E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Turbo leak? Crankcase breather leak?? Help! M57 330d

10-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #45
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueh88 View Post
Right, all done. At the same time I blanked off the EGR cooler. Just a job I was meaning to do for a long time. EGR was already blanked and coded out.

I guess it's just a matter of checking in a few days see how it goes. There isn't any notable difference at this moment.
What about tbe Oil Dipstick vapours, have they gone once the engine has warmed up?
Nope, no change in that. Exactly the same as before. I wasn't expecting that to change though, I'm more concerned about the leak/oil usage.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #46
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
To be honest I don't know much about the turbo build i just assumed when they said seals they meant the "piston like ring" you mentioned which I thought is what stopped the oil passing through (like one of the piston rings on our pistons would to) as can be seen at 2:30 in this video?

https://youtu.be/LZpstRZI7LQ
Thats the one, every one thinks turbo's have oil seals, can you imagine how long an oil seal would last at exhaust gas temperartures'?? the problem you are experiencing is down to crank case pressures i explained this to the other guy on the phone the other day. more boost bigger crank case pressure, simple.........
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #47
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
Thats the one, every one thinks turbo's have oil seals, can you imagine how long an oil seal would last at exhaust gas temperartures'?? the problem you are experiencing is down to crank case pressures i explained this to the other guy on the phone the other day. more boost bigger crank case pressure, simple.........
Hi Dave,

Truth be told I don't understand that area enough to imagine things like that, its why I asked so that I could understand it better so I appreciate the information. Out of curiousity though, how does the increased boost pressure cause the vapour when I leave the car to warm up? My vapour occurs regardless of whether I drive it or not so boost pressure wouldn't factor.in yet would it?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #48
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Pulled my dipstick out today while running and same, but pretty sure it’s just steam from any moisture in the oil
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #49
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To be honest I don't know much about the turbo build i just assumed when they said seals they meant the "piston like ring" you mentioned which I thought is what stopped the oil passing through (like one of the piston rings on our pistons would to) as can be seen at 2:30 in this video?

https://youtu.be/LZpstRZI7LQ
Yep was very much appreciated - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #50
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Dave,

Truth be told I don't understand that area enough to imagine things like that, its why I asked so that I could understand it better so I appreciate the information. Out of curiousity though, how does the increased boost pressure cause the vapour when I leave the car to warm up? My vapour occurs regardless of whether I drive it or not so boost pressure wouldn't factor.in yet would it?
Lets not get the two things confused: the white vapours are going to be there regardless. Lets say it's just a characteristic. With regards to higher pressure, that is what is giving the increased oil consumption due to the lack of any oil/air separation within the breather assembly.

Put it this way, if you drive around off boost, your oil consumption/leakage will be minimal. When on boost, that's when the oil consumption/leakage will increase.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #51
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
Pulled my dipstick out today while running and same, but pretty sure it’s just steam from any moisture in the oil
Simple hold you hand or a piece of kitchen towel over it and see what is there, easy if it's wet it's condensation if it's greasy it's oil. but all engine's make condensation, the more plodding round town and not being used out on the open road the more they make.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #52
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dave,

what happens to any oil you heat up? you get vapour. look at a frying pan.... go in a chippy.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #53
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Lets not get the two things confused: the white vapours are going to be there regardless. Lets say it's just a characteristic. With regards to higher pressure, that is what is giving the increased oil consumption due to the lack of any oil/air separation within the breather assembly.

Put it this way, if you drive around off boost, your oil consumption/leakage will be minimal. When on boost, that's when the oil consumption/leakage will increase.
Like i explained the other day you have to know what boost has been programmed in, when we were doing the cozzys they would take 15psi on a standard breather, you start pushing 25psi they start pushing the cam seals out. mine peaked at 36psi and held 29psi or 2 bar. it had a top spec R breather system. this is the shit mappers don't tell you. every one wants the bhp but with it comes consequences.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #54
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Like i explained the other day you have to know what boost has been programmed in, when we were doing the cozzys they would take 15psi on a standard breather, you start pushing 25psi they start pushing the cam seals out. mine peaked at 36psi and held 29psi or 2 bar. it had a top spec R breather system. this is the shit mappers don't tell you. every one wants the bhp but with it comes consequences.
Yep. We are in agreement, just saying it in different ways
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #55
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

mines mapped to 290 and used no oil i can detect in my 10k intervals i change at....
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:36 AM   #56
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
too true,,like the torque benders,,thus is one of the reasons i went to bwchiptune for my remap on my 335d
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 07:12 AM   #57
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Right, it has been a few days with the new vortex separator installed...so far, no oil usage. I have been checking the dipstick every morning on the drive so same conditions each time and the level hasn't moved whatsoever. I will be keeping further track of it and I will be inspecting the breather pipe too to see what oil if any is in there. I cleaned it out when I fitted the new vortex.
So far so good.....
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #58
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Right, it has been a few days with the new vortex separator installed...so far, no oil usage. I have been checking the dipstick every morning on the drive so same conditions each time and the level hasn't moved whatsoever. I will be keeping further track of it and I will be inspecting the breather pipe too to see what oil if any is in there. I cleaned it out when I fitted the new vortex.
So far so good.....
forgot to say,,the guy who srviced my 335d said if breather leaks put a cable tie on the joint..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 02:47 AM   #59
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
Quote:
So far so good.....
forgot to say,,the guy who srviced my 335d said if breather leaks put a cable tie on the joint..
Yeah I've not had to do that as it hasn't ever leaked from that joint. May put one just in case..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:22 AM   #60
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I've not had to do that as it hasn't ever leaked from that joint. May put one just in case..
Hi mate,

Since putting the vortex on has it made any difference?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 05:50 AM   #61
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi mate,

Since putting the vortex on has it made any difference?
Hey mate.

Well it has definitely reduced if not eliminated the oil usage so therefore the oil leak I was experiencing at the bottom of the turbo clean air intake pipe. I'm still keeping an eye on it so fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #62
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

So is this what you mean by Vortex breather? Name:  20180919_120038_crop_317x310.jpg
Views: 2502
Size:  86.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #63
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragerboy View Post
So is this what you mean by Vortex breather? Attachment 1925233
Yep that is it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #64
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Maybe I will put it in mine now. I left it out because the old breather I removed had nothing in it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 03:42 AM   #65
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

the older one is even begter,,ie loo roll filter,,just have to take out and replce now and again,,or clean it etc
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #66
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hey mate.

Well it has definitely reduced if not eliminated the oil usage so therefore the oil leak I was experiencing at the bottom of the turbo clean air intake pipe. I'm still keeping an eye on it so fingers crossed.
That great news, so how much oil was you losing before the vortex? Mines on the more extreme side of 1 litre per month (around 1000 miles)
Appreciate 0