight forwards to fit the oil catch can?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #17
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateva411 View Post
Was it straight forwards to fit the oil catch can?
In a word yes, a tad fiddley but not too hard...

http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.htm.

Loads of install guides on the top of the page somewhere in their is the catch can
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #18
whateva411
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 430d MSport EB

Quote:
In a word yes, a tad fiddley but not too hard...

http://www.burgertuning.com/terms.htm.

Loads of install guides on the top of the page somewhere in their is the catch can
Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:

So to where I am. Currently a standard 335i SE I've already got a Sport rear bumper and a BMW performance defuser currently being painted, a pair of 4" Cyba tips purchased from gaza01 on here

Let the modding commence

Thanks as always for reading

Steve
Those tips look very familiar, I recall seeing them before...... ahh yes

I'll be interested to see how your car develops

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #20
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Very little done as such today but take a look at these satin grey interior trims

oh and the black steering wheel badge went on

its so so difficult to get an idea just how different they look with a camera but I really like them they blend in well with the door trims as I hope you can see, will also change the SE headliner for a black headliner too as it'll look a wee bit odd

Last edited by old grey steve; 03-23-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #21
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Steve is that the Titan Shadow trim out of an m3?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Steve is that the Titan Shadow trim out of an m3?
Nop bog standard E92 brushed ally my fried and I hate it
Appreciate 0