E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

12-13-2017, 10:16 PM   #45
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearersky View Post
So im working on my install video and I've cut my dash with a razor blade. Im thinking ill have to use my dremel to cut through the hard plastic in the dash but im looking for ideas. I don't want to use a cutting wheel cause then those things break they have a tendency to shoot out like a bullet and i don't want to mess up anything else in the car.
Just use the dremel. If you try to keep the cutting wheel straight and not put any lateral pressure on the sides of the wheel it shouldn't break.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #46
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 x drive msport

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
I'm looking forward to seeing reviews on this! I'm really debating on doing this
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 03:19 AM   #47
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie731 View Post
Just a week in update on the Avin unit It does not come with any instructions on how to set it up (install instructions only) If your challenged in the Android world you can get a little nuts but i found as soon as you learn where to set date/ time/ and time zone the set up moves along That is the key. I used my phones wi-fi hot spot to set up my google account(this is key also) Now i'm just using Android Auto on bluetooth for my music, and Waze maps

Any secret getting Android auto to work??

Btw I made it through the install which wasn't too bad minus the cutting of the dash which was a pita. The rest was relatively easy. Bad news is that my camera went dead about half way through so I don't have the second half of the footage. I have to work these next 3 days but I plan on finishing the video after that. And a review in a week or two after I see how I like it
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #48
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie731 View Post
Just a week in update on the Avin unit It does not come with any instructions on how to set it up (install instructions only) If your challenged in the Android world you can get a little nuts but i found as soon as you learn where to set date/ time/ and time zone the set up moves along That is the key. I used my phones wi-fi hot spot to set up my google account(this is key also) Now i'm just using Android Auto on bluetooth for my music, and Waze maps

Any secret getting Android auto to work??

Btw I made it through the install which wasn't too bad minus the cutting of the dash which was a pita. The rest was relatively easy. Bad news is that my camera went dead about half way through so I don't have the second half of the footage. I have to work these next 3 days but I plan on finishing the video after that. And a review in a week or two after I see how I like it
How much wiring and wiring and everything has to be installed? I found a lack of info on their website and was rather confused about it all
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #49
aclearersky
Private
Rep

The actual wiring is simple. The install would take about 10 minutes if it wasn't for the cutting of the dash. I have most the pics for a write up just finished last night installing at 230am and have to work 12 hours a day the next three days.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #50
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

i found the manufacturer for this product. They sell it for about $100 less than avin. I don't know what value avin is adding.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #51
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTMOODY View Post
i found the manufacturer for this product. They sell it for about $100 less than avin. I don't know what value avin is adding.
So who are they? Where can we find them?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #52
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Does it have the bmw styled UI cause if that's so I would be interested in it providing it has close to the same features!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #53
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post

This is the manufacturer. I believe his info is in the comments somewhere. Also, you get the idrive controller for free with them which is another additional savings from AVIN. Again, I don't know the value that AVIN is adding to their units but it may be little to none. Also, my friend bought from AVIN for his E39. Aside from dying almost immediately after the 1 year warranty he paid over $300 to have it repaired and it came back broken. I'd buy from the manufacturer on this.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd5996.50
lab_rat394.50
      12-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #54
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post

This is the manufacturer. I believe his info is in the comments somewhere. Also, you get the idrive controller for free with them which is another additional savings from AVIN. Again, I don't know the value that AVIN is adding to their units but it may be little to none. Also, my friend bought from AVIN for his E39. Aside from dying almost immediately after the 1 year warranty he paid over $300 to have it repaired and it came back broken. I'd buy from the manufacturer on this.
Seems like it's just his Facebook page is the only link, does that sound correct? Seems slightly sketchy if it's purchasing through Facebook, either way I'm going to contact him to get a feel for it and see what the deal is
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #55
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenault View Post
Seems like it's just his Facebook page is the only link, does that sound correct? Seems slightly sketchy if it's purchasing through Facebook, either way I'm going to contact him to get a feel for it and see what the deal is
I came upon his phone number somehow. They also have a site. Just buy through paypal if youre worried.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 05:49 AM   #56
aclearersky
Private
Rep

So I've had this installed for about a week now. Ill be pulling it apart again to install the backup cam i ordered after the fact to finish the install video. Ill prolly do a review video as well. It looks amazing.

Couple of issues I've noticed so far:
1. Audio quality from streaming over bluetooth sounds terrible vs stock. I got around this by installing spotify directly to the device and running it from the unit itself using my phone as a wifi hotspot.
2. The guide thats included to cut the dash doesn't leave much room for error. I have a small spot on the bottom left that is cut further down then the units trim covers.
3. I dont think the dimming function is working, if there is one. Seems like I have to adjust the brightness of the display frequently
4. The idrive controller they included feels somewhat cheap. It actually does work very well in their system. Only issue is it doesn't work at all on the android side for scrolling so you have to use the touchscreen.
5. Audio quality is not as good as stock
6. The screen mirroring for android is slow and it cuts about an inch off of the screen on both sides.
7. Unable to install android auto without their cable
8. Cannot install jb4 to device due to older bluetooth chip in device
9. SD card spot is a terrible location and hard to get to

