E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Head Unit Replacement

04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
izzyswift
Rep
Drives: 2008 323i

E90 Head Unit Replacement

I jave just recently purchased an 08 323i. I would like to upgrade the stereo and I have made the decision to change the head unit. After reading quite a few posts, it sounds like the best thing to do is to mount the existing head unit in the trunk. I pretty much have a base model, no NAV, Bluetooth, idirve, all that. Are there any other problems other than the steering wheel buttons not working? Also, I would like to see pictures of a head unit mounted in the trunk if anyone has some. I can get a great deal on the equipment but it means nothing if I am just going to have problems installing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

read entry 11 of the following link +

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

visit the sub links at entry 11 also do a search for head unit on the board to find more examples.
Also study the entire first link .
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
As some one who did this it's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

You need to choose a dash kit, there are several out there for single din and double din.

Next you have to get 12V constant off the battery ... I couldn't find a fuse with real 12V constant. You will have to run a wire to the trunk where the battery is, so while you're doing that run 2 more to mount the stock HU in the truck, and since you're doing that run another 2 if you want to retain your door chimes. So 5 wires total to the trunk. At minimum you need 3 though. Power, CAN + and CAN - I personally like having no chimes.

To retain the steering wheel controls you'll need the correct PAC control for your HU. You'll need 2 boxes from PAC and they run about $50 for both. Might be slightly cheaper on amazon.

The hardest part is wiring all the different systems together. The Aftermarket HU, Steering Wheel controls and wires for the stock HU. After you have that wiring mess sorted out installing it is pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
As some one who did this it's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

You need to choose a dash kit, there are several out there for single din and double din.

Next you have to get 12V constant off the battery ... I couldn't find a fuse with real 12V constant. You will have to run a wire to the trunk where the battery is, so while you're doing that run 2 more to mount the stock HU in the truck, and since you're doing that run another 2 if you want to retain your door chimes. So 5 wires total to the trunk. At minimum you need 3 though. Power, CAN + and CAN - I personally like having no chimes.

To retain the steering wheel controls you'll need the correct PAC control for your HU. You'll need 2 boxes from PAC and they run about $50 for both. Might be slightly cheaper on amazon.

The hardest part is wiring all the different systems together. The Aftermarket HU, Steering Wheel controls and wires for the stock HU. After you have that wiring mess sorted out installing it is pretty simple.
Pics?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Do a search I posted pics a week ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
adjulbic
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 323i

Izzy;

Any luck? I'm actually in the exact same boat. Bought a 2008 BMW 323i, with standard Professional Deck. Looking to install just an aftermarket HU (not looking to integrate the steering controls).

Mosx;

I bought the BHA9003 wiring harness off of BestKits/Crutchfield. Can you tell me if that will work? What else do I need to get? Ugh why does BMW have to make this so difficult! It was a breeze on my VW lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
izzyswift
Rep

I got 2 RE Audio SEX10W4, 3000W RE Audio Mono Amp. Sealed Box, Wire harness, antena adapter, and a dash kit. I also got a new head unit with a 7" flip out screen. I am installing all of it tomorrow in my 08 E90 323i. The stock system just was not matching up to what I like in system. I was originally going to just add a 10" in the back and be done. Needless to say, I went a little overboard. I will post somethign up after its done. You can buy everything you want @ sonicelectronix.com. Their shipping is free in the US and I believe the is some sort of "what will fit you car program". once you see what will fit, read the reviews and see what you like or what has worked for other people.

The post above helped me out quite a bit. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is finding somewhere in the trunk to put the original head unit. I don't think it will be too bad, but time will tell. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
adjulbic
Rep

Hey Izzy;

That's amazing.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Can you tell me which wiring harness you used? (a link would be awesome)

I'm planning on putting in my JVC single din deck and I'm planning on putting up my 10" sub and amp in the trunk.

If you could let me know how you plan on routing your cables from your HU to the trunk, I'm all ears.

Thanks a ton man, truly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
izzyswift
Rep

OK Boys,

I never got around to taking pictures right away but here are some of the final product. Once I took the original head unit out, I started the car and everything worked fine. I never bothered putting it in the trunk or anything. I have been driving the car for over a week now, and I can't really see why I need to have it installed. The factory speakers (four 4" speakers) seem to keep up quite well with the volume. I will end up switching them and adding another amp. Thats why this amp is mounted off to the side. The great thing about this head unit is the blue-tooth, and it is navigation ready. I didn't purchase the PAC Module for the steering wheel controls. The unit has a remote and the touchcreen is 6" away from the steering wheel. The Subs hammer pretty loud and I havent distorted them once. I actually expected them to be louder. Here is what I have goin on in there. The head unit came with free harness, dash kit, and antenna adapter. All the wiring and fuses I bought in town. Let me know what you think.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ID-897NRB.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...o-REX10D4.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...XTX3000.1.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...2.0-Black.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
adjulbic
Rep

Izzy!

Nice job man!! Looks fantastic!!

Couple of questions if you don't mind...

1) Which wiring harness did you use to connect from your car harness to your new HU?

2) Along where did you route your cables from your HU to the amp in the back? (I can't fold down my rear seats so I'm curious to know how you did it)

3) Can you give us a bit more detail about the wiring of the new HU? Did you retain all of the chimes? Did you have to put your old deck in the trunk?

Would really appreciate the help!

Thanks for posting pics! Fantastic job man! Looks really nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
seanarms
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

This is interesting.

I have the logic 7 with the professional head unit. I would really like to replace it with the one from Pioneer (DEH-80PRS or DEX-P99RS) either seem to negate the need for a processor mounted in the trunk.

Unlike your model, some of my OBC info (mpg, speed, etc.) is accessible through the stock head. From what I gathered, removal of the head may disable some aspects of the OBC. Nice set up

Last edited by seanarms; 04-30-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Its no different if you have logic 7 except you'd have to replace the factory amp since it uses a fiber optic connection with the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #13
izzyswift
Rep

Quote:
Can you tell me which wiring harness you used? (a link would be awesome)
If you go to sonicelectronix.com and pick a deck, they will give you a dash kit, wire harness, and an antenna adapter for $15.00 or something, Dash kit was right, harness was right, and the radio works so I assume the antenna adapter was right. I believe the make was Scorche <--- something like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
izzyswift
Rep

Quote:
Unlike your model, some of my OBC info (mpg, speed, etc.) is accessible through the stock head. From what I gathered, removal of the head may disable some aspects of the OBC. Nice set up
Yeah, My head unit displays the same information. Alot of it I can access in the screem by the spedometer, MPG, Fuel, KMs to empty, all that. The only thing I cant really access is the service numbers, but my car didnt have blue-tooth from factory so it was pretty much useless. I did not keep the door chime, and when i set up this deck, I did not connect the wire that disables the DVD player while driving. I dont use it but if my girlfriend wants to watch music videos, not too shabby.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #15
izzyswift
Rep

Quote:
Along where did you route your cables from your HU to the amp in the back? (I can't fold down my rear seats so I'm curious to know how you did it)
If you have ever done it before its always the same. Once you are behind the original head unit. Tuck the wires all the way over to the passenger side. Then start popping moldings. All along the bottom and the column. They are always just help on by clips. Do not wreck them, i dont imagine it is easy to get new ones. then just grab your back seat where the back of your knees would be if you are sitting down, and pull up to the roof. All back seats in any vehicle just come out like that. Once the back seat is off you will be able to find a hole your trunk underneath the backrest.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
My entire setup will be fore sale soon if anyone is interested. Pioneer Z130bt, Sirius Satellite Tuner, 2 X BMW Harnesses, Antenna adapter, Small 4ohm speaker (for door chime), and a dash kit (you may want a different one though). All you need is some 16-18 gauge wire to run the wires to your trunk. All about 6 months old.

adjulbic: Yes that looks like the right harness to me. I used a Metra harness personally, but that one looks right.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
adjulbic
Rep

Hey Izzy;

Forgot to ask another question...when you receive the wiring harness, did you simply plug the one end into the existing BMW harness that comes out of the factory HU and wire the other end to your new HU? Did you have to do any additional wiring? If so, can you show some more detail on that?

Mosx;

Yeah I thought it was the right one too. I wired everything up and it didn't work :-(. My new HU wouldn't power up. I could eject a CD so power was going thru it, but the screen never lit up.

I was reading a few threads on here and someone suggested I use the following wire harness. Do you suggest this one?

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=BMRC-01

This one is from Metra.

Thanks a ton for the responses!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
izzyswift
Rep

It should work right out of the box. Plug and Play Really. All I ran to the Amp in the back was one wire. Typcally it is the Blue remote wire. Mine was Purple (thats just what I grabbed) and the RCAs. Thats all
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
adjulbic
Rep

Hey Izzy;

Sorry man one last post.

Did your factory harness look anything like the pic below (this one is from my car).

Did it have the two fiberoptic cables bottom right? I don't have any amps in my car, so I don't think it's a Logic 7 setup.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
izzyswift
Rep

Hey Man,

I remember having the blue cover over some some of it just like that. I dont remember if there was any extra spots. They probably use one harness for all E90s. higher models might not have that two sets covered up by blue plastic. I think you need to spend 20 - 30$ on Kijiji and but some old kenwood or alpine just to see if it work. That JVC you have might just be shot. Unless you know somewhere else you you have hook it up. I think Future shop sells JVC. I would take it these and get they guy to put it on the board with 10 decks. Tell him to hook it up on that board to see if it works. Just tell him you will buy some wire or something.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #21
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjulbic
Hey Izzy;

Forgot to ask another question...when you receive the wiring harness, did you simply plug the one end into the existing BMW harness that comes out of the factory HU and wire the other end to your new HU? Did you have to do any additional wiring? If so, can you show some more detail on that?

Mosx;

Yeah I thought it was the right one too. I wired everything up and it didn't work :-(. My new HU wouldn't power up. I could eject a CD so power was going thru it, but the screen never lit up.

I was reading a few threads on here and someone suggested I use the following wire harness. Do you suggest this one?

http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=BMRC-01

This one is from Metra.

Thanks a ton for the responses!
Your switched 12 volt isn't wired correctly. Buy a fuse tap and tap the homelink fuse and it will turn on.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:12 AM   #22
jjmanda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Your switched 12 volt isn't wired correctly. Buy a fuse tap and tap the homelink fuse and it will turn on.

I believe so too: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677923

I have not used the Metra BMRC-01 personally and I wasn't necessarily recommending it. I just threw that out there as an option for a switched 12v source.
Appreciate 0