E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best towels for drying, waxing, etc...

08-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Best towels for drying, waxing, etc...

I've always used generic cotton towels to dry my car and apply/remove wax. This is my first black car and I'm realizing these probably aren't great towels on the paint.

What are the best towels for the job?

And does anyone use a squeegee to dry their car? My friend owns a detail shop and he swears by it. But I'm afraid it will scratch the hell out of the paint if the tiniest piece of dirt gets trapped under the squeegee.

Thanks!

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I've always used generic cotton towels to dry my car and apply/remove wax. This is my first black car and I'm realizing these probably aren't great towels on the paint.

And does anyone use a squeegee to dry their car? My friend owns a detail shop and he swears by it. But I'm afraid it will scratch the hell out of the paint if the tiniest piece of dirt gets trapped under the squeegee.

Thanks!
Hope I can help with some guidance. Look up and learn about micro fibers they are the best thing for your paint because the fibers suck up the water and pull it off he surface rather than dragging it across the paint like cotton towels. Waffle weave towels are the best for drying and I use "uber no name green" towels for buffing wax off. I also have some from The Rag Company which are about 600 GSM. They have great prices.

The squeegee is a BIG no no because if there's any dirt at all, it will be ground into the paint when you drag it across the surface. If you own a detail shop and use one, you shouldn't be in business...

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
I would recommend a microfiber waffle weave towel for drying. One is enough to dry my car and I never worry about scratching.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 12:37 AM   #4
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02

Thanks!
I use Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy 25" x 17". It's super soft and very absorbent. Just make sure you wash and dry it properly or you'll just wind up ruining it. You should also use a drying aid whenever drying your car after a wash. It makes a big difference. Right now I'm using Wolfgang's Uber Rinseless (diluted as a detail spray) which is phenomenal. Paint is so glossy and slick afterwards. What I do is rinse the towel with water and wring it out, then lightly mist the car with the detail spray and lightly wipe it down.
I would definitely advise against using a squeegee on your car. You would just wind up scratching it.
      08-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Dyeraudio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazChem View Post
I would recommend a microfiber waffle weave towel for drying. One is enough to dry my car and I never worry about scratching.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/
Exactly! Same here......
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

Use an electric leaf blower and touch up leftover water with a Pluffle waffle weave from The Rag Company. I always moisten my towel with a light mist of spray detailer to add a little extra pop. With a black car, you need to learn paint correction if you don't already know how. That is the Holy Grail for a black car owner.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #7
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
Use an electric leaf blower and touch up leftover water with a Pluffle waffle weave from The Rag Company. I always moisten my towel with a light mist of spray detailer to add a little extra pop. With a black car, you need to learn paint correction if you don't already know how. That is the Holy Grail for a black car owner.
+1, use air to dry your car and touch up with microfiber and detail spray. You will be thankful many washes later that you dont have to polish out the swirls you inflicted with drying over time.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmdvl View Post
+1, use air to dry your car and touch up with microfiber and detail spray. You will be thankful many washes later that you dont have to polish out the swirls you inflicted with drying over time.
Exactly. If it was possible to wash the car without touching it, I think many of us would be using that method!

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
Dyeraudio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
You hit it dead on.....when I first got my car the sight under parking lot lights was atrocious....since getting my Griots DA & creams its a whole new ballgame...same said for waffle weave & leaf blowers....my neighbors just shake their heads and smile......soon they'll come knocking....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #10
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Thanks for the suggestions! I just got 2 large Autofiber microfiber waffle drying towels and 12 smaller Chemical Guys microfiber towels.

Can I wash these like my regular clothes, or do they need special treatment?

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #11
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Thanks for the suggestions! I just got 2 large Autofiber microfiber waffle drying towels and 12 smaller Chemical Guys microfiber towels.

You have to wash the towels separate from your clothes. In addition, wash your waffle weave separate from your microfiber towels. Don't wash your drying towels with towels you use to remove wax, polish etc. They make dedicated microfiber detergents but you can also use All Free & Clear or Tide Free & Gentle (which you can get at a local store). Just make sure that the detergent has no dyes or perfumes in it. I wash my towels on hot or warm water setting (do not use fabric softener). You can add a little bit of distilled white vinegar for the rinsing process (also do a second rinse).

For drying, I dry them on low for 3 to 4 minutes, remove them and then hang them to finish drying. Don't use bounce sheets when drying your towels.
      08-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #12
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post

Wash using tide free & clear or MicroRestore on cold or warm settings. No dyes or fabric softener and do not wash normal clothes with them. Wash the dirty microfibers separate from everything else so you don't cross contaminate the cleaner ones. Some people dry on low heat an entire cycle, but I put them in low heat for 5 minutes to fluff them up and let them air dry the rest.

It sounds insane at first, but when you have microfibers in great condition it's well worth it!

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #13
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I have a Black Sapphire Metallic and have been avoiding microfiber or any dry wiping in general using a good DeWalt cordless blower, it is half the price of a Metro Vac and works wonders (assuming you have a good, swirl-free, protected paintwork) and the water will glide away easily.
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3537.00
      09-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
I have a Black Sapphire Metallic and have been avoiding microfiber or any dry wiping in general using a good DeWalt cordless blower, it is half the price of a Metro Vac and works wonders (assuming you have a good, swirl-free, protected paintwork) and the water will glide away easily.
Yes, ideally you'd want to not touch the surface if possible!

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #15
Brandon818
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is, 2018 M5, 2003 M3,

Garage List
2022 Mexico Blau M ...  [0.00]
2003 Bmw M3  [0.00]
2018 Bmw M5  [0.00]
2012 BMW 335is  [0.00]
never use cotton towels!!! leaf blower for drying, and for applying/removing was, i use a cg Sasquatch towel
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

The DetailedImage Waffle Weave is the best. Back in 2010 I wrote the following on DI's website:
I love when these go on sale so I can stock up. The waffle weave does make a difference compared to normal microfiber towels, it really soaks up the water. And unlike some competitor's products, I never have lint issues with my DI towels, and it's safer on the soft BMW paint than cotton, chamois, or an "Absorber".

In 6 years of use, washing, etc, they are still very absorbant, and only rarely leave any lint behind.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/Waffle-Weave-Drying-Towel-P100/36-x-24-S1/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #17
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

I use the rag company DRY ME A RIVER waffle weave microfiber towel...pretty awesome. can snatch some off amazon for pretty good prices with prime shipping
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #18
jtt328
Private
Rep
Drives: 328I

Has anyone done a write up on how they detail their black car?

I'm getting ready to detail mine this weekend and curious some of the methods others use.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtt328 View Post
Has anyone done a write up on how they detail their black car?

I'm getting ready to detail mine this weekend and curious some of the methods others use.

Thanks!
What type of detail?

Shameless plug, but my YouTube channel has a lot of info that might be helpful to you. I have a "Full Correction Detail Series" and also plenty of other detailing videos outlining my other processes. I own a white car, but it's essentially the same process. Hope it helps!

www.youtube.com/bmb063
www.bmb063.com

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 12:36 AM   #20
tnsguypat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

I agree with everyone above on the waffle weave drying towel. However, I have discovered one better, the Griot's Garage PFM towels. They have big ones specifically for drying or just any of the PFM towels. They are a microfiber towel that has been woven into a terry weave just like a normal towel. It's the best of both worlds. I use them for everything! Drying, buffing off wax, detail spray, glass cleaning, waterless wash. They are the best towels I have ever used. I would tell everyone on here to at least try them. It's really mind blowing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 02:39 AM   #21
car_detailing_diy
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

For the best car drying towel, check out https://cardetailingdiy.com/car-drying-towels/ Avoid using generic cotton towels as they may not be suitable for your black car's paint. Microfiber towels are recommended for their gentle and effective drying and wax application. As for using a squeegee, it can be risky as it might scratch the paint if dirt gets trapped. Stick to microfiber towels for safe and scratch-free drying. Happy detailing!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 08:38 AM   #22
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I too have a BSM E92 and find it best to limit what touches the paint, a leaf blower does great at getting most of the water off the paint. Next, I use a chamois to dry and microfiber towels to remove wax.