E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > CHINA - disgraceful

10-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
CHINA - disgraceful

What can I say about this - just watch it - be warned - it's graphic.

I despair of the human race sometimes.
      10-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Chadd
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 335

OMFG! I cannot believe this. I have children this age, this is insane. They just walked by. That car ran over her leg. This is horrible! I feel horrible.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

That has made my blood boil and am deeply shocked by the despicable behaviour shown by those individuals.

Without sounding discriminatory.....where are these peoples moral standards??!!

Last edited by TikoV; 10-23-2011 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
It was featured quite heavily on the 'Mail Online' site all of last week, and I found it very disturbing viewing.

It does beggar belief and outrage.
Unfortunately, and sadly unsurprisingly, the very young girl has since died.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10...s-in-hospital/

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:23 AM   #5
spandeli
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320D M Sport Auto

Yes it was on the news last week. This is horrible, and make us wonder where are we haeding to, and making us realise how is the world and people changing..

The little girl unfortunately passed away a few days later
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
My miswah showed me this the other day. Awful.
      10-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #7
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Truly shocking behaviour. Don't know how those people could just walk by. I was reading something about this and it said people don't get involved in China as they can be made financially responsible but this does not excuse it. Terrible way for such a young child to die.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

They're not bad people or irresponsible.

It's the bystander effect/Genovese syndrome
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moar View Post
They're not bad people or irresponsible.

It's the bystander effect/Genovese syndrome

I disagree

"The probability of help has in the past been thought to be inversely related to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. The mere presence of other bystanders greatly decreases intervention. This happens because as the number of bystanders increases, any given bystander is less likely to notice the incident, less likely to interpret the incident as a problem, and less likely to assume responsibility for taking action"

There were no bystanders from what I could make out?
      10-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #10
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
This explains it better for me, but there is also comment made of the fact that people are sued fro helping sometimes aswell.

"Other commentators believe the Chinese have always been like this — connected and responsible for their immediate family, indifferent to everyone else. As The Sydney Morning Herald comments,

A study by Professor Yunxiang Yan, an anthropologist at University of California, Los Angeles, found that China’s traditional morality code still applies strictly to existing relationships but that it has struggled to adapt to a modern world where strangers frequently interact.
A reluctance to help has been exacerbated by prominent cases of extortion where Good Samaritans have been ripped off by those they have helped.
The argument is that the helper must have contributed to the injury otherwise they would not have helped."
      10-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #11
moar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
I disagree

"The probability of help has in the past been thought to be inversely related to the number of bystanders; in other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. The mere presence of other bystanders greatly decreases intervention. This happens because as the number of bystanders increases, any given bystander is less likely to notice the incident, less likely to interpret the incident as a problem, and less likely to assume responsibility for taking action"

There were no bystanders from what I could make out?
1. We have one angle as a view.

2. People going by via car or bicycle count as bystanders.

It's just like, if I saw someone lying on the road in desperate need of an adrenaline shot in the leg, would I give it to them?

Hell no.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Paul - View Post
I despair of the human race sometimes.
Totally agree Paul, what the hell is wrong with some people?
Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

I don't think that the bystander effect or apathy can be considered in this instance as to take effect you need one or more people as bystanders(not people passing) ie the more people as fixed bystanders,the greater the possibility of the individual not taking action.
As can be seen,nobody actually stands near or next to the girl long enough for any another person(s) to suffer the syndrome.
I don't know what the real reason is-being brought up in a society where human rights are frowned upon or the fact,as has been mentioned,that in China,if you kill someone,the monetary implications are less than if the "victim" is still alive!
I would be interested in a Chinese person giving their opinion on the possible reasons behind the inaction.
I just hope that these type of people and anyone else unwilling to help are in the minority-probably not though...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:03 AM   #14
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

The term "diffusion of responsibility" comes to mind in this instance....
      10-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #15
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
What was she doing wandering on her own?
      10-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #16
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Read this on BBC the other day.

I have a little boy who is 3... and i cant bring myself to click on the link to watch the vid - in fact when i saw the vid embedded.. i scrolled down quick.

It disgusts me.... and has caused uproar in china.
      10-23-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I believe the girl wandered off from a shop that her parents ran in the market

Sadly what happened with regards to the bystanders is atypical of the Chinese mentality or culture. The Chinese are actually a very selfish and self-centred culture, only thinking of themselves as individuals and to hell with anyone else. It is rare for a Chinese person to be magnanimous and caring for others in their attitude, and even more so in mainland China than in Hong Kong. British culture has influenced and shaped much of Hong Kong so that it is more human and open, but mainland China is still playing catchup and unfortunately that attitude that is shown on the video with the little girl happens every single day in China.

It is despicable and just shows how backward Chinese culture can be.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #18
bounty78
Mike
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F10 528i M Sport LCI

Garage List
It makes me sick to the stomach watching the video..even though China is an up and coming economic superpower,they have a lot to learn from the rest of the world as far as humanity and technology innovation R&D goes. China is very good at making fake stuffs, cheap workforce and exporting prostitutes and that's about it really. An acquaintance once told me that in China, if someone was involved in a hit and run, they would make sure the victim is dead or beyond resuscitation to avoid paying out huge compensation fees to the victim's family..not sure how true this is but it all makes sense now once i had seen this video. Apparently the 2 yr old toddler has died in ITU of severe head injuries. Fucking arse hole..hope they rot in hell! Completely agreed with what E92fan has said. No disrespect to people from China but China will never be like the USA. Hope i don't have to eat my words someday
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #19
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I guess how Tony has described the Chinese culture goes someway to explaining their fondness for ripping off the rest of the world with their sub-standard fakes and/or copy-cat products.....if they're that self-centred then they're going to have little regard for the impact to both the people/business that they have copied from and the customers who buy their unsafe or poor quality products.

Back onto the subject of this, I'm very shocked that any human being can act in this way and watch this happen without doing anything at all about it. In the UK, we certainly don't live in a perfect society by any means but I'd like to think that even the lowest of the low-life would actually do something if they saw something like this. There again, maybe not?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty78 View Post
Hope i don't have to eat my words someday
Well, I hope that someday you do and China does adopt some of the better cultural traits of the developed world .....because that would surely mean the country has improved beyond the situation seen in the video!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I don't think it's the "bystander" bullshit syndrome.

Look at the vid I posted with the motor cyclist and the BMW. Everyone came together to rescue him from under the car.
      10-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #22
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

I saw the first 10seconds and had to stop. My little girl is two next month it's just too easy to connect how that can happen, I'm totally paranoid about my kids running into the road, I'm appalled that nobody had it in them to comfort, help or just call emergency services.
Appreciate 0