E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Yellow + Swift Spec R Review

04-09-2014, 01:34 AM   #67
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
Hey everyone,

Just recently I went from oem shocks with h&r sport springs to koni yellows and the new swift spec r springs. Initially I wanted KW coilovers but was told by numerous race shops that fitment may not be possible with my aggressive wheel setup. I'm so glad I didn't go with KW and took Harolds advice. The difference in handling, comfort and stability is night and day over oem/h&r .Taking sharp turns before the upgrade was unstable and the rear end felt very loose. Now I can make turns with extreme confidence and the overall feel of the road has increased dramatically. I've been in kw equipped 335i and the drive is far superior in comparison. I'm sure the swift springs are part of the reason. I highly recommend anyone making the switch as I am more in love with this car than ever before. The height is ever so slightly higher which in my opinion is perfect!

Thank you so much to Harold from HP Autosport for his excellent customer service and answering all my questions. He is a true gentleman with high level of knowledge in this industry.

Big track guy hater troll and you ran H&R on stock shocks? Pfffft. Lmao.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #68
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

how much is the drop on e92 335 sport?
right now I have 2 finger gap in front. my rear is flush. not sure if rear is normal height.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #69
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPSI View Post
It's amazing on the street! I tried posting pictures but it said the images were too large

As I mentioned the height it perfect, the fender is almost perfectly aligned with the top of the sidewall.

KW V1 is just for looks and you can't adjust the rebound. I've been in V2s and these feel better overall. The car feels the way it should feel.
I am curious how this setup has worked out for you after a few ears now? Any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #70
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Not only a slightly more drop, but the spring rates are progressive. Therefore you will have a very soft initial travel and not enough later to keep suspension away from the bump stops.

Linear rate is want you want for more accurate and consistent response.
Hi Harold,

I am looking to add these Swift Spec-R spr Me to my new Koni Yellow's.

Can I just the rear a little hirer using the e30 rear spring pads that come in various thicknesses? 5, 7.5 and 10mm

What do you recommend for dampening settings?

Last edited by D's Bimmer; 06-21-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #71
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
Hi Harold,

I am looking to add these Swift Spec-R spr Me to my new Koni Yellow's.

Can I just the rear a little hirer using the e30 rear spring pads that come in various thicknesses? 5, 7.5 and 10mm

What do you recommend for dampening settings?
I don't think the E30 spring pads will work, but all you need is some spacers between the upper spring seat and the metal cup/spring retainer.

50% will get you damping that is a little stiffer than stock, some like 70-80% for a firmer ride. Front is easier to get to so you can start at 50% and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #72
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't think the E30 spring pads will work, but all you need is some spacers between the upper spring seat and the metal cup/spring retainer.

50% will get you damping that is a little stiffer than stock, some like 70-80% for a firmer ride. Front is easier to get to so you can start at 50% and go from there.
What spacers do you recommend to raise the rear end then?

I was planning on dialling in the Koni's to 1.75 turns from stiff on the front and 1.5 turns from stiff for the rear. How does this sound?

Thanks,

Last edited by D's Bimmer; 06-21-2016 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #73
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
What spacers do you recommend to raise the rear end then?

I was planning on dealing in the Koni's to 1.75 turns from stiff on the front and 1.5 turns from stiff for the rear. How does this sound?

Thanks,
You need spacers that are no more than 3.75" in diameter and less than 1/2" thick. Too large in diameter they won't fit inside the metal cup and too small the spring may become unstable. 1/2" spacer at the location will mean nearly 1" increase in ride height so you shouldn't need anything taller than that. Keeping it under 1/2" will also ensure that the spring does not come out of the metal cup.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #74
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You need spacers that are no more than 3.75" in diameter and less than 1/2" thick. Too large in diameter they won't fit inside the metal cup and too small the spring may become unstable. 1/2" spacer at the location will mean nearly 1" increase in ride height so you shouldn't need anything taller than that. Keeping it under 1/2" will also ensure that the spring does not come out of the metal cup.
This is what I recently did to raise the back end. Is this not a good idea based on your comments? A number of people on here have done this modification to raise the back end slightly. I used the 5mm e90 spring pads.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264394
      06-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #75
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is what I recently did to raise the back end. Is this not a good idea based on your comments? A number of people on here have done this modification to raise the back end slightly. I used the 5mm e90 spring pads.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264394
5mm should be okay as it is less than 1/2", the springs will still be contained.
Appreciate 0