The good things though are:
1. The display looks beautiful
2. Looks great in the car
3. You can install any android app that supports android 4.4.4 directly to the device
4. Touch screen is extremely responsive.
5. Haven't had any issues in terms of freezing and such.
6. Frequent updates from avinusa (must email them directly to get them, im assuming to avoid clones like the one posted above from stealing their software)
7. Boot time is only about 10 seconds
8. Several different skins for the device to change the looks
9. Able to play music from sd card or usb device.
10. Their support has been very responsive. Typically get a reply in a few hours around 24 hours at the most.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:13 AM   #57
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Wow I saw that video couple months ago and glad I came to this post. I have a 2012 328i 6mt with idrive and if I buy this is it a simple plug and play with no modification/coding?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 03:21 AM   #58
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
So I've had this installed for about a week now. Ill be pulling it apart again to install the backup cam i ordered after the fact to finish the install video. Ill prolly do a review video as well. It looks amazing.

Couple of issues I've noticed so far:
1. Audio quality from streaming over bluetooth sounds terrible vs stock. I got around this by installing spotify directly to the device and running it from the unit itself using my phone as a wifi hotspot.
2. The guide thats included to cut the dash doesn't leave much room for error. I have a small spot on the bottom left that is cut further down then the units trim covers.
3. I dont think the dimming function is working, if there is one. Seems like I have to adjust the brightness of the display frequently
4. The idrive controller they included feels somewhat cheap. It actually does work very well in their system. Only issue is it doesn't work at all on the android side for scrolling so you have to use the touchscreen.
5. Audio quality is not as good as stock
6. The screen mirroring for android is slow and it cuts about an inch off of the screen on both sides.
7. Unable to install android auto without their cable
8. Cannot install jb4 to device due to older bluetooth chip in device
9. SD card spot is a terrible location and hard to get to

The good things though are:
1. The display looks beautiful
2. Looks great in the car
3. You can install any android app that supports android 4.4.4 directly to the device
4. Touch screen is extremely responsive.
5. Haven't had any issues in terms of freezing and such.
6. Frequent updates from avinusa (must email them directly to get them, im assuming to avoid clones like the one posted above from stealing their software)
7. Boot time is only about 10 seconds
8. Several different skins for the device to change the looks
9. Able to play music from sd card or usb device.
10. Their support has been very responsive. Typically get a reply in a few hours around 24 hours at the most.
Does the back-up camera support dynamic parking lines? I'd really like to know!
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 12:41 AM   #59
08TUNDRA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
Does the back-up camera support dynamic parking lines? I'd really like to know!
yes it does!
      01-11-2018, 12:45 AM   #60
08TUNDRA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

Im getting a lot of white noise in the background when i turn up the volume. I have Logic 7 and noticed this before with aux. Any ideas on how to fix this? another thing I noticed is there is an audio out wire coming from the unit I don't have mine plugged in and it still works, all I need is for the radio to be set to aux.
      01-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #61
aclearersky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickkim1 View Post
Wow I saw that video couple months ago and glad I came to this post. I have a 2012 328i 6mt with idrive and if I buy this is it a simple plug and play with no modification/coding?
If your car doesn't have Bluetooth audio streaming I cant recommend this unit. It sounds like crap compared to stock. But it is plug and play .
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #62
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If your car doesn't have Bluetooth audio streaming I cant recommend this unit. It sounds like crap compared to stock. But it is plug and play .
I asked AVIN if I can use bluetooth streaming instead of aux and the answer was no.
I wish I could because I heard aux is low-fi bottleneck of the system.

aclearersky
What made you say you'd recommend it with bluetooth streaming?
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #63
aclearersky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
I asked AVIN if I can use bluetooth streaming instead of aux and the answer was no.
I wish I could because I heard aux is low-fi bottleneck of the system.

aclearersky
What made you say you'd recommend it with bluetooth streaming?
Based on what I've read on the f30 avin post is that if your car is equipt with the enhanced Bluetooth you can play audio though oem Bluetooth and bypass the display for anything other then being a display. But the aux isn't the issue because if I plug my phone directly into the aux port of the car the audio quality is great. It's the audio quality from the unit itself that sucks. I'm trying to figure out how to improve this but funny enough avin doesn't respond to emails when you ask questions about what seems to be known issues ie Bluetooth music quality sucking.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #64
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

It's unfortunate about the sound quality with this unit. Is this only with cars that have logic 7? The UI and the fitment looks good but none of that matters if the sound quality is really that bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:48 AM   #65
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Based on what I've read on the f30 avin post is that if your car is equipt with the enhanced Bluetooth you can play audio though oem Bluetooth and bypass the display for anything other then being a display. But the aux isn't the issue because if I plug my phone directly into the aux port of the car the audio quality is great. It's the audio quality from the unit itself that sucks. I'm trying to figure out how to improve this but funny enough avin doesn't respond to emails when you ask questions about what seems to be known issues ie Bluetooth music quality sucking.
Well if the issue is with the cheap on-board sound card, why don't we just hook up a DAC like this one? LINK
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2018, 05:49 AM   #66
kaitzi
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe

So from my understanding using Spotify directly from the unit causes poor sound quality? Does the steering wheel buttons work with the apps?
Appreciate 0