E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > N54 Oil Temp Sensor?

12-05-2023, 01:00 PM   #1
EvoScorp
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i N54

N54 Oil Temp Sensor?

Hello,
I have a 2009 335i N54 with the oil cooler.

This may be a dumb question, but where is the location of the oil temp sensor? I know where the coolant temp sensor is, just left of the OFH, but I cannot find the location of the Oil Temp Sensor.

My oil temp gauge doesn't seem to always be accurate or sometime won't read at all but sometimes reads just fine. Water temp reading is fine in MHC and cluster test works fine.

So, I am thinking the oil temp sensor could be going. Any suggestions?
Or if you have diagrams or pictures of location would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:28 PM   #2
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoScorp View Post
Hello,
I have a 2009 335i N54 with the oil cooler.

This may be a dumb question, but where is the location of the oil temp sensor? I know where the coolant temp sensor is, just left of the OFH, but I cannot find the location of the Oil Temp Sensor.

My oil temp gauge doesn't seem to always be accurate or sometime won't read at all but sometimes reads just fine. Water temp reading is fine in MHC and cluster test works fine.

So, I am thinking the oil temp sensor could be going. Any suggestions?
Or if you have diagrams or pictures of location would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you.
Oil temp sensor/Oil level sensor. bottom of sump.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
EvoScorp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgAu View Post
Thank you for your reply. The level and temp are from the same sensor in the oil pan? Or do you mean the oil temp sensor is in the same area as the level sensor?

What confuses me is that when you look up the part for the oil temp sensor, it is the same part as the coolant temp sensor, it seems to indicate that the same part is used for both which makes sense as they both are temp sensors. The sensor is described as oil/coolant temp sensor.

I have been searching a ton on it and I can never get a straight answer anywhere. Some people say the coolant/water temp sensor are the same sensor and both readings come from the same sensor. That makes no sense to me how Bmer can get oil temp from the coolant temp sensor.

When I look up diagrams I can't find any reference as to where it is located and not 1 video on the Tube for oil temp sensor, only coolant. It is maddening.

If it is the same as the level sensor, I guess I'd have to replace that whole sensor, not cheap for sure, but then what is on these cars.

It would be nice go see a diagram or something that indicates the location of it being in the level sensor or elsewhere.

Again, thank you for your reply.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:33 PM   #4
EvoScorp
Rep

Quote:
You are correct TiAgAu. I found a manual and it indicates that the Oil Condition Sensor (OZS) measures not only oil level but also oil temp and and oil condition. Maybe that would explain why I do have an oil condition code when connecting to the OBDII. Thank you again for the tip, I guess I will need to replace this unit. Uhhhg.
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00
      12-12-2023, 12:05 PM   #5
EvoScorp
Rep

Quote:
I called BMW parts to see if they can confirm and they are telling me that the water/oil temp sensor are the same. They wouldn't tell me anymore other than if I ordered an oil temp sensor that is the sensor I would get. The same one use for the coolant.

This down not make sense to me. How do you get oil temp form the coolant temp sensor. Can anyone clarify this for me? I agree with TiAgAu, that the oil temp is coming from the oil level/condition sensor on the bottom of the oil pan but why is it that so many sources say it is the same at the coolant sensor including BMW. It doesn't make sense to me. Please help. Thank you.

See picture: This is what my manual says.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:42 PM   #6
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoScorp View Post
I called BMW parts to see if they can confirm and they are telling me that the water/oil temp sensor are the same. They wouldn't tell me anymore other than if I ordered an oil temp sensor that is the sensor I would get. The same one use for the coolant.

This down not make sense to me. How do you get oil temp form the coolant temp sensor. Can anyone clarify this for me? I agree with TiAgAu, that the oil temp is coming from the oil level/condition sensor on the bottom of the oil pan but why is it that so many sources say it is the same at the coolant sensor including BMW. It doesn't make sense to me. Please help. Thank you.

See picture: This is what my manual says.
Not sure what your asking here. First pic you posted is the oil pressure switch. It's a one wire switch where you get a warning if pressure drops below a certain pressure.

Coolant temp sensor is more on the front of the engine just below the oil filter housing. I circled it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0