E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > How to code out E-Diff to turn DTC completely off?

06-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #67
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversatisfied1 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I downloaded all the software, the cable driver and my cable is on order.

Hopefully I can figure out how to find the right module and turn some of the brake and brake temp items off. I figure worst case I found some people on the website I can pay to code this stuff off remotely once my cable is here

Interesting you found oil temp an issue after turning off calculated brake temp. I have no idea how to trend this? I just never thought a 7qt sump and 200 whatever hp could overheat that much oil.

What did you do to trend and solve your oil temp issue in an N52?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!
I logged temps using CARLY on my phone and an OBDII to Bluetooth adapter. I swapped in the oil filter housing and thermostat housing from a 3-series and installed my own oil cooler in the passenger wheel well.

As for the coding, I took screenshots of everything that relates to the 128i in post #26 of the thread I already linked you (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...nannies&page=2)...

I followed this guide to get started:
(expert mode did not write to the DME for me - I had to use the profile Revtor set up that comes pre-loaded in NCSExpert with that virtual machine...)

This one helped too:

Last edited by bNks334; 06-02-2016 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #68
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
I logged temps using CARLY on my phone and an OBDII to Bluetooth adapter. I swapped in the oil filter housing and thermostat housing from a 3-series and installed my own oil cooler in the passenger wheel well.

As for the coding, youtube and google are your friend. I took screenshots of everything that relates to the 128i in post #26 of the thread I already linked you (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...nannies&page=2)...

I followed this guide to get started:
(expert mode did not write to the DME for me - I had to use the profile Revtor set up that comes pre-loaded in NCSExpert with that virtual machine...)

This one helped too:
That first video is brilliant! LOL. Only because it's mine. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
      06-11-2016, 02:00 AM   #69
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
That first video is brilliant! LOL. Only because it's mine. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Just saw this thread posted in the diesel forum for the same reason to disable those two "features". Where can thw two programs and needed cables be found for coding?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #70
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci
Quote:
Just saw this thread posted in the diesel forum for the same reason to disable those two "features". Where can thw two programs and needed cables be found for coding?
Try bimmer.software.com (minus the .) for the cable and get the software setup from the DIY by wildcat crazy in the coding sub forum or I can give you a easy self installing pkg as well.
      06-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #71
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Try bimmer.software.com (minus the .) for the cable and get the software setup from the DIY by wildcat crazy in the coding sub forum or I can give you a easy self installing pkg as well.
For someone had never coded. Is this something that I should not attempt?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #72
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci
Quote:
For someone had never coded. Is this something that I should not attempt?
Absolutely you can. Everyone that has ever coded was a beginner once.
      07-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #73
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

So the real question, can cruise control still work with this coding having DSC Off either partially/entirely?

My issue with the 335is DCT, I use cruise control all the time. But when deactivating and putting it into DSC Off, or traction entirely off, then you want to go extreme power, and the tranny/DSC etc start slipping/interrupting the situation. Not fun. Lose convenience of cruise, gain performance vice versa.

Want best of both worlds, cruise control, and no intervention of traction controls.

Thx
      10-31-2016, 10:30 AM   #74
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
So the real question, can cruise control still work with this coding having DSC Off either partially/entirely?

My issue with the 335is DCT, I use cruise control all the time. But when deactivating and putting it into DSC Off, or traction entirely off, then you want to go extreme power, and the tranny/DSC etc start slipping/interrupting the situation. Not fun. Lose convenience of cruise, gain performance vice versa.

Want best of both worlds, cruise control, and no intervention of traction controls.

Thx
BMW programmed the DME so that when you hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds (all nannies off) you cant use cruise control. What you're saying makes no sense. If you have cruise control on there is NO REASON you'd also want traction control off lol... If you're not using cruise control there is NO REASON you cant just hold to tration control button down for 5 seconds and disable all assistance (cbc, dbc, dsc, and tc all get disabled). The only thing that still assists the driver in "timyoyo" mode is the e-diff. You can code the e-diff off if you think that is what is still holding you back, but reality is you need more TRACTION. E-diff only hits the brakes if the wheels start spinning more than 5% different speeds than each other (1 tire fire).

You can definitely code off rain brake assist, brake fade compensation, and brake disc overheating without effecting cruise control operation. You still retain all DSC functionality outlined above.

If your tranny is slipping maybe it's time to get a tuner to look into upping the clamping force (MHD offer this ability)?
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd5996.50
      11-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #75
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bNks334 View Post
BMW programmed the DME so that when you hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds (all nannies off) you cant use cruise control. What you're saying makes no sense. If you have cruise control on there is NO REASON you'd also want traction control off lol... If you're not using cruise control there is NO REASON you cant just hold to tration control button down for 5 seconds and disable all assistance (cbc, dbc, dsc, and tc all get disabled). The only thing that still assists the driver in "timyoyo" mode is the e-diff. You can code the e-diff off if you think that is what is still holding you back, but reality is you need more TRACTION. E-diff only hits the brakes if the wheels start spinning more than 5% different speeds than each other (1 tire fire).

You can definitely code off rain brake assist, brake fade compensation, and brake disc overheating without effecting cruise control operation. You still retain all DSC functionality outlined above.

If your tranny is slipping maybe it's time to get a tuner to look into upping the clamping force (MHD offer this ability)?
the guy is 100% right you want cruise enabled at all times !!! whilst out and about with other road users in the way you need to chill and wait for the right conditions to enjoy driving again. You don't want to keep phaffing around poking buttons to get the car to drive properly
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 05:31 AM   #76
kubamtx
Registered
Rep
Drives: e81 118i N43 2008

Hi
I do not have such powerful car as you, it's 118I n43 , but I'm looking for similar information.
My DTC is completely switched off when I long press the DTC button.
Diff is also not active then and it's hard to initialize the slide as one wheel spins.
With Restricted dtc it's very easy to initialize the slide but esp kicks in then when angle is to big..
I would like to have ediff active when DTC switched off.
What should I do. I can send my trc maybe this will help the others to switch off.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 03:24 PM   #77
kubamtx
Registered
Rep
Drives: e81 118i N43 2008

Ok , I did it by myself. Just changed the diff lock setting to the one which is in your cars as standard and I have ediff acting when dsc switched off which is great as I have now lots of snow and need this for nice drifting.
I've also noticed interesing setting which is Oversteer coefficient 2,3 . It looks for me like the point where dsc reacts in case of over steer. I'll try to check this and see how it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #78
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubamtx View Post
Ok , I did it by myself. Just changed the diff lock setting to the one which is in your cars as standard and I have ediff acting when dsc switched off which is great as I have now lots of snow and need this for nice drifting.
I've also noticed interesing setting which is Oversteer coefficient 2,3 . It looks for me like the point where dsc reacts in case of over steer. I'll try to check this and see how it works.
That sounds interesting, would be nice if we could code in a little more oversteer before DSC kicks in more like the M3 allows. That is my biggest complaint is that it kicks in very early and is very intrusive, would be nice if it allowed for a bit more oversteer before ruining the fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #79
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Just reviving an oldie but a goodie.

For clarification purposes, those of us that dont have the aktiv/nicht_aktiv values in NCSDummy, can we assume for parameters that have more than one or two wert options that we can safely click through the different wert options until the Data value changes to 00 and that Data: 00 means that parameter is off?

Like so:

I realize the images are taken from your YouTube video and only show the diff_lock but I dont have my 'coding' laptop with me to take a proper screenshot

Big Thanks for the video btw, it gave me the courage to even try this

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #80
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Just reviving an oldie but a goodie.

For clarification purposes, those of us that dont have the aktiv/nicht_aktiv values in NCSDummy, can we assume for parameters that have more than one or two wert options that we can safely click through the different wert options until the Data value changes to 00 and that Data: 00 means that parameter is off?

Like so:

I realize the images are taken from your YouTube video and only show the diff_lock but I dont have my 'coding' laptop with me to take a proper screenshot

Big Thanks for the video btw, it gave me the courage to even try this
A data value of 00 indicates nicht aktiv, MOST of the time. If you really want to check, expertmode code your DSC module back to default values. Everything to do with ediff will be active then. Check out the values and werts as well, now you'll know exactly what to change it to. Did you just comment on the video on YT?

Last edited by LMB335IS; 04-05-2017 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #81
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
A data value of 00 indicates nicht aktiv, MOST of the time. If you really want to check, expertmode code your DSC module back to default values. Everything to do with ediff will be active then. Check out the values and werts as well, now you'll know exactly what to change it to. Did you just comment on the video on YT?
hahah, you answered me on YouTube already but thnx x2

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #82
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Sorry for the thread bump but have a question about 2011 n55 335i xdrive.

Does the coding value parameter correspond to the N54 xdrive or E84 N55?

Reason being is that I have multiples on my trw trace file and not really sure which one to modify. I'm trying to learn how to code so an explanation would be much appreciated.

example:

Dynamic Performance Control (FDB)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_FDB
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: FDB

To disable, set to "nicht_aktiv."

My TRC file

E84_FDB
nicht_aktiv
FDB
aktiv

Electronic Differential (AX_Ref_Diff_Lock)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_AX_Ref_Diff_Lock
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: AX_Ref

My TRC file

AX_REF
aktiv
AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK
aktiv

Maximum Brake Support (HVV)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_HVV
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: HVV

My TRC file

E84_HVV
aktiv
HVV
aktiv

Brake Standby (EVB)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_EVB
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: EVB

My TRC file

EVB
aktiv
E84_EVB
aktiv

Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating (FLR)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_FLR
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: FLR_C0F

My TRC file

FLR
wert_00
FLR_COF
aktiv
E84_FLR
aktiv

Brake Fading Compensation (HPS)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_HPS
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: HPS

My TRC file

HPS
aktiv
E89_HPS
nicht_aktiv
E84_HPS
aktiv

Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_HBA
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: HBA_DXC_8

My TRC file

E84_HBA
wert_03

HBA_DXC_8
wert_03
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #83
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Sorry for the thread bump but have a question about 2011 n55 335i xdrive.

Does the coding value parameter correspond to the N54 xdrive or E84 N55?

Reason being is that I have multiples on my trw trace file and not really sure which one to modify. I'm trying to learn how to code so an explanation would be much appreciated.

example:

Dynamic Performance Control (FDB)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_FDB
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: FDB

My TRC file

E84_FDB
nicht_aktiv
FDB
aktiv

Electronic Differential (AX_Ref_Diff_Lock)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_AX_Ref_Diff_Lock
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: AX_Ref

My TRC file

AX_REF
aktiv
AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK
aktiv

Maximum Brake Support (HVV)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_HVV
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: HVV

My TRC file

E84_HVV
aktiv
HVV
aktiv

Brake Standby (EVB)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_EVB
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: EVB

My TRC file

EVB
aktiv
E84_EVB
aktiv

Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating (FLR)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_FLR
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: FLR_C0F

My TRC file

FLR
wert_00
FLR_COF
aktiv
E84_FLR
aktiv

Brake Fading Compensation (HPS)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_HPS
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: HPS

My TRC file

HPS
aktiv
E89_HPS
nicht_aktiv
E84_HPS
aktiv

Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA)

N55 X1 Parameter: e84_HBA
N54 335i xDrive Parameter: HBA_DXC_8

My TRC file

E84_HBA
wert_03

HBA_DXC_8
wert_03
Are you actually reading your DSC module with NCS before you look for the values? Or, are you just connecting to your car with NCS and looking at the TRC file?

The first TRC that's generated contains some values that do not pertain to your car. You actually have to follow through with reading your DSC so you get a DSC specific TRC file.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #84
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Thumbs up

Excellent thread ! I used both the blog post and the video on e-diff coding.

I finally coded out what I could find, which seems to only be (I used the names form the blog post to have easier references):
  1. Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating (FLR) -> on mine C0A_FLR
  2. Brake Fading Compensation (HPS) -> on mine C0B_FBS
  3. Electronic Differential (AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK) -> on mine C0A_DIFF_LOCK

So first questions:
  • my brake comp shows up as FBS not HPS. Is that ok/normal ? Maybe due to different platform, or engine (n52) ?
  • could not find 3 of the other nannies = Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA) - Brake Standby (EVB) - Dynamic Performance Control (FDB). Again, is that because of diff platform/non-xi ?

Next questions:
  1. what is this oversteer friction coeff ? see first pic. (if that could dial more oversteer that'd be great I don't like the understeer they engineered in)
  2. what does the electronic brake control actuation ECBA in the 2nd pic do ?
Attached Images

. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #85
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
Excellent thread ! I used both the blog post and the video on e-diff coding.

I finally coded out what I could find, which seems to only be (I used the names form the blog post to have easier references):
  1. Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating (FLR) -> on mine C0A_FLR
  2. Brake Fading Compensation (HPS) -> on mine C0B_FBS
  3. Electronic Differential (AX_REF_DIFF_LOCK) -> on mine C0A_DIFF_LOCK

So first questions:
  • my brake comp shows up as FBS not HPS. Is that ok/normal ? Maybe due to different platform, or engine (n52) ?
  • could not find 3 of the other nannies = Hydraulic Brake Assist (HBA) - Brake Standby (EVB) - Dynamic Performance Control (FDB). Again, is that because of diff platform/non-xi ?

Next questions:
  1. what is this oversteer friction coeff ? see first pic. (if that could dial more oversteer that'd be great I don't like the understeer they engineered in)
  2. what does the electronic brake control actuation ECBA in the 2nd pic do ?

Hey,

Did coding off ediff help with your car or do you still get some braking with dsc off? Drive any different to you?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:39 PM   #86
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Did coding off ediff help with your car or do you still get some braking with dsc off? Drive any different to you?
It's been kinda cold and wet here, and it's been all street driving so far. But I do feel like all this braking that used to not just annoy me but also to destabilize the car mid-turn is gone, and the car behaves more predictably.

Like any other improvement, I also think that slowly I will just take it for granted and not really be able to evaluate it properly any further...
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete

Last edited by DaanBMW; 03-01-2018 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #87
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
It's been kinda cold and wet here, and it's been all street driving so far. But I do feel like all this braking that used to not just annoy me but also to destabilize the car mid-turn is gone, and the car behaves more predictably.

Like any other improvement, I also think that slowly I will just take it for granted and not really be able to evaluate it properly any further...

I understand. It's cold and rainy here to.

Update us when weather improves.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #88
Arthuar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330xd 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I think my car uses a different file than you guys with n54 335is do. It is a 2014 E84 X1 35i M sport with N55 engine.

My XDSC module uses DSC_84.C04

The relevant settings are:

E84_FLR - Engine power Reduction (prevent brake disc overheating by reducing engine power) - nicht_aktiv

E84_AX_REF_Diff_Lock - nicht_aktiv

There is also E84_FDB (Dynamic Performance Control) which has to do with corner braking. This is set to aktiv but I will try disabling for my next track day.
I drop few lines in an old thread.
Then, if was right what I got reading this thread, this the lines I have to disable to get my 330xd at its full potential without any brakes prob, ain'it?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0