E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d injector Number 4 adaptation issue.

06-17-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Boyd122
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335D bmw 325es 1986

335d injector Number 4 adaptation issue.

Keep having this issue with injector number 4 but still no answer to why it happens. Replaced injector 4 about 20,000 miles ago first time to my knowledge and relearned it with protool by BG and kept getting adapt issues which threw the SEL every 40 or so miles after reset. I've updated the dme with ista which took my tune off the car. Currently have a dudmd stage 2 tune. I'm not on my 3rd injector change for number 4 and can't seem to find why it's doing this. I asked dudmd if it's because of the tune and bmws safety for when you delete the car. They replied with the tune not being a issue.
Code is 4B06

If anyone knows what too do that would be great. Wondering if a JR tune would be better even though dudmd has been good.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

You programmed the new injector's code to the car with protool right?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Noobie View Post
You programmed the new injector's code to the car with protool right?
Yes, lol. You have too.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd122 View Post
Yes, lol. You have too.
Don't necessarily have to, but it's recommended.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Noobie View Post
Quote:
Yes, lol. You have too.
Don't necessarily have to, but it's recommended.
I have a few ideas, though don't have anyone near who can do a walnut blast, but I think the carbon build up is pretty bad on the valves, I once had a code for smooth running on two but it went away. So it may be a issue, if not maybe the harness but I'm doubting that as the car runs fine and doesn't shudder at all...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #6
Drews2k
Rep
Drives: 73mini//03cooperS//330XDe90

How much is the fuel quantity correction on injector number 4?
You can do al 6 injector test with the diagno tool
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drews2k View Post
How much is the fuel quantity correction on injector number 4?
You can do al 6 injector test with the diagno tool
Don't know yet, every time I connect to ista p tries to update my dme back to factory settings, my Maximus scantool won't do the test so I am not sure yet. I believe I may have bad build up on that cylinder so my liqui moly Distrib is hooking me up with diesel intake cleaner Monday with two cans. So if it continues we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Don't know yet, every time I connect to ista p tries to update my dme back to factory settings, my Maximus scantool won't do the test so I am not sure yet. I believe I may have bad build up on that cylinder so my liqui moly Distrib is hooking me up with diesel intake cleaner Monday with two cans. So if it continues we shall see.
What test are you doing with the maxipad? What are tou trying to do putting the "dme" back to factory settings? What is diesel intake cleaner? A lot of the stuff you are posting is making no sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:36 AM   #9
Boyd122
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Quote:
What test are you doing with the maxipad? What are tou trying to do putting the "dme" back to factory settings? What is diesel intake cleaner? A lot of the stuff you are posting is making no sense.

I work on bigger diesels, est: 19 years ago or so. Anyway, BMW isn't like duramax or cummins engines for when you delete, I've noticed tuners have to trick the dme and don't do full deletes like what you can with cummins or duramax because they have off-road files or people who are pretty knowledgeable on making a new file for the ecm for a delete tune. Anyway I've been reading there is a factory update for the dme on the 335d to fix a injector bug for mass adaptation which i did. and fixed. Then got my tuner to do a reflash to trick the dme for the "delete" ( I could be wrong about the whole delete situation with bmw diesels so take that with a grain of salt or so)
Anyway. Also, liqui moly sells a intake cleaner for diesel and gas engines for people who don't want to exactly do a walnut blast or power wash the inside of there intake manifold just yet. So I am waiting for that to arrive so I can two cans of it and change the oil. Hope this is more organized as I just type and hope people can bear with me. Just caught what you meant by maxipad, look up Matco Maximus Scantool. Very good scantool.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:05 PM   #10
Batman2001
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

I had this same issue when I first picked up my 335D about 2 weeks ago. Previous owner had a carbon cleaning service done and injector 3 was replaced, bmw replaced injector 4 like in january of this year, and car idled fine and everything.
-First order of business is making sure your 335D is MAKING SURE YOUR INTAKE IS CARBON FREE,
-change out your fuel filter (this is not absolutely necessary, but this is what I did and this code went away, I'm a frugal guy so trust me when i tell you I dont do things just to spend money) and add some hotshots diesel extreme to the fuel filter, then add some hotshots edt to the tank,
-then make sure the dde is on on the latest integration level (Mine was 15 something), then you need to go into ISTA+ (protools can NOT do this) and reset increment wheel adaption and mean quantity adaptions.
-After both adaptions are reset the only way for that SES to go away is to perform a couple overrun phases (with engine temp at a minimum of like 70 degrees Celsius, manually shift in 3rd gear and stay in third gear, then acceleration between 1500-2500 rpm, and let the car coast down until it downshifts to 2nd year automatically or as long as possible; the longer you let it coast down, the less overrun phases needed to be performed )

I'm not sure if you have to follow EVERY SINGLE STEP I wrote, but I did and its gotten rid of that annoying SES light for 4b06. I was also getting SES for zero quantity on injector 3 as well from time to time. NEITHER HAVE SHOWN UP ANYMORE.
Appreciate 0