E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > steering wheel vibration when braking, brembo front pads and rotors only 1 year old

11-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
tnixa
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi wagon

steering wheel vibration when braking, brembo front pads and rotors only 1 year old

I have an 09 328i xdrive wagon with 140K miles that I got about a year ago. When I got the car the steering wheel shook when braking so I replace the front pads and rotors with Brembo parts which I thought should be decent. This solved the problem but recently the vibration is back when braking at any speed again. The pads and rotors have less than 5,000 miles on them.

I took the rotors off today and cleaned off the rust between the hub and the rotor but that didn't seem to help.

Could the rotors be warped already? Do I need to stick to OE rotors?

Last edited by tnixa; 11-03-2018 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixa View Post
I have an 09 328i xdrive wagon with 140K miles that I got about a year ago. When I got the car the steering wheel shook when braking so I replace the front pads and rotors with Brembo parts which I thought should be decent. This solved the problem but recently the vibration is back when braking at any speed again. The pads and rotors have less than 5,000 miles on them.

I took the rotors off today and cleaned off the rust between the hub and the rotor but that didn't seem to help.

Could the rotors be warped already? Do I need to stick to OE rotors?
Rotors don't warp anymore. Do you have dark spots on the rotor surface area (pad build up)? We're your wheels torqued to the proper specification?
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
dangdude
Fixing stuff is fun.
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6MT, e46 zhp, z3mr

Are you sure the wiggle is 1:1 with your wheel rotation? Worn suspension and tie rods will cause wiggle at higher speeds, as well as slightly bent wheels. If the steering wheel definitely moves when stopping from 10 mph to 0 slowly, suspect brakes. But with 140k, I would start with tie rods and checking alignment.
      11-04-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
tnixa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Rotors don't warp anymore. Do you have dark spots on the rotor surface area (pad build up)? We're your wheels torqued to the proper specification?
I do have some dark spots on the rotors. I'll try cleaning those off. I torqued wheels to 100 ft-lbs but it seems I should have done 90 so I'll try that also.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
tnixa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangdude View Post
Are you sure the wiggle is 1:1 with your wheel rotation? Worn suspension and tie rods will cause wiggle at higher speeds, as well as slightly bent wheels. If the steering wheel definitely moves when stopping from 10 mph to 0 slowly, suspect brakes. But with 140k, I would start with tie rods and checking alignment.
Car drives without any vibration at all speeds until I brake. I think I'll start with cleaning the spots off the rotors and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
I do have some dark spots on the rotors. I'll try cleaning those off. I torqued wheels to 100 ft-lbs but it seems I should have done 90 so I'll try that also.
The dark spots are either pad residue or hot spots from hard stops. If they are hot spots the only way to get rid of them is to have the rotors resurfaced. Depending on the pad material you may also need a resurface as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
tnixa
Rep

Over the weekend I tried bedding in the brakes but that didn't seem to help. Today, I had the rotors resurfaced and the vibration is now gone. There was one groove on the back side of one of the rotors that was kind of deep so maybe that was causing problems or could have been the pad reside. I figured it was much less work to have them resurfaced vs trying to clean them myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Over the weekend I tried bedding in the brakes but that didn't seem to help. Today, I had the rotors resurfaced and the vibration is now gone. There was one groove on the back side of one of the rotors that was kind of deep so maybe that was causing problems or could have been the pad reside. I figured it was much less work to have them resurfaced vs trying to clean them myself.
Thrust arms
Appreciate 0