E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best Ceramic Pads

01-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #23
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I think with most tires we are running - especially if all season - the wheels will lock up and trigger abs with my akebono pads about the same as the OE they replaced.
If you are putting A/S tires in equation, take into consideration that modulation is much, much easier on semi-metallic compound than ceramic. That is why on track you will never find anything similar to AK bcs. modulation issues.
So, if you worry about ABS< AK are wrong way to go, or any similar pad. Do not get me wrong, AK is reputable manufacturer. They supply McLAren in F1. But, product they offer here for Euro cars is all about neighbors not asking you why your wheels are so dirty.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:16 PM   #24
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
I love my akebonos. Very little dusting. Brakes feel great. Run a DSC calibration after installing as well - you'll be surprised what a difference it makes. I had OEM prior to installing them and I can't tell any real difference. There's nothing I miss about OEM.
What kind of DSC calibration you did? Performance brakes coding?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #25
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
If you are putting A/S tires in equation, take into consideration that modulation is much, much easier on semi-metallic compound than ceramic. That is why on track you will never find anything similar to AK bcs. modulation issues.
So, if you worry about ABS< AK are wrong way to go, or any similar pad. Do not get me wrong, AK is reputable manufacturer. They supply McLAren in F1. But, product they offer here for Euro cars is all about neighbors not asking you why your wheels are so dirty.
What I was trying to say was for less grippy tires, we are likely to lock up quickly and pads are less important. Is your point that the ABS modulation will be more effective (=quicker stops) with a non-ceramic pad?
      01-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #26
edycol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
What I was trying to say was for less grippy tires, we are likely to lock up quickly and pads are less important. Is your point that the ABS modulation will be more effective (=quicker stops) with a non-ceramic pad?
1. Semi-Metallic compound has better reaction. How much that transfers in ft requires actual test, but it does transfer in additional ft.
2. Semi-Metallic pads have much better performance dead cold.
3. Yes, you can modulate yourself better before activating ABS.
Appreciate 2
gjm1202181.50
      02-13-2021, 04:51 PM   #27
GregSimon
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d, VW Passat B7

Brembos are great for hard pedal response, but they are semi-metallic. From fully-ceramic brake pads I love Bosch, or even maybe I will chose TRWs during the next service... TRWs are seems to be even better than OE pads for BMWs and Camry
Appreciate 0