E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Installing RGBW LED Halo Bulbs

05-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #1
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328i 6MT

Installing RGBW LED Halo Bulbs

Hey guys! Just got my set of RGBW LED Bulbs for my halo lights on my pre-lci 328i, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any tips/DIYs/Tutorials for installing these? They will certainly be a little trickier than installing regular LED bulbs since you've got a lot more pieces to work with (Wifi Module, for example).

If anyone has any experience installing these or knows of any threads explaining how to install these (I had a look and I could not find any threads on the topic), I would love your help, and appreciate it more than you know!

Cheers!
Dspence44
      05-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspence44 View Post
Hey guys! Just got my set of RGBW LED Bulbs for my halo lights on my pre-lci 328i, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any tips/DIYs/Tutorials for installing these? They will certainly be a little trickier than installing regular LED bulbs since you've got a lot more pieces to work with (Wifi Module, for example).

If anyone has any experience installing these or knows of any threads explaining how to install these (I had a look and I could not find any threads on the topic), I would love your help, and appreciate it more than you know!

Cheers!
Dspence44
Are these plug and play bulbs or full replacement rings? do you have more information about what you purchased because that would help.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

I have a set which I'll probably fit this week.

Looks exactly the same as any after market angel lights except as you say a wifi box and that runs to both LED bulbs. So looks like either drilling a hole for the wires to get into the light area or leaving the cap off the top.

I assume one of the ballasts just plugs into where the 2nd bulb normally would.

I have a dud Angel light to check first. One blew out last week.

Will have to glue or velcro the wifi box in place and run one of the wires across the top of the cooling fan or near by.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Are these plug and play bulbs or full replacement rings? do you have more information about what you purchased because that would help.
Thanks for your interest guys! The lights are plug and play from Afterpartz.com. This is what comes when you purchase the package from their website.

2x AFTERPARTZ H8 Wifi CREE LED Angel Eyes bulb
1x WiFi transmitter
2x Decoding Resistor

I will upload a video showing the specific parts as well as the connectors.

Thanks again!
      05-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

HPB has these but has yet to release them. They had concerns about the extra qualms of the install and if people were up to the task.

As another poster said in this thread, you'd need to fab up and drill to mount stuff. Not really hard work but to some it may deter them.

All in all it's fairly straight forward just like a regular angel eye install but you need that hole in the back of the cover to feed wires and need to mount the extra hardware somewhere nearby.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
HPB has these but has yet to release them. They had concerns about the extra qualms of the install and if people were up to the task.

As another poster said in this thread, you'd need to fab up and drill to mount stuff. Not really hard work but to some it may deter them.

All in all it's fairly straight forward just like a regular angel eye install but you need that hole in the back of the cover to feed wires and need to mount the extra hardware somewhere nearby.
That's what I am thinking.. Drill a hole in the back of the housing, run the wires through, and once everything is checked over and working put a small bead of silicone to seal the hole and keep out moisture? Do you think that would be wise?
      05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
I have a set which I'll probably fit this week.

Looks exactly the same as any after market angel lights except as you say a wifi box and that runs to both LED bulbs. So looks like either drilling a hole for the wires to get into the light area or leaving the cap off the top.

I assume one of the ballasts just plugs into where the 2nd bulb normally would.

I have a dud Angel light to check first. One blew out last week.

Will have to glue or velcro the wifi box in place and run one of the wires across the top of the cooling fan or near by.
Here is a video showing all the pieces involved. I am a little confused on where the one cord connects into. The one that is by itself with what looks like a resistor or ballast attached to it?

[u2b]https://youtu.be/MSp9U40JdSY[/u2b]
      05-31-2016, 11:14 AM   #8
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
I've uploaded a video to show all the pieces that I have to work with!
      05-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
That's what I am thinking.. Drill a hole in the back of the housing, run the wires through, and once everything is checked over and working put a small bead of silicone to seal the hole and keep out moisture? Do you think that would be wise?
Yep, exactly.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Yep, exactly.
Alright perfect! Any thoughts on a good spot to mount the wifi module? Where do you think would be a smart spot to mount it?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 01:26 AM   #11
dspence44
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

SUCCESS! Wow... What a process! But it's finally done and I am more than happy with the end result! Such a cool set of LED bulbs to have in your vehicle. But don't think this is going to be a simple and quick DIY! It took me probably around 6 hours of working to get it all done to my standards (Which I admit, sometimes I'm a little OCD...). The length is also attributed to steps that I took that I didn't have to do AT ALL! For example, contrary to what most DIYs that I read were telling me, you DO NOT have to remove the front tires to get at the back of the Halo lights. Or at least not for my 2007 328i Coupe. I was able to do it all from the small access door on the top of the light housing. But still, I damn near had to break my hands to be able to fit them in there and maneuver a bulb around. So at this point you can either struggle with it like I did, or go find someone with tiny hands to get in there. From there I cut some holes to run my cables through and re-sealed them all with silicone!

If anyone has any questions about this DIY, feel free to ask and I will do the best that I can to answer!

Dspence44
      06-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

removing wheels is for E90 not E92
      06-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #13
335iNavyGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 N54 E92

Quote:

Cheers!
Dspence44
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1131085

My thread
Appreciate 0