E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N55 Catless Downpipes

11-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
knapmann
Rep
Drives: E91 335i MT

N55 Catless Downpipes

Firstly I apologies for raising a topic that seems to be perennially discussed but I have searched on here to no avail for a clear answer for us in the UK marketplace.

1) I have read that RWD N55 E9x dont have secondary cats in the mid section but x-drives do...however there seems to be some debate/confusion around this, can anyone confirm this? Im not sure if this is different in UK/USA etc

2) The above, if correct, means that a catless DP install on a RWD N55 car like mine will therefore be totally catless... I have read on some 1 series forums that this will essentially guarantee an MOT fail. They say the only options you have are to swap downpipes for MOT's every year - not something I want to be doing - or to get a highflow catted downpipe which are more expensive and dont have the sound benefits I assume, and im not sure if they flow as well as totally catless pipes...

What do people think? Is there anyone running catless downpipe N55 RWD cars out there and passing MOTs?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Not a N55 owner, yet from my knowledge no cats = mot failure. I've seen friends fail mot's on multiple/different cars evo, sti, m3, S3 etc (don't quote me maybe N55 is different)

To confirm whether you have secondary cats or not type your last 7 vin digits into realoem or more simply look underneath the car you can't miss it.

Your best bet is to go for high flows unless you can afford (money/time) to swap your cats every year for mot! Also watch our for insurance in case of an accident if they find you don't have cats and then your car is deemed not road legal etc ... speaking from experience it doesn't end good!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post
Not a N55 owner, yet from my knowledge no cats = mot failure. I've seen friends fail mot's on multiple/different cars evo, sti, m3, S3 etc (don't quote me maybe N55 is different)

To confirm whether you have secondary cats or not type your last 7 vin digits into realoem or more simply look underneath the car you can't miss it.

Your best bet is to go for high flows unless you can afford (money/time) to swap your cats every year for mot! Also watch our for insurance in case of an accident if they find you don't have cats and then your car is deemed not road legal etc ... speaking from experience it doesn't end good!
My N54 335i has passed 2 MOT's with no primary cats at all.

Id be surprised if it has only 1 set of cats. Wouldn't bother with sports cats. Either find a friendly tester or if your that worried, don't do it.
Appreciate 0