E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Custom i-drive dash?

06-24-2018, 04:08 AM   #1
ap0ll016
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Custom i-drive dash?

What's up everyone? So I have an 08 e92 335i without the i-drive dash. I have this idea I want to run by the amazing people of the Internet.

If I buy an I-drive dash, I want to use that hole that would be in it to mount a tablet. This tablet would be used with all the JB4/MHD gauges. It'd be completely flush, I'd figure out a way to run the power cable so it isn't visible.

I want some legitimate opinions here, be a devils advocate if you must. But I also don't want "no that's stupid". I want to figure out how to make this work, and work right. Not just give up. I know there's some replacement head units out there that have apps for the gauges, I don't want that. And personally I HATE seeing a tablet or phone with a tacky looking mount hanging from the dash or windshield.

Cool thing is, it's a tablet, so I could even run GPS, Video, Audio, whatever I want from it. Hit me with your ideas and stuff!
      06-24-2018, 05:56 AM   #2
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Why do you want to go to the extreme effort to change dashes when there are already units ready to swap with your stock radio unit running Android 7 that will integrate properly with your car?

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
ap0ll016
Private
Rep

Like I said, I just don't want that. I haven't fully ruled it out but from what I've read, it's a pretty big hassle to do, and you can lose some of the stock features. And I really don't want to wire the stock unit up in the trunk. It's not that much of an extreme effort, literally just swapping the dash, running a single wire for power/connection to JB4. Putting some sort of backing to the tablet and boom done. Yea it'd take some time for test fitting the tablet but it's not like it's this super hard thing to do ya know? And worst case, I take the dash off, sell it, and no harm no foul. Dashes are super cheap anyway
      06-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
You really think a plug and play unit is more hassle than disassembling your whole dash? The reading and watching I’ve done suggests installing one of these units is anything but a “big hassle”.

What sort of tablet are you looking at to fit in the iDrive cubby? The iDrive display is super wide and short, I can’t think of a tablet that would fit in there that wouldn’t look silly. Have you got a link to what you’re thinking?

In any event, it sounds like you’ve made up your mind so not really sure what you’re looking to get out of this thread.
Appreciate 2
      06-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
ap0ll016
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
You really think a plug and play unit is more hassle than disassembling your whole dash? The reading and watching I’ve done suggests installing one of these units is anything but a “big

What sort of tablet are you looking at to fit in the iDrive cubby? The iDrive display is super wide and short, I can’t think of a tablet that would fit in there that wouldn’t look silly. Have you got a link to what you’re thinking?

In any event, it sounds like you’ve made up your mind so not really sure what you’re looking to get out of this thread.
Woah ok, let's take a step back here. First, if you read and watch a little more, you lose a lot of stock features when adding aftermarket units. One small, but noticeable one is the stock chime when opening the door. You may not care, but I do. Also, BMW will not be able to provide updates to the car unless the stock unit is present. Read and watch a little further, and you'll see that people are wiring up their stock unit into the trunk to retain this. Not my cup of tea.

Second, I have not been able to test fit any tablets. I'm out of the country at the moment and can't access a dash or tablet to see. I was thinking a simple 8" tablet. Yes, I know there'd be space left over. I was planning on doing some type of backing to it to cover the space up, which would also hold the tablet in place and cover the wiring. It wouldn't need to be perfect as the shadow from the dash would hide all but the brightness of the screen.

Finally, my mind is not made up. Isn't this what forums are for? To ask questions, get answers, and a bit of Devils advocacy as you're clearly demonstrating? I'm not trying to harshly come at you here, either. I'm strictly answering your questions. This wasn't meant to start an argument and that's the last thing I want. I'm no expert, I do the same thing, watch and read. And I do it a lot. But hey, you may have a point and I'll be sure to take that into consideration
      06-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
ap0ll016
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap0ll016 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
You really think a plug and play unit is more hassle than disassembling your whole dash? The reading and watching I've done suggests installing one of these units is anything but a "big

What sort of tablet are you looking at to fit in the iDrive cubby? The iDrive display is super wide and short, I can't think of a tablet that would fit in there that wouldn't look silly. Have you got a link to what you're thinking?

In any event, it sounds like you've made up your mind so not really sure what you're looking to get out of this thread.
Woah ok, let's take a step back here. First, if you read and watch a little more, you lose a lot of stock features when adding aftermarket units. One small, but noticeable one is the stock chime when opening the door. You may not care, but I do. Also, BMW will not be able to provide updates to the car unless the stock unit is present. Read and watch a little further, and you'll see that people are wiring up their stock unit into the trunk to retain this. Not my cup of tea.

Second, I have not been able to test fit any tablets. I'm out of the country at the moment and can't access a dash or tablet to see. I was thinking a simple 8" tablet. Yes, I know there'd be space left over. I was planning on doing some type of backing to it to cover the space up, which would also hold the tablet in place and cover the wiring. It wouldn't need to be perfect as the shadow from the dash would hide all but the brightness of the screen.

Finally, my mind is not made up. Isn't this what forums are for? To ask questions, get answers, and a bit of Devils advocacy as you're clearly demonstrating? I'm not trying to harshly come at you here, either. I'm strictly answering your questions. This wasn't meant to start an argument and that's the last thing I want. I'm no expert, I do the same thing, watch and read. And I do it a lot. But hey, you may have a point and I'll be sure to take that into consideration
So after I took a step back too, I watched that video. I actually love that unit and up until a week or two ago, it's what I wanted. Im just trying to be a bit different, and hey if I get enough "no you're stupid don't do that" well then I'm probably stupid and won't do it. And I'll just stick with the replacement head unit lol
      06-24-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

I'll just provide my opinion on it since my current project is at this point.

I too don't want to lose stock functionality, and I too want a pure Android experience.

I'm planning on doing a dash-top mount. I'm going with a 7inch lcd display, that connects to an android box (see my post here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502142 )

I know so many people use this setup of in-dash install and there are quite few units for e90 with perfect or near perfect matching facia. But no one ever thought of doing a top dash mount!

To me, the placement of these units is way too low, might as well stick my phone in the sunglass tray and call it a day.
Dash swap is not cheap nor it is that of an easy job.
Not to mention that I don't want the screen to be inside of a cave

I know you mentioned making the cavity flat and mount your tablet. But if you go that route of still needing to modify the dash, why not a custom mount?
Also consider that any device with battery left in the car; might risk fire.

I'm in contact with a local carpenter to do the custom mount. And I'll post my results on that thread.

I just wish I knew somone with a 3D printer here in Calgary, Alberta and do this project with their help.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
ap0ll016
Private
Rep

@gamesfrager thanks for your input. So I'll be honest, I didn't think of the battery comment. And being that I personally have seen about 100 lithium batteries explode in the past month, you bring up a good point..

Back to the custom part. I would still retain that "cave" lol. I'd just put a back on it basically. Just use those holes that are already on it and screw in some plastic backing. It'd be a little more in depth but you get the point.

I've just read soooooo many negative things about the android OS for these cars. The company that makes them isn't revising their old products, they just randomly come out with new ones. Shit they JUST came out with an Android 8 one.... people are pissed because they aren't fixing old problems, they're forcing you to buy a whole new unit each time. And these aren't small problems.

Idk. I talked to my best friend today about it, and honestly we may just hold off. He made a good point. "Why make so much work for a custom setup, just to have a custom setup" or something like that. He has a good point... maybe in a few years there will be better options.

I'll be sure to subscribe to your thread though, I'll be stoked to see how it turns out!
      06-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Exactly, most of those vendors don't care about after sale.
And most of them run a very outdated Android version.

For me, being able to swap the Android box with a newer one is a big plus.
Also I won't need to swap or modify my setup because I need a new Android tablet.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
ap0ll016
Private
Rep

I've also read about 10:1 negative to positive reviews on them. Yea there's potential, but it just seems the technology and funding isn't there yet.

Whatever though, I'll find something or figure something out. Good luck with yours! Who knows maybe I'll go that route
      06-28-2018, 12:52 AM   #11
alfazrus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

perhaps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:31 AM   #12
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfazrus View Post
perhaps
Yep, seen it before. And there is a whole thread about it here.
Same deal, people have issues with it. Not to mention the big elephent in the room...you need to cut the dash! And for me, that's a big no.

I might do the 3D printed mount, just gathering resources right now.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2018, 06:04 AM   #13
xxirish83x
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

One thing that comes to mind.... I drive a 2011 e92 w I drive. That screen is far in terms of ease of use! Without the center dial down by the gear shifter this seems like it’s going to be a pain in the ass. Do you plan on constantly interacting with it using your hands?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
gamesfrager
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxirish83x View Post
One thing that comes to mind.... I drive a 2011 e92 w I drive. That screen is far in terms of ease of use! Without the center dial down by the gear shifter this seems like it’s going to be a pain in the ass. Do you plan on constantly interacting with it using your hands?
Solution is here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1502142
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #15
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I love your idea. It would really be slick if it looked OEM. I think somebody had done this with a Juan-series although the dashes may be the same between non-idrive and idrive 1ers since they don't have the hump. I say go for it.
Appreciate 0