E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Low Oil Temp---Any ideas?

10-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Low Oil Temp---Any ideas?

hey guys,

I've noticed something strange going on with my e93 the last several months. for the first 3 years i had this car, the oil temp gauge would always get to "operating temp" within a few minutes, get to between 240-250 (usually 245) and just stay there. about a year ago, I noticed that the oil temp gauge started taking FOREVER to move at all, and when it did, after 15-20 minutes or so, it would be around 180-190F range. Soon after that, i got a limp mode under load, and eventually found out to be an engine coil, which was replaced. Problem solved. I parked the car over the last winter, and in the spring after starting to drive it again, same issue. Oil temp not reaching the operating temp as it did for the first few years. Over the summer, I got another limp mode under load, which disappeared after I shut the car off and on. I took it to the dealer, they ran tonnes of diagnostics, including the HPFP, and they can't find anything, and they just told me "The oil cooler is working super-efficiently". What the hell kind of explanation is that? I know there's something wrong with my car, but I don't know exactly what. Performance seems to be fine, and I even did a carbon blast to ensure the injectors are clean......

Any ideas?

Thanks!
      10-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Maybe your water thermostat is stuck open. It would cause the entire car to run cool. Might not register a code or you won't find the code if you aren't looking for it.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

thanks for the tip....im having an oil change done next week, will have the dealer check it out.....i also read on here after searching the forums, that some people with slightly similar issues (albeit more severe and performance issues as well) had a failing water pump altogether......anyone think that could be the cause?

anyhow, thanks